Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks everyone for all there write-ups and pictures, especially Fastfreddy. Got mine done last Friday and it was a lot easier than it would have been without all your help. The only thing I think I would do differently would be to locate the relay somewhere other than under that plastic neck cover. Because of the Cobra highway bars, I have to loosen the top bolt to the bars to pull the neck cover out so I can slide it up to release it. With all that, it would be just easier, I think to loosen the seat. Or maybe put it in the tool kit. Other than that it was great.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Snorky said:
So ....I have my new Stebel all mounted and ask the better half to help me lower the bike from the wood bike lift.
Wife and youngest son (17) are standing in the garage with me, and wife says'"So let's hear this fancy horn."
Now I have told both of them repeatedly how loud these horns are.
I turn on the key, reach over and touch the horn button.
They both jump and cringe. Wife immediately asks,"WHY do you need one THAT LOUD?"
Heh Heh Heh. :twisted:
Tell em because kids nor women know how to drive... :twisted:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Byteman said:
Snorky said:
So ....I have my new Stebel all mounted and ask the better half to help me lower the bike from the wood bike lift.
Wife and youngest son (17) are standing in the garage with me, and wife says'"So let's hear this fancy horn."
Now I have told both of them repeatedly how loud these horns are.
I turn on the key, reach over and touch the horn button.
They both jump and cringe. Wife immediately asks,"WHY do you need one THAT LOUD?"
Heh Heh Heh. :twisted:
Tell em because kids nor women know how to drive... :twisted:
Hey Byteman, you tryin' to get this guy into the "doghouse" :?: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for all the info on making this mod! I got mine on today and it went very well.
I took the time to remove my old horn and guess what. There is a nice
ready made mounting bracket that holds it in place. Remove the bracket and used it to mount the new horn.
Can't wait to try it out on some unsuspecting stupid person.
Stupid person = Someone who does not watch out for motorcycles.

Thanks again for all the great info.
papascott

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
papascott said:
Thanks for all the info on making this mod! I got mine on today and it went very well.
I took the time to remove my old horn and guess what. There is a nice
ready made mounting bracket that holds it in place. Remove the bracket and used it to mount the new horn.
Can't wait to try it out on some unsuspecting stupid person.
Stupid person = Someone who does not watch out for motorcycles.

Thanks again for all the great info.
papascott
WELCOME to the VR site, new member.

Pete

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
suggestion to add to best practices

Fast Freddy's instructions are great. You would make a great 8th grade teacher.
One additional recommendation is to stop by Radio Shack or equal and get what is called "flag terminals' for the horn side of the wiring. These are 90 degree terminals that eliminate the stress, and the loop of wire, on the wiring that comes from the relay to the horn. It also cleans up the look as the wires are tucked up close to the horn.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Stebel installed! Great instructions and nice tip on the "flag terminals"

I learn SO much here!! Thanks to all!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Re: suggestion to add to best practices

grunt69 said:
Fast Freddy's instructions are great. You would make a great 8th grade teacher.
One additional recommendation is to stop by Radio Shack or equal and get what is called "flag terminals' for the horn side of the wiring. These are 90 degree terminals that eliminate the stress, and the loop of wire, on the wiring that comes from the relay to the horn. It also cleans up the look as the wires are tucked up close to the horn.
Thanks and I'll have to try those terminals. Sounds like a great idea!

FF

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
FYI... What year is your bike? One pick you showed looked alot like the ign switch wiring was routed behind your clutch cable. Suzuki did a recall to fix that before cable wore through wires.

Fast Freddy said:
Thanks, FF

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
dentman said:
Hey Fred, do you have to be 6 foot eight to do this mod , or could someone a foot shorter manage it as well.
Actually, Dentman, the shorter the better. It gets you closer to your work.

I haven't checked in here for a long time until the other night. Hope you're doing well.

FF.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
C50T2006 said:
FYI... What year is your bike? One pick you showed looked alot like the ign switch wiring was routed behind your clutch cable. Suzuki did a recall to fix that before cable wore through wires.

Fast Freddy said:
Thanks, FF
Who is this comment directed to? I reviewed my posted pictures and I don't believe I have any shots showing the ignition wiring. Was it someone else's posted pictures?

Mine, by the way, is an '03.

FF.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
This was pic in question. Looks like switch pigtail showing in it.

Fast Freddy said:
C50T2006 said:

Fast Freddy said:
Thanks, FF
Who is this comment directed to? I reviewed my posted pictures and I don't believe I have any shots showing the ignition wiring. Was it someone else's posted pictures?

Mine, by the way, is an '03.

FF.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm doing just fine Fred, I hope you are as well. My youngest boy started dirt riding this sping so I'm going to pick up one to join him. I don't know if 51 is too old to get back into offroad riding but I am going to give it a try anyway. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
dentman said:
I'm doing just fine Fred, I hope you are as well. My youngest boy started dirt riding this sping so I'm going to pick up one to join him. I don't know if 51 is too old to get back into offroad riding but I am going to give it a try anyway. Wish me luck.
IMO, 51 is not too old to ride offroad. At 51, it just takes longer for the broken bones to heal :wink: So one just has to be more carefull 8)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Installed my Wolo Bad Boy horn today and wanted to say thanks to Fast Freddy and this post topic as a whole...The info I received from all of everyone's posts really made the horn install a breeze! I got alot out of the great pictures and all of the detailed info...Thanks again,You guys rock! :wink:

Can't forget about thanking Dane for letting me even think about adding a horn and the money he saved me on it...Thanks again buddy! :wink:

21 - 40 of 133 Posts