41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts
A member here ww4cash has has some starting issues with his bike.
He had to have it towed for repair, and turns out several wires got pulled from their harness under the tank from moving the tank to access the left neck cover.

I have always recommended people carefully remove the tank completly for mods/repairs (and have been guilty of being lazy and not doing it)...but if you choose to just slide the tank back, be *very* careful you don't pull the wires since you are not unplugging the harnesses.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Special Ed said:
A member here ww4cash has has some starting issues with his bike.
He had to have it towed for repair, and turns out several wires got pulled from their harness under the tank from moving the tank to access the left neck cover.

I have always recommended people carefully remove the tank completly for mods/repairs (and have been guilty of being lazy and not doing it)...but if you choose to just slide the tank back, be *very* careful you don't pull the wires since you are not unplugging the harnesses.
Good advice Ed

·
Registered
925 Posts
I haven't seen anything mentioned about the small 90 degree fitting that looks like it slides up in the air intake. Is that necessary to install or is it just for a tube if you mount it in a confined area?

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
I heeded that and removed the tank carefully when I did my tail mods. Good advice

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Stebel horn install complete.

I completed the install if my Stebel air horn today. Boy! what a blast. My wife was outside the garage when I tried it out and she screamed.

Thanks for the great directions.

Rich H :applause:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Re: Stebel horn install complete.

Rich H said:
I completed the install if my Stebel air horn today. Boy! what a blast. My wife was outside the garage when I tried it out and she screamed.

Thanks for the great directions.

Rich H :applause:
:scream: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'm in

OK guys, I'm in. There is a County flea market here that is having more and more biker gear as the riding community out in the Country is even stronger per capita than the bigger Cities here in Texas. I bought a compact Stebel new in the package from a Harley rider that found out it wouldn't fit where he wanted to mount it. $15.00 ain't bad for that unit.

I followed these and Special Ed's install tips for the most part. It's a straightforward, easy installation, so I don't have much to add. The comments and wiring advice given in this thread are very accurate and well thought out. The comments about circuit layout and control impedence are cogent and correct. With this much current flowing, the circuit layout given here does make a difference. In a lower power situation, you could just plug into the existing connects. Pay attention to the tips given by the thread's author, cause using the existing circuit will surely burn out wiring and worse.

Bottom line is that It was a snap to wire up and my daughter Taylor wanted to be the first to push the button...which made Taylor and her girlfriends jump straight up in the air when it went off, even though they had all read the package.

The only thing I'd add is that I don't like glass tube fuses for this kind of application. They're not as easy to find in all areas, like if you get caught short late at night and all that's around is a corner gas station.

Cooper Bussman makes an inline fuse harness that I prefer in situations like this. It uses 12 gauge wire and is rated up to 24amps. It's fuse holder is for micro-blades, with a weather proof cap. It doesn't come with any fuses, but those are easy to find. I get mine at AutoZone, but almost all parts stores carry Bussman supplies or something like them.

Even out in the Country on a four lane highway, this horn sounds like a stretch Cadillac bellowing
"Get the Hell out of the way!"

This will do until I can find a pair of trumpet horns off a locomotive, or maybe a foghorn off a cruise ship...

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Welcome to the CYFHMN club inductee.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Re: I'm in

IronMan said:
This will do until I can find a pair of trumpet horns off a locomotive, or maybe a foghorn off a cruise ship...
That's what I want or maybe the horn off a ferry boat. I'm not fussy. I just want something that will require a cardio-defibrillator after the warning. :shock: :wink:

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I just installed my Stebel, paying close attention to these instructions and tips from Fast Freddy. Freddy, they were a huge help. Installation went without a hitch and the horn sounds great.

Instruction threads like this one take a lot of time and effort. Thank you, Freddy! It's posts like yours that make this site so great!

Sven
:scoot:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for all those useful tips.
I've bought my Stebel, printed the pdf on installation and waiting to receive that nifty mounting bracket in the mail before I pluck up my courage and start snipping wires. But you know, I really don't like the look of the thing hanging off the left side of the bike frame, just waiting to get kicked or clobbered by a flying piece of gravel.

So to my question: Has anyone managed to mount their Stebel in an out of sight location on a C50? Where and how?

Ian in Canada's Irrigation Capital

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I don't know about hiding it. I haven't seen one that way. I can tell you I have an OEM crash bar and the Stebel doesn't really stick out any farther than the pair valve.

Also, you mentioned snipping wires. If you mount it where I did there is no wire snipping. You can remove the the wires from the OEM horn and use those connection clip ends to conneect to the Stebel relay and then leave the relay tucked in behind the left side panel. The only wires I cut were the new ones from the battery to the relay and Stebel.

41 - 60 of 133 Posts