Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good observation. The bad boy looks to be more chromy than the stebel, to me anyway. Not sure if the decrese in db is going to be that noticeable though. Still not sold yet on either.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Yeah, it does look more chromey. If I was you & was thinking about it, I'd get on their e-mail list and wait for it to go on sale.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
iron_cowboy said:
Good observation. The bad boy looks to be more chromy than the stebel, to me anyway. Not sure if the decrese in db is going to be that noticeable though. Still not sold yet on either.
I have the non Chrome one (bad boy)... and next to a few of the stebels.. It sounded just as loud.... either one IMO is a great addition to your bike for added safety.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Wolo is a couple of db less than the Stebel but otherwise they're the same.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
fletch24990 said:
The stebel is a few bucks cheaper so I'd do like Red-C-50 said and get on mailing list and wait for a sale.
The chrome stebel here is $41.95, I think this is where I got mine from.
http://www.bikerhiway.com/stebel-na...p-279.html?utm_medium=frgl&utm_source=froogle
Those aren't chrome. They are "chrome-ish" and better than nothing. That bad boy's chrome looks better, and the new "real" chrome Stebel looks even better :)

It's a little spendy though...

http://www.stebel-usa.com/product/3...Road/28/Nautilus_Compact_Tuning_Horn__Chrome/

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
A couple things....

From what I have heard the expected lifespan of the Stebel varies widely. So, spending $115 on a "real" chrome one is not in my future, I can tell you that.

Also, I understand that Stebel rates the horn at 139dB measured at a distance of four inches. I don't know for sure but I was told the industry standard is measuring at one meter. That's a big difference when you are talking about sound pressure. 139dB is commonly equated to a jet engine on takeoff. The Stebel is nowhere near as loud as a jet engine on takeoff. It's entirely possible the Stebel and the BadBoy are equally loud.

Here is my "fake" chrome Stebel.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I believe both are rated the same dBs at 1 meter, if not the Wolo a little higher.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
OTG said:
I think they are both the same horn marketed by two different companies.
I concur with this. The one I picked up at a local Autozone (think it is Wolo) has the Stebel name right on the horn itself. Same horn just marketed under a different name.

·
Registered
363 Posts
When my wife got me my Stebel (bikerhighway, I think) it came with all the connectors and shrink tubing as well as directions that seemed to be geared towards installation on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess I'm just a Stebel Traitor. I had one installed, but removed it after only a few months. Don't get me wrong, it's a great product, and plenty loud. I just didn't like the high pitch; sounded like something you would hear coming out of a little British car to me. I recently installed a pair of Wolo Maxi Sound 325-2T (one high tone, one low tone). These horns are as loud as the horns in my Dodge 1-ton dually, and have a similar tone. I kept all of the wiring and relay I installed for the Stebel, and just ran the new dual wires from the relay to the new Wolos. They were about $35 plus shipping, directly from wolo-mfg.com.

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/325-2t-big.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts