Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the absolute strongest epoxy you've ever used?

We had some stuff at work called "liquid shim". It was used to both fill the void between two pieces of metal (magnesium) and provide a bond. It was a two part epoxy that when set was actualy machinable, once set we would drill through it and install a bolt. What's the strongest you've ever used?
Viper

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
we had a 2 part apoxy called plexus at work
we used it to install the 4 inch thick windshields on armored cars
tuff stuff, had to hold the window in at crash tests

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no1rvguy said:
Ok, inquiring minds want to know.....What did ya break......
With any luck you'll never know :lol:

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
When I was working construction we used this stuff to glue anchors into the concrete ceilings. Rotor hammer a hole, put this capsul of epoxy in it, then drive the anchor in with a hammer. We would then hang huge air handlers and such from them.

My second choice would be my wife's chocolate fudge but we don't want to go there, do we! :lol:

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Chocolate fudge? I don't know if I would have said that out loud!?!?!?!

:shock:

I used liquid shim in the AF occasionally for repairs. Good stuff. Used more of it building airplanes at Boeing though. Drill it, cut it whatever you need to do.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jimKo said:
Fudge! LOL

Viper,
Ever heard of "Velodur Alumabond?"

You can glue an F-16 together with that s**t!
Well that's what this liquid shim $hit was. We had to replace all the leading edge flap rotary actuators 'cause of a time change. The support mounts were put in place with "liquid shim". It would get me to the exact elevation of the mount 'cause the excess would ooze out and we would trim it off with a die grinder. Then once set up we'd drill though it and install a 10/32 bolt. That $hit machined like 'luminum. I either need some of that or a fudge recipie.
Viper

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jimKo said:
We had to replace all the leading edge flap rotary actuators 'cause of a time change.
The command servo or the whole PDU?
No it was the rotary actuaters themselves. Time change due to assemetry brake failure. Command servo or PDU, either one was a royal PIA. Whatever engineer designed the PDU musta caught a crew chief screwing his wife and decided to get even with the SOB!! :lol:
Viper

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
That PDU is a nightmare...

I rebuilt those when I was a depot worker at McClellan in pneudralics.
There's like 1800 parts inside there :shock:

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jimKo said:
That PDU is a nightmare...

I rebuilt those when I was a depot worker at McClellan in pneudralics.
There's like 1800 parts inside there :shock:
We dreaded just gett'n it out of the airplane :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts