Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
DanDolfn said:
Finally fired my Stebel for real this weekend.

Going up a two lane road, a pickup truck was coming out on the right. He saw me 'cause he was waiting, and looking right at me.

But he kept edging forward, just idling up. He really wasn't into my space, but he was heading that way.

Finally, I just tapped the Stebel.

I'd like to report that it really freaked him out, but it didn't. On the other hand, he DID finally step on the brake and stop edging out into the roadway.

I figured that was good enough and pretty much what I bought the Stebel for, just to make sure I get taken seriously.
The first time I used mine was a few months ago.

A kid on a bmx bike flyin through a gas station parking lot was about to cut right in front of me. I was only goin about 5mph, but he never even looked my way until I "Stebeled" him....The look on his face :shock: was well worth the price and time invested. LOL

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Murphy said:
Took my bike in for state inspection last weekend. The inspector told me that the stebel was illegal as it was too loud (in Texas anyway). He recommended that if I took it elsewhere, to hook up the old horn to get it by the inspector (he didnt make me change it). Good advice. Leave your old horn in place so you can hook it up if necessary.
Well, that's just great! I guess I'll run into that in September. :( :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
925 Posts
Foxtail207 said:
Murphy said:
Took my bike in for state inspection last weekend. The inspector told me that the stebel was illegal as it was too loud (in Texas anyway). He recommended that if I took it elsewhere, to hook up the old horn to get it by the inspector (he didnt make me change it). Good advice. Leave your old horn in place so you can hook it up if necessary.
Well, that's just great! I guess I'll run into that in September. :( :( :( :( :( :(
Bring it over here. He's Stebel friendly...

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I'm just hoping my guy will overlook it like many other things he does. He talks so so much, I think he forgets what he's done and hasn't done. This guy is a motormouth. He put my truck's rear wheels on the rollers and didn't even put the truck in gear the whole time he ran the engine.

Last year he had me hit the horn (OEM), so maybe this year I can just tap the button, It's still loud but not a huge BLAST.

Have any other Texans encountered this Stebel reject at inspection time?

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Murphy said:
huh?? a horn thats TOO LOUD???!?! WTF!!??? Ain't no way I'd ride in traffic w/ that teeny tiny tinny stock meep meep horn

how do semi horns get rated??

·
Registered
302 Posts
It'll flunk here in Delaware! Stupid law...... Why do we even need them, if nobody can hear them anyway?.............. Mustn't disturb the "Cagers", they'll drop their phone and coffee...... :evil:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
florida may be mostly flat b and not as interesting to ride in but they don't inspect.....yet :wink: 8)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Foxtail207 said:
I'm just hoping my guy will overlook it like many other things he does. He talks so so much, I think he forgets what he's done and hasn't done. This guy is a motormouth. He put my truck's rear wheels on the rollers and didn't even put the truck in gear the whole time he ran the engine.

Last year he had me hit the horn (OEM), so maybe this year I can just tap the button, It's still loud but not a huge BLAST.

Have any other Texans encountered this Stebel reject at inspection time?

I have not had that problem......but then my inspector dosen't even check the horn

·
Registered
653 Posts
My Stebel has saved my butt from errant cagers numerous times on the highway.

I can't believe that states would declare these too loud to be legal.

Fortunately up here in Mass. it's never been an issue at inspection time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome horn, great post

Just wanted to thank those who have shared their thoughts on the Stebel installation and performance on this thread. The introductory post with the detailed pics was invaluable. Glad to have something loud on my C50 to replace that wimpy horn...

...now...to approach the wife about those loud pipes I need. After all, it's not right that my horn drowns out the sound of my bike, is it? :twisted:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Huh? Whaaa?... I can't hear you over your loud pipes!

Audiology report....." you have a 20% hearing loss in your righ ear in the low to mid-range.........

·
Registered
4 Posts
AWESOME instructions- they were so good that the horn worked, "first-time-GO", even though I was feeling the effects of some evening embibment while running the wiring!!

Accidentally hit the horn button when reaching for the turn signal cancel switch yesterday, and it just about made me jump outta my boots!! Sucker is LOUD!!

While I hope that I never again have reason to use my horn while riding... I am kind of looking forward to encountering the first cell-phone-talking, tunnel-vision-having, day-dreaming driver who gets too close and gets a dose of the horn in their left ear! Please lord, let them have their window down!!

Thanks again for the instructions and pictures, FF!

·
Registered
285 Posts
:D :D Thanks to all especially Fast Freddy. Great write up and pics dude. :shock: :D Gotta make the change.....we aren't allowed to carry guns up here :roll:

·
Registered
285 Posts
ltkauffee said:
AWESOME instructions- they were so good that the horn worked, "first-time-GO", even though I was feeling the effects of some evening embibment while running the wiring!!

Accidentally hit the horn button when reaching for the turn signal cancel switch yesterday, and it just about made me jump outta my boots!! Sucker is LOUD!!

While I hope that I never again have reason to use my horn while riding... I am kind of looking forward to encountering the first cell-phone-talking, tunnel-vision-having, day-dreaming driver who gets too close and gets a dose of the horn in their left ear! Please lord, let them have their window down!!

:applause: It just chokes me up when you guys get all sentimental about car driver like that :violent: Small Rocket Launcher would be a Great Mod :D

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
This forum is great, thanks for all the thoughts on the horn mod. I picked up a "Wolo bad boy", (same horn) from Northern Tool, they had it on sale for $25 a couple months ago. I finally got it installed this weekend. It works great and sounds great! I took a ride yesterday and tried it out a couple times. Thanks again to VR!

·
Registered
780 Posts
My Stebel is arriving tomorrow. Hope it's warm enough to do teh install over the long weekend. Doing that, the 12v outlet, accessory fuse block and wiring in my trickle charger @ the same time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
stebel horn

holly crap thought it would be loud but that loud my dog is now totaly perterified of that garage lol well it was a whimpy dog to start out with anyways great instruction and tips works great now to heat shrink everything wire loom and be done with it

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I am going to buy a Stebel but sometimes eletrical stuff confuses me.

I read through all the posts, but I am confused about a few things.

When you mention a 'relay" is this a relay already installed on the bike or do I need to buy a seprate one? Also do I need a seprate fuse box?

I installed a power adapter plug right to the headlamp but I think if I am going to be installing a Stebel and maybe some motorcycle speakers in the future I will need all this wired to the battery. I know some people here posted about using a fusebox and a relay..I am not sure if this is the same thing or 2 different items.

I looked on Bikerhighway and they have a pre-wired kit that includes a relay and all.

http://www.bikerhiway.com/plugnplay-wiring-harness-for-stebel-nautilus-compact-air-horns-p-921.html

But if I am going to have multiple things wired up (horn, powerplug speakers) should I get somthing for multiple connections?

Any help getting me straight?

:)

81 - 100 of 133 Posts