Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had plans to help my buddy replace his clutch assembly with a Barnett Clutch pack and springs before our ride to Daytona on Saturday. I did all the prep work I could think of. Ordered the clutch cover gasket. Soaked the clutch plates in oil overnight. Went to pull off the exhaust header to gain access to the clutch cover and the bolts were super super tight. We tried to be gentle on the Allen head bolts, but they were too soft and stripped. I guess it was a blessing, cause we waited til the last minute before our trip. Better to stop right there, than to get too far and not have the bike available for Bike week. So my buddy has to deal with a slipping clutch for another week. He has gone this long. I'm just trying to think this through, though, cause we will still have to deal with it sooner than later. Anyone know the best way to get the bolts loose without snapping them off in the cylinders? The forward bolt is not at a good angle to get any grip on it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
I had plans to help my buddy replace his clutch assembly with a Barnett Clutch pack and springs before our ride to Daytona on Saturday. I did all the prep work I could think of. Ordered the clutch cover gasket. Soaked the clutch plates in oil overnight. Went to pull off the exhaust header to gain access to the clutch cover and the bolts were super super tight. We tried to be gentle on the Allen head bolts, but they were too soft and stripped. I guess it was a blessing, cause we waited til the last minute before our trip. Better to stop right there, than to get too far and not have the bike available for Bike week. So my buddy has to deal with a slipping clutch for another week. He has gone this long. I'm just trying to think this through, though, cause we will still have to deal with it sooner than later. Anyone know the best way to get the bolts loose without snapping them off in the cylinders? The forward bolt is not at a good angle to get any grip on it.

A little heat is your friend.... if you don't have a torch, get the bike warmed up and use gloves around the exhaust pipe......

Is the ''hex'' stripped out so the driver won't catch AT ALL? If there is enough of the hex left to catch a bit, use a ball end hex driver like this..... Sealey Ball End Hex Key Socket Sets - Demon Tweeks

If there is no other way, I've had some luck using a cold chisel and hammer by getting the edge of the cold chisel to bite into the circumference of the head to get the fastener to rotate. The jar of the hammer blow sometimes will be enough to break the bolt loose....

or if you have a ''hammer impact'' set.... TEKTON 2905 3/8-Inch Drive Impact Driver Set, 7-Piece - Amazon.com

The hammer impact is super valuable to working on bikes where the Phillips head fasteners are seized.... the blow jars the seized threads while turning it to loosen......

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those a great suggestions, Gene. The hex is totally stripped on one, the other maybe not. I actually do have a hammer impact buried in my toolbox somewhere, and a torch. I was going to try the torch, I just want sure how to grab the head. I was thinking about a screw extractor bit, but was worried the head my snap off. I may need to sharpen some of my chisels too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just changed out my pipes yesterday and had the same problem. Had to use the Irwin extractor on the bolt. Worked great. The bolt could even have been reused after the extraction. I was very impressed with how well they worked.
Also, on the other nasty little bolts, I used the Allen wrenches with the ball on the end. They really help when you can't get a good fit inside the bolt.
I say, "I", but truth be told, my good buddy Zack was the man behind the wrenches and the extractor. Just throwing out a little Love.

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
JB blast on the threads and THEN heat them using the motor, while warm, use an impact gun (electric or air) to break the oxidation weld, the bolt may not turn but this usually will break the weld. This comes from the different types of metal being in prolonged contact cycles. Apply anti-seize compound to those header bolts when you re-assemble them and next time they will not stick. I have done this many times over (small engines/ automobiles) and have never had any issues with sticking header bolts thereafter.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still waiting on my buddy to decide when we are gonna fix it. His clutch is slipping really bad now and his pipes are cracked at the headers. He is waiting to gets some cash for some new pipes so we can do the whole job at once.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts