Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the drilling and debaffleing, still left me with a set of megaphones hanging off of the standard header pipes... And Heavy megaphones they are too because the double walled hulls of what remains of the stock pipes are Heavy . So some lengths of muffler Moly with baffles are next, The both of these and the baffles I want to use are lighter than one stock muffler . The bike already has a dynajet kit ,128 main, dyna needle dyna spring, stock idle jet , stock airbox... And since I am reusing the stock header pipes no jetting should be necessary ... My plan is to incorporate the stock crossover too . Has anyone had any experience with straight pipes on these Volusias? mines an 03 , 44 mpg hiway , 38 city..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good question. I guess you could say I'm cheap. The object in my mind is not for performance as much as it is for the weight savings. I also like the double wall construction of the front header pipe ,and the heat-shielding arrangement of the stock pipes . Theres an old story about bikers doing customs years ago that had them using the old aircooled wolkswagen exhaust pipe ends as baffles. The german originals of these have nice chrome on them and are still available , New Original Stock. . These would fit well into the ends of my 1and a 1/2 inch diameter pipe stubs... The down side to this is that the front muffler has a bend in it exiting the header pipe .I'm not sure just going straight out the front header pipe will clear the swingarm. This bent tube also carries the crossover pipe slip joint. It would be necessary for me to either Fab out the bend and tube , or cut the front muffler off real close to the muffler body saving as much of the tube to weld that baffled stub onto . I can do this . learned welding working on rusted out VW's... But its a winter project..here in Chicago I still can ride thrue November, Our toys for tots motorcycle motorcade , is run in Early December for instance . .So I have a couple months to screw up the courage to do this ..

·
Registered
602 Posts
How about a slip-on muffler from JC Whitney or something from a Harley?

I'm sure you could find something cheap.

Easy way to go would be to get stainless exhaust pipe and weld in a reducer to fit over the stock header. Get the pipe to match the diameter of the heat shields on the header pipe.

Or, get $300 and get some V&H Straighshots and enjoy the benefits of weight loss, free-er revving and a nice rumble! I prefer this method!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey mascman , thanks for your reply... Most Harley stuff is 1inch and 3/4 , the diameter of the stock header is in rough metric to sae , about 1inch 3/8, And yes there probably is a set of slip ons in the whitney , Your better suggestion about the V&H straight shots is probably the way to go , I'm curious as to how you rejetted , likely you arent running the stock filter combo tho.. The dynakit jets came with instructions to go up to 130 main if i change to a slip on or free flowing exhaust , (non stock header pipes) ... Ive got the jet s so maybe the $300 will come in sometime ... take it lite

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh the jets aren't a problem , I bought the whole kit from Dynajet, from the dealer. Ive posted around in reply and primarily in response to mileage questions . Mine improved a bit with a rejet, muffler drill. 128 main jet and dynajet needle. I dragged two of my closest friends into biking. I gave my older Honda 750 to my brother to get him into bikes and another friend bought the Volusia as well. He has resisted any attempt to modify , even to the point of leaving the idle mix screw still blocked off.. His as Mine are 03's . Someday he might make some changes , and of course I will have a garage full of castoff mods.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts