Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! I haven't really looked closely, but have any of you guys had trouble with your Stebel? I've had mine for quite a while now and just recently have started having trouble with mine. The first indication that something was different happened when I noticed that the thing stopped working unless the bike was running. That's been happening since last summer. I actually had to be traveling down the road to get it to work. Then the other day, as I was taking off from work, I tooted the horn at a co-worker and the dang thing stuck. I couldn't get it to stop at all. I finally jumped off the bike and pulled the wires. After a couple of days my hearing returned and I tried to hook it back up and it still screamed whenever I touched the hot wire to the horn. I took the switch apart thinking the button might be stuck. Nothing amiss there. Then I decided to wack it (the horn) with the handle of a screwdriver. After that I tried the wire and was able to hook it up without losing my hearing. Now it won't work at all. Got any suggestions? I suspicion the horn itself has gone kaputt. :(

·
Registered
235 Posts
stebel

I have no stebel here however that sounds like dirt or corrosion. Can you disassemble and clean the interior?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: stebel

misguidedute said:
I have no stebel here however that sounds like dirt or corrosion. Can you disassemble and clean the interior?
I thought of that, but I can't see that there is any way to disassemble the thing. No screws or bolts, just tabs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
our you using a relay. it might be a bad relay. if the switch is fine. something is causing it to receive power when it shouldn't so its either the switch or relay is the problem.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
notorious_carl said:
our you using a relay. it might be a bad relay. if the switch is fine. something is causing it to receive power when it shouldn't so its either the switch or relay is the problem.
Well, it worked fine, too fine soundwise, until I whacked the horn itself on the top with the screwdriver, so I think it has to do with the horn itself for some reason since that's the only thing I did when it wouldn't shut up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Way2Kul said:
Well, it worked fine, too fine soundwise, until I whacked the horn itself on the top with the screwdriver, so I think it has to do with the horn itself for some reason since that's the only thing I did when it wouldn't shut up.
the only way for the horn to work is for it to get power so even if u have damaged something in the horn by whacking it with a screwdriver won't make it constantly blow unless it is receiving power. so it has to be a bad relay or bad switch on the handle bar.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it ISN'T working now. Hasn't since I whacked it. BEFORE I whacked it, it wouldn't stop screaming.

·
Administrator
54,232 Posts
Way2Kul said:
notorious_carl said:
Can you contact the selling vendor, and ask for a replacement horn?

Perhaps a mouse or wasp nested inside of the horn unit?

Just a thought.

:wink:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed, that is a thought. However, I've probably have had it too long now. I'll just have to get another one, I guess. I just wondered if anyone else had a similar problem. Of course, I couldn't be lucky enough for a simple solution. :(

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Red-C-50 said:
Psyc0 said:
Perhaps a mouse or wasp nested inside of the horn unit?

Just a thought.

:wink:
A MOUSE!!!!! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL Maybe I could ask him how the heck he got into the dang thing so I can clean it out!

·
Registered
235 Posts
stebel

disassemble what do you have to lose. See what makes it work. My money is on dirt and maybe bugs. How about a pipe cleaner?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It appears the compressor housing is like a molded nickel body. I don't see anyway to get into it. If I sawed it in half, maybe I could. If I get another one, maybe I'll do it just to see what the problem is.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Even though the horn doesn't work. Take a Multimeter and see of you have voltage at the horn still. I think your relay was going out. I still think the relay is out but you may have broken the horn also. You might try hitting it with a bigger screwdriver.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
147 Posts
You may want to take the horn off and hook the wires to a battery and see if it work. It wouldent hurt to spray a little WD 4O in it may help to loosen things up

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, I'll ask the obvious. How would whacking the horn have anything to do with the relay? That's what stopped the horn from screeching. Are you saying the horn stopping was not related to my hitting it?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cmsw41 said:
You may want to take the horn off and hook the wires to a battery and see if it work. It wouldent hurt to spray a little WD 4O in it may help to loosen things up
Now that's a thought. Will it sound if I just run wires directly to a battery with the negative to the negative and positive to the positive?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
volusiaguy said:
My relay just died....$28 at Pep Boys....:( Same symptoms....
Ah, yes, but did you resort to whacking it? :D Seriously, did your's stick on? And, then not work at all?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts