Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take a two-and-a-half-hour ride to Delaware on July 4th weekend for some business. When I got to Coastal Highway it was stop and go traffic. A small group of motorcycles were riding on the shoulder so I followed along behind them. Eventually I wound up leading the pack but had to get back into traffic at a particular point. The other bikes started passing me on the shoulder and, as I was looking in my right hand mirror for the last bike to go by, I crashed (10-20mph) into the SUV in front of me. I was thrown over the handlebars and wound up with a grade 3 shoulder separation, busted front fender, handlebars a little out of alignment, and front right turn signal not working. There are no helmet laws in Delaware but I wear all the gear all the time and I am glad that I do. I went ahead and finished the job I had to do and then checked into the hospital to make sure nothing was broken. That was where they told me that I had a grade 3 shoulder separation and I will always have this lump on my shoulder. We are now a month from the accident and I have very good range of movement with my left arm. The 2008 M50 that I was riding was totaled by the insurance company. I used the settlement money to buy a 2007 C50 with no accident history and recently serviced by the dealer I was buying it from. Point being, always wear all the gear.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
that time of year in that location is dangerous no matter what your riding/driving

glad you walked away

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Welcome and glad to hear you are going to be okay.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Glad your ok. In hindsight, if you will, for those here wanting to learn from this incident, what would you have done differently to avoid an accident?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. I am glad you are healing up and that you got another bike!

·
Super Moderator
19,720 Posts
glad your for the most part ok...not a big supporter of anyone riding in a break down lane...too easy for sh*t to happen...hope the healing goes well.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Glad you're ok.
My first rule is never ride on holidays.

Too many people drinking.
Too many people in a hurry.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good to hear ya made it! Welcome to the "I hurt myself today" club...Lol. It sucks at first, then later on, you can sit back, laugh about it, and tell the grandkids about the "horrible accident" you were in when you were younger. Embellish the story a bit...they won't care...Lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts