Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 vl800. 60,000 miles.

2 days ago I noticed a strange noise while idling and then when shutting off the bike. Seems the starter is stuck and won't retract, so as long as the engine is running the gear is spinning. Also seems as though the starter is actually continuously cranking.

Thoughts if the started is actually still running, and can you get to or replace the starter without taking much else apart? I'm 1,300 miles from my manual at the moment.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
04 vl800. 60,000 miles.

2 days ago I noticed a strange noise while idling and then when shutting off the bike. Seems the starter is stuck and won't retract, so as long as the engine is running the gear is spinning. Also seems as though the starter is actually continuously cranking.

Thoughts if the started is actually still running, and can you get to or replace the starter without taking much else apart? I'm 1,300 miles from my manual at the moment.

The starter is in constant mesh through gears, with the engine crankshaft. The path of power when cranking is - splined starter shaft>starter drive gear>starter idler gear>driven gear on back of alternator rotor>starter clutch inside the back of the rotor>rotor hub>crankshaft....

The starter clutch is a one way or ''over running clutch'' that releases and looses the ability to drive when engine speed exceeds starter drive speeds. It is similar in concept to the clutch on the starter rope on you pull start lawnmower.

There does seem to be some carry over motion when the engine is running because of the tight fit of the clutch rollers on the rotor hub. This happens on my bike as well. In most cases it is not any concern. The failure associated with that clutch seizure would be in the starter bearings and armature.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
So i think i narrowed it down to the starter relay or the starter itself. One moment the bike wouldnt not crank. The next moment the starter would come on by itself and not stop cranking even with the ignition switch off. Just not sure how to test from here.
Are you saying that the starter begins to crank the engine when the key is off and no one is near the bike?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're both correct depending on how its acting. Sometimes it will continue cranking even after I shut the bike down, other times it will crank the second I turn the key on. Talked to a dealer here and the techs said that the starter relay shorted closed internally.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
You're both correct depending on how its acting. Sometimes it will continue cranking even after I shut the bike down, other times it will crank the second I turn the key on. Talked to a dealer here and the techs said that the starter relay shorted closed internally.

Ok... I misunderstood your first post....

I hope it doesn't start cranking when the bike is in gear...... Sounds like the main contacts in the starter relay have lost spring tension that keeps them apart......

or there is a short to power for the winding on the relay - between the clutch switch and the relay

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Like I said earlier. bad starter relay. And do not buy the cheap e-bay replacements. You will be having this problem again soon if you do.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts