Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been lots of tinkering around with exhausts through the years here...but I'm asking if anyone has ever tried the following combination.

I have some Straightshots with baffles...and they're just too darn loud for me. They have 1-3/4" header pipes, and HD Dyna mufflers are made to fit 1-3/4" pipes. Also, the Vance & Hines bracket seems like it was tailor-made for the mounts on the older Dyna mufflers. Has anyone tried this combination?

Thanks for any input y'all would like to give.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Oh, great timing. I was just looking at some dyna pipes at a swap meet and thinking I might be able to cobble something together. I'm curious to see how this works out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mufflers fit...not perfectly, but they fit. And I like the mellow tone. I don't have to worry about waking the neighbors now.

Regarding fit...the mufflers have a couple of bumps inside them...probably to align with slots in the Harley header pipe. So either the header pipes should be notched to match the bumps, or the bumps have to be ground out. I chose to notch the header pipes just a bit. The mufflers don't go on all the way...if I had worked more on making it happen, I probably could have. But having a slight gap didn't offend me, and the header pipe ended up about 2 inches into the muffler, which was enough for me.

The muffler bracket aligned enough for me to get one mounting bolt in per pipe. We'll see how that works.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anyone else decides to do this...take some advice and grind out the tabs. I didn't have the means to do this, but it would have been a better solution.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That sounds great. I've been wanting a mellower tone, but living in a retirement community and getting home between 3 and 4am, loud just isn't going to fly. I think I'll give this a shot over the winter, thanks.

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
I used a set of HD Sportster mufflers (05' or older) on Cobra headpipes on my C50 and all I had to do was make a bracket to hang the mufflers off the OEM spot. Drove a stake thru the baffle and "voila", nice look and nice sound.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on using HD Road Glide mufflers? I have a buddy who has a road glide with Rhineharts and his stock mufflers are mine if I can use them. So can I use them? lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts