Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
the horn will take alot of current when it goes off.
Have it either wired to the battery w/ an in line fuse ( 30A) and a relay from the horn button to the horn.
If you going to add stuff a fuse box assembly would be a good idea.

just remember the bike only generated 360W and the uses some of that to run and charge the battery.
Be careful of how much power you are going to use.
I went LED on all the signal, brake and running lights to free up some of that.

BTW you should list your bike so either a Vol or a Bouly rider can see if they help you in the future.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Im a real newbie about electrical stuff..I dont understand what you mean about 360 watts for the bike lol

Do you mean theres only so much I can add to the bike, connected to the battery? Im sure my little items wont matter..I have read lots of riders here have a lot more installed..

The fusebox and relay..are they different items or the same thing together? I thought I saw a relay that also was a fusebox in one piece that was installed next to the battery.

Boxwrench said:
Have it either wired to the battery w/ an in line fuse ( 30A) and a relay from the horn button to the horn.

just remember the bike only generated 360W and the uses some of that to run and charge the battery.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
remission said:
I'm a real newbie about electrical stuff..I don't understand what you mean about 360 watts for the bike lol

Do you mean there's only so much I can add to the bike, connected to the battery? I'm sure my little items wont matter..I have read lots of riders here have a lot more installed..

The fuse box and relay..are they different items or the same thing together? I thought I saw a relay that also was a fuse box in one piece that was installed next to the battery.

Boxwrench said:

the bike will generate only 360 watts of power to be used on the bike.
For example a C50 uses about 45% of the power generated to run the engine, fuel injection and charge the battery. The rest is free to use . However the FI system needs a full 13.5 volts to run well so the battery needs to be at full to operate well. If you draw too much the battery will always not get charged full affecting battery life and over working the charging circuit.

A relay is a low power control circuit box used to energize a higher power circuit w/o damaging switches and buttons and such.

A fuse box us just a central place for the wires and fuses to get power from the battery

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hmm ok thanks.

What do other people use then, that have things like running lights, speakers, horns and all that jazz on their bikes? that seems like all that would pull a lot of power from the battery? Im assuming that someone would have all this hooked up to a bigger relay, ect.

Ill have to look back on my posts, I know people have posted links to relays and fuseboxes for me to use :)

Boxwrench said:
remission said:
I'm a real newbie about electrical stuff..I don't understand what you mean about 360 watts for the bike lol

Do you mean there's only so much I can add to the bike, connected to the battery? I'm sure my little items wont matter..I have read lots of riders here have a lot more installed..

The fuse box and relay..are they different items or the same thing together? I thought I saw a relay that also was a fuse box in one piece that was installed next to the battery.

Boxwrench said:

For example a C50 uses about 45% of the power generated to run the engine, fuel injection and charge the battery. The rest is free to use . However the FI system needs a full 13.5 volts to run well so the battery needs to be at full to operate well. If you draw too much the battery will always not get charged full affecting battery life and over working the charging circuit.

A relay is a low power control circuit box used to energize a higher power circuit w/o damaging switches and buttons and such.

A fuse box us just a central place for the wires and fuses to get power from the battery

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
remission said:
Hmm ok thanks.

What do other people use then, that have things like running lights, speakers, horns and all that jazz on their bikes? that seems like all that would pull a lot of power from the battery? I'm assuming that someone would have all this hooked up to a bigger relay, etc.

Ill have to look back on my posts, I know people have posted links to relays and fuse boxes for me to use :)

Boxwrench said:
remission said:

Boxwrench said:

A relay does not hafta to used on all accessories, Only on those that draw alot of current or hooked up to a switch. Several items can be hooked to an appropriate sized relay if they are going to triggered at the same time, if not then they have their own.

Some people will figger the draw of the their toys and others don't care.
General items like phone chargers, GPS and IPods, radios don't draw much .
Amplifiers for speakers and such might draw a bit more and may need to be accounted for.
Stebel horn IMO should be on it's own circuit cause of it's current draw ( thru a fuse box be OK.
It's intermittent use won't be too much of a problem.
Things like aux lights of above 35W , 55w/ 65w and above high intensity headlights hafta be considered, HID systems draw less.

If you care you could find the current draw and voltage used for each item and use : P= I (current) x V (Voltage) and total it up.
I don't know the power exact power consumption a Vol or Bouly use.

I do know my Falcon has 760W available alot of it unused at this time.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Mhmm ok thanks for the info. Im still confused but mainly because I do better actually SEEING how it is on the bike then reading. Its easier to get it in my head, plus i no really nothing about electrical stuff. Maybe someone is going to have a wrench party near me I can bring it to, or see if someone can help install it here for me.

Boxwrench said:

[/quote]

A fuse box us just a central place for the wires and fuses to get power from the battery[/quote][/quote]

A relay does not hafta to used on all accessories, Only on those that draw alot of current or hooked up to a switch. Several items can be hooked to an appropriate sized relay if they are going to triggered at the same time, if not then they have their own.

Some people will figger the draw of the their toys and others don't care.
General items like phone chargers, GPS and IPods, radios don't draw much .
Amplifiers for speakers and such might draw a bit more and may need to be accounted for.
Stebel horn IMO should be on it's own circuit cause of it's current draw ( thru a fuse box be OK.
It's intermittent use won't be too much of a problem.
Things like aux lights of above 35W , 55w/ 65w and above high intensity headlights hafta be considered, HID systems draw less.

If you care you could find the current draw and voltage used for each item and use : P= I (current) x V (Voltage) and total it up.
I don't know the power exact power consumption a Vol or Bouly use.

I do know my Falcon has 760W available alot of it unused at this time.[/quote]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well lucky for me I have an extra chrome Stebel horn. I installed one in my ZX-10R about 2 years or so ago.

I have an extra one that I will install on my C50.

I only mention the install on the other bike because it could add to the installation technique:

How to Install an Airhorn - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

The installation is pretty much the same as mentioned here in terms of functionality (use a relay, etc).

The ZX-10R is a much smaller bike in terms of space to add things. So I had to be more creative in finding space. I ended up separating the Stebel horn from the air compressor to the horn.

Well take a look at the page for more information. It just has me thinking that it may be possible to hide the horn better.

I dont think that the location you guys picked looks bad, its just cold in NY & I have many months till its warm enough for me to ride. I am going to install the horn on the C50 & am just thinking about how to do it before diving in.

Thanks,
Rich
I know this is an old thread, but I just found it....my question....instructions say to keep the compressor no more than 15 degrees from vertical. You didn't does it still work?

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just found it....my question....instructions say to keep the compressor no more than 15 degrees from vertical. You didn't does it still work?
FYI - The last time this person posted was July 2009 - you might want to send them a PM or wait for a more general answer from someone else around here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used the install instructions for my Stebel today. Wow, it was very helpful! My biggest setback was discovering that one of my tank bushings disappeared while I was working on the other side. Found it in the garage...whew!

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
I used the install instructions for my Stebel today. Wow, it was very helpful! My biggest setback was discovering that one of my tank bushings disappeared while I was working on the other side. Found it in the garage...whew!

You gotta keep an eye on them buggers.
They're experts at jumping off and finding the perfect hiding spot!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Help!!

I just bought my first bike used - 03 intruder volusia 805. The bike is in great condition except for the horn. The factory horn is "stuck" on (i.e. when I connect the wires and turn on the power the horn makes a constant sound). The previous owner had installed an interrupter switch on the left neck cover by-passing the factory switch, but this is pretty useless when riding.

I purchased a stebel to install but want to figure out what's wrong first so I don't fry it. I spent all day tearing the bike apart only to blow a couple fuses and still don't have a working horn. I traced all the wires and disassembled the switch and did not see anything visibly wrong.

Anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it? I would feel a lot safer as a new rider with a horn! I think I can handle the stebel install once I get this figured out but I'm at my wits end with it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Kinda sounds like a stuck switch or a short in the switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish I had this guide when I installed mine. I didn't put it in the same place, but I think it works where I put it.

I painted mine black so it would more or less blend in. It's not like my leg isn't covering it when I'm riding anyway or that anyone is really looking at that side of my bike when it is parked, but I felt it would look better.

·
Registered
208 Posts
As done by many others here, I have mine mounted in the upper hole of the left frame downtube. I will post some pics after i get a chance to give my little suzi some TLC and get her all clean and shiny.

BIG BIG THANKS to Bikerpop and his "Almost Famous SSS Strap". It is a great example of a functional and very attractive solution for mounting the Stebel Air Horn on the C50 Boulevard.

·
Registered
491 Posts
For the poster with the horn that won't stop. It's going to ground. The horn button does not complete the power circuit to the horn it gets constant power. Instead it completes the ground circuit-making the connection from the horn to ground.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I installed mine yesterday with the help of this posting and bikerpops bracket. Took a little while to get it to work out... but that was partially due to a bad relay that came with the horn. Once I replaced the relay with another one that was going to be used for a lightbar the horn worked great.

I do have one question though. Does anyone know how many amps this horn pulls?

The reason i am asking is that I will be wiring in 2 55 watt halogne lights into a relay in the headlight bucket. I would like to use the positive and negative coming from the battery to the horn as the positive and negatives for the lights as well.

I have the horn on a 30Amp fuse and the lights would pull approx 9 amps. I am not worried about the draw with the lights alone, but I do not want to blow a fuse upon blowing the horn with the lights on.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I will wire it through a second fuse rather than betting that the 20 amps fromt eh horn and the 9 from the lights wouldnt overload the 30 amp fuse....

101 - 120 of 133 Posts