Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remove the stud bolt from my final drive (item #26 on the diagram). I darn near lifted the rear of the bike trying to turn it with a BIG breaker bar and, of course, rounded the bolt. I'd really like to reattach the fake swing arm as I've read that several members have successfully done so using VS1400 final drives on their mod.

Any suggestions to remove the stud would be appreciated. It's probably been in there untouched since 1991.

Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
it's probably corroded in there.
Get some penetrating oil, spray liberally and let soak.
Then try to wrench it loose.
as for rounding the bolt, get 2 nuts and put them on the stud and lock them to each other. try to remove again.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
I have converted many of these drives (upwards of 25 and of those 10 were VS1400 drives.. 3 of them had stuck studs... Tried everything.. breaker bars, high end impact and modified sockets, pipe wrenches and crap loads of heat!.. NO WAY it was budging. ended up with one the rider just left it on there.. and 2 I ended up machining it flat, the drilling and tapping a hole for a smallish screw and made a neat as a pin aluminum cover disc to cover the "stump" It can be ground off easy enough with a grinder with a cut off wheel... Trust me some of them them will NOT come out.. been there done that!... if you have tried impact.. ok.. try getting a Metric socket (22mm I think) and grind/machine the end so the hex has no taper coming into it (take about 1/8" off a deep socket or impact deep socket) That gives maximum hex on the stud..and you MAY have luck then. Regular sockets have a lead in on the hex and there's not enough engagement and they round off fast on this particular application. Good luck.. I found BTW pen oil did nothing. These things are lock tited in there with RED permanent thread locker- Very hard to deal with sometimes.. Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Penetrating oil is not what I use. You need a catalyst.

Get some PB and let it soak for an hour. Then spray it again and let it soak for another hour.

PB Penetrating Catalyst

Aerokroil

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Penetrating oil is not what I use. You need a catalyst.

Get some PB and let it soak for an hour. Then spray it again and let it soak for another hour.

PB Penetrating Catalyst

Aerokroil
Boy! I have a can of that in my shop. Haven't use it yet but now I am glad I have it. I will need it sooner or later.

I think I picked it up at Home Depot.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Assuming it is Red Loctite, heat is the answer:

This will generate a concern from some about heating the stud and what it will do to the case. IMO - I wouldn't be extremely concerned because the C90 drive I scavenged to install on my C50 was from a new bike in a showroom that burned down. There was no apparent damage inside the drive besides the seal shrinking a little but it (the seal) was still usable. The oil in the drive seemed to absorb the damaging heat. Two yrs later it still runs like a top with the original hub seal!

Here are the before pics to show how much heat it was exposed to and pics of the drive after I polished it:

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! I picked up some PB Penetrating Catalyst on the way home and will try that first with a ground down socket. I do like the heat application that the video shows. Just wish I knew for certain that Red Locktite was the chief culprit. Worst case is I'll have a naked final drive but...a much sweeter ride. :wayhappy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts