Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a 03 vl800. Bought a year ago and all has been fine until yesterday.
I could hear a random knock/pop from the rear wheel area. Knocks more with the speed of the bike and if I switch it off it's still there so it's not engine related. Got it home and lifted it. Span the wheel and no noise?? Back on the ground if I push it about 6mtrs forward or back it knocks but at random points .
As I had the wheel off I easily pulled the brake side bearing out of the wheel.
Now I'm not brilliant at mechanical things but ok.. should that have come out so easy and could that cause a knock/pop noise? Thinking I'll replace them both anyway but wandering if there is anything else I should check?

Sorry for the long description

·
Super Moderator
20,502 Posts
welcome to the forum here...hang in there and hopefully someone will come along with some suggestions or help...good luck, ride safe and enjoy the riding season.

·
Super Moderator
25,274 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

It certainly could be the bearing. I'm not sure if it should come out easily or not, but I have seen bearings make noises when weight of applied, but move quietly with no load.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've ordered new bearings and will have another play about tomorrow... wife has put me on a bike ban today as it's her birthday..haha

·
Super Moderator
25,274 Posts
I've ordered new bearings and will have another play about tomorrow... wife has put me on a bike ban today as it's her birthday..haha
Tell her that we here at the VR wish her a happy birthday. Spoil the queen today, the bike will be there tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Consider removing the shaft drive assembly. The splines at the rear where it connects to the gear case, were often not greased adequately from new. The shaft is removed from the gear case. It's not especially difficult and you will have peace of mind knowing both splines are properly lubed. These splines take a special "Moly Paste" lube. Both Honda and Suzuki sell it in a tube. Don't confuse it with moly grease. Moly grease is not Moly Paste. You should consider getting a new snap ring and dust seal if you do it. There are threads in here if you do a search. DJ drive threads will also contain the info you need for lubing your shaft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Consider removing the shaft drive assembly. The splines at the rear where it connects to the gear case, were often not greased adequately from new. The shaft is removed from the gear case. It's not especially difficult and you will have peace of mind knowing both splines are properly lubed. These splines take a special "Moly Paste" lube. Both Honda and Suzuki sell it in a tube. Don't confuse it with moly grease. Moly grease is not Moly Paste. You should consider getting a new snap ring and dust seal if you do it. There are threads in here if you do a search. DJ drive threads will also contain the info you need for lubing your shaft.
Will look into this whilst its apart.. thanks for the advice..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Clicking/popping randomly from the rear wheel only when weight is applied is almost certainly a wheel bearing. Pull rear wheel, side axle in a little bit, lean on the axle while rolling the wheel. Chances are you'll feel the click/pop in the axle.

On shaft drive bikes, more often than not it's the side opposite the driveshaft, but check both. Personally, if one bearing is bad on a wheel, I change both as the other is likely not too far behind it, and it's only another few bucks.

Bearings are generic parts. The size is almost always stamped on the edge of the outer race. 6002 and 6005 are common motorcycle wheel bearing sizes. You can get them from a local bearing supplier (for considerably less than Suzuki will want), or order them online, just be wary of too-cheap counterfeit bearings on sites like ebay or amazon. A quality brand bearing should be $8-$10 each. Auto parts stores sometimes carry them as well, although in my experience they're quite pricey there.

You can buy the kits from All Balls, and while I personally haven't had any issues with them, they are generic/unbranded Chinese bearings, and you definitely pay for the convenience of them putting 2 bearings and seals in a box for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clicking/popping randomly from the rear wheel only when weight is applied is almost certainly a wheel bearing. Pull rear wheel, side axle in a little bit, lean on the axle while rolling the wheel. Chances are you'll feel the click/pop in the axle.

On shaft drive bikes, more often than not it's the side opposite the driveshaft, but check both. Personally, if one bearing is bad on a wheel, I change both as the other is likely not too far behind it, and it's only another few bucks.

Bearings are generic parts. The size is almost always stamped on the edge of the outer race. 6002 and 6005 are common motorcycle wheel bearing sizes. You can get them from a local bearing supplier (for considerably less than Suzuki will want), or order them online, just be wary of too-cheap counterfeit bearings on sites like ebay or amazon. A quality brand bearing should be $8-$10 each. Auto parts stores sometimes carry them as well, although in my experience they're quite pricey there.

You can buy the kits from All Balls, and while I personally haven't had any issues with them, they are generic/unbranded Chinese bearings, and you definitely pay for the convenience of them putting 2 bearings and seals in a box for you.
Thanks for the reply..
I've stripped it all down and the only thing that stands out is the brake side bearing came out with my fingers.. I've cleaned the hub and old bearing and when I re sit that one the whole thing can spin slightly (not freely but more than it should) so I'm thinking that's causing the noise ....
I've ordered new bearings to fit and have been looking online and people recommend a bead of loctite bearing weld(cant remember the exact name) to seat it properly and then ideally look for a new rim/hub.
Saying that I've not tried the drive side bearing in the brake side to see if it's the hub or bearing so may just be the bearing causing the movement issue..
Doest help having a 200 wide tyre on so I cant get that off with out letting g the air out or removing the shaft lol

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Really shouldn't be any need for a bearing adhesive- they are a press fit. You mean the entire bearing easily pulled out by hand? That would have to mean it's been spinning/wearing the hub for some time, and at this point, the hub/wheel would need to be replaced, as the new one will not fit tightly either. Even still, first I've ever heard of that happening. Usually the bearing grenades before it would "lock up" and start spinning in it's hub.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really shouldn't be any need for a bearing adhesive- they are a press fit. You mean the entire bearing easily pulled out by hand? That would have to mean it's been spinning/wearing the hub for some time, and at this point, the hub/wheel would need to be replaced, as the new one will not fit tightly either. Even still, first I've ever heard of that happening. Usually the bearing grenades before it would "lock up" and start spinning in it's hub.
It came out in my hands but I needed to pull it a bit if that makes sense.. so it came out easier than it should...
New ones turned up today and I can only push the brake side one in half way by hand so it may well have been the bearing more so than the hub.. hoping to fit it all back together the weekend so will update how it went..
Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well..... got round to fixing it all back together today. Took it for a quick spin to make sure brakes were ok and all seems ok atm..
Thanks for all the advice ;)

Plus its happy to see some sun

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts