Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Ian said:
Thanks for all those useful tips.
I've bought my Stebel, printed the pdf on installation and waiting to receive that nifty mounting bracket in the mail before I pluck up my courage and start snipping wires. But you know, I really don't like the look of the thing hanging off the left side of the bike frame, just waiting to get kicked or clobbered by a flying piece of gravel.

So to my question: Has anyone managed to mount their Stebel in an out of sight location on a C50? Where and how?

Ian in Canada's Irrigation Capital
I do believe some have mounted it under the right-side cover. Muffles it a little, but then it is out of sight too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ian said:
Thanks for all those useful tips.
I've bought my Stebel, printed the pdf on installation and waiting to receive that nifty mounting bracket in the mail before I pluck up my courage and start snipping wires. But you know, I really don't like the look of the thing hanging off the left side of the bike frame, just waiting to get kicked or clobbered by a flying piece of gravel.

So to my question: Has anyone managed to mount their Stebel in an out of sight location on a C50? Where and how?

Ian in Canada's Irrigation Capital
Has anyone tried to put a horn in place of the pair valve or the football aircleaner (after doing naked jugs mod ofcourse)?

I rekon a horn like this where the old football is would look legit

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
If you went thru all the trouble to remove those 2 why would put something BACK there again?

IMHO the stebil is THE horn for bikes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't remove the tank

I big thanks to those that have posted the GREAT directions on installing a Stebel. I installed mine last week and have since kept a Land Rover from comming into my lane, you should have seen the guy jump when i laid on the horn, his eyes got big and he almost dropped his cell phone!! Most importanly, he got back in his lane.

But to add my 2 cents worth to the insallation process.....since I couldn't wait to get my new horn installed, I still had over half a tank of gas. I had already run my wires through the 1/4 clear tubing, so I straightened a wire coathanger and slid it in the tubing with the wires. Then I just just took out the bolt holding the tank down, lifted it a few inches and easily ran my clear tubing right where I wanted it. Pull out the coat hanger and you're good to go. A couple of squirts of silicone spray in the tubing and the wires and coat hanger had no problem sliding in. This saved a lot of time and extra work.

I got the horn from Bikerhighway but the wiring kit cost $10. Save your 10 bucks since you'll still have to make a trip to the store. Since I had to go to Lowes to get a bracket (I found a nice sturdy strap near the shelf brackets and hinges. It already had holes, all i did was cut it in half and drill the holes just a tad larger, quick and easy and only $2). I already had black spray paint so I put a few coats on the bracket and it blends in with the frame. Lowes had 14 guage wire for 8 cents per foot, the clear tubing was 20 cents per foot. I went to radio shack and got the smaller ring connectors for the battery for $1.99 and after reading a post about Flag connectors, i picke up a pack for $1.99 (the flag connectors connect to the spade posts on the bottom of the horn but they are already bent at a 90 degree angle so you cant even see the wires comming out of the horn after I got it mounted.

Since I had the seat off, i went ahead and added connectors to the batter that go to a connector plug that can be used to tap into a flat trailer plug to get power. I got the connector at advanced auto for about $2.50. then I took the other half of the connector and spliced it into a trickle charger I got from Harbor Freight. Now I can easily hook up the charger. But the main reason I wanted this type of plug is that you can get a cigarette plug with the same connector!!(I got one at WalMart for $2.50, but I havn't seen another one at Wallys since, I'm sure any auto store will have em) You can plug it into any flat trailer plug and have a power outlet or I can pull out my connector from under the edge of my seat and have a power outlet anytime I need one. I had already collected these parts over a period of months, but all you need to do is get the plug from autostore and hook it to the battery (I did put in an inline fuse), then when you get the plug/charger all you have to do is plug it in. Since this may be hard to visualize, i'll try to post a picture soon.

One again a BIG THANK YOU to everyone that added any suggestions to the process.

·
Registered
11,910 Posts

Just did mine. Or, to be more precise, a good friend just did mine.

We didn't do everything exactly like the instructions suggested but using the parts we already had saved us a trip to the store.

Thanks for the instructions! They sure made everything easier to figure out!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
MikeDaDrummer said:
I'm confused by some of the installation descriptions... Will buying the $9.95 Wiring Kit along with it make basic installation easier (I'm not trying to get fancy), or is it actually not useful and I should just get 14 gauge wires etc myself and just buy the Stebel Horn by itself without the kit?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The $9.95 wiring kit is a real waste of money. All kinds of parts you don't need and not worth the money. You will have to go out to buy some wire and connectors of your own in any case once you have scoped out the job.

I've had my Stebel installed most of the summer and I am very happy with it. My only complaint is that when I took the bike in for the 12,000 kilometer maintenance, the stealer disconnected one of the plugs and I did not realize that I had no horn on the way home.

Ian in Lethbridge, AB

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
The most important thing is to use a relay to power the Stebel horn. Don't use the stock horn wiring to drive the Stebel. Use it to trigger the relay. Stebel draws too much current for the existing wiring and you can fry your ignition switch contacts.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Good tips from everybody, starting with the original post. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
PSvolusia said:
cactusjack said:
The most important thing is to use a relay to power the Stebel horn.
Sorry for the continued confusion, but is the relay included with the Stebel Horn purchase? Or if not, is it part of the $9.95 accessory wiring pack?

EDIT: Oh... I guess the relay's included with the horn, that's the relay pictured in this product photo, right?:
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CST&Product_Code=Stebel11185&Category_Code=
The ones I've seen, and also priced on the web, have a relay, but no wiring. HB has Wolo and they have a relay. I just looked at them and they are higher there than any place I have seen, and their's is not the chrome one either. They have chrome, but there wasn't any at my nearest store.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
PSvolusia said:
cactusjack said:
The most important thing is to use a relay to power the Stebel horn.
Sorry for the continued confusion, but is the relay included with the Stebel Horn purchase? Or if not, is it part of the $9.95 accessory wiring pack?

EDIT: Oh... I guess the relay's included with the horn, that's the relay pictured in this product photo, right?:
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CST&Product_Code=Stebel11185&Category_Code=
Yes, that is a relay in the picture. If the horn doesn't come with one, they are $4-$5 at Autozone.

·
Registered
11,910 Posts
Finally fired my Stebel for real this weekend.

Going up a two lane road, a pickup truck was coming out on the right. He saw me 'cause he was waiting, and looking right at me.

But he kept edging forward, just idling up. He really wasn't into my space, but he was heading that way.

Finally, I just tapped the Stebel.

I'd like to report that it really freaked him out, but it didn't. On the other hand, he DID finally step on the brake and stop edging out into the roadway.

I figured that was good enough and pretty much what I bought the Stebel for, just to make sure I get taken seriously.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well lucky for me I have an extra chrome Stebel horn. I installed one in my ZX-10R about 2 years or so ago.

I have an extra one that I will install on my C50.

I only mention the install on the other bike because it could add to the installation technique:

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23540&highlight=stebel

The installation is pretty much the same as mentioned here in terms of functionality (use a relay, etc).

The ZX-10R is a much smaller bike in terms of space to add things. So I had to be more creative in finding space. I ended up separating the Stebel horn from the air compressor to the horn.

Well take a look at the page for more information. It just has me thinking that it may be possible to hide the horn better.

I dont think that the location you guys picked looks bad, its just cold in NY & I have many months till its warm enough for me to ride. I am going to install the horn on the C50 & am just thinking about how to do it before diving in.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
925 Posts
Took my bike in for state inspection last weekend. The inspector told me that the stebel was illegal as it was too loud (in Texas anyway). He recommended that if I took it elsewhere, to hook up the old horn to get it by the inspector (he didnt make me change it). Good advice. Leave your old horn in place so you can hook it up if necessary.

61 - 80 of 133 Posts