Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I don't put up my bike for the winter, I can't ride it as much as usual. There may still be long periods of time when it sits idle (outdoors) with the same gas in the tank.

In the past, with my carburated bikes I've put Stabil in the tank when winter really sets in, and then Seafoam in the spring when I start riding more.

But my C50 is the first fuel injected bike I've ever owned.

I'm going to top off the tank with fresh gas over the next couple of days when it warms up a bit. Is it recommended that I still put the Stabil in, or just an application of Seafoam until spring, or both?

Any advice is appreciated, as always.

·
Registered
19,330 Posts
I don't use either. I'm here in Pittsburgh as well and haven't ridden my bike since 03 Nov. When I put it away, I filled the tank with fresh gas (all the way to the fill spout) to prevent any condensation from forming in the air space between the fuel and the tank wall, then put it on a charger and covered it until spring. Usually, we get a nice day here and there when I can go out and get a few miles in, but realistically we can start riding again in mid March so there is no real danger of the fuel in the tank going stale in that short period of time.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I am a fan of Seafoam. I use it when I store my bikes and cars (1/2 a can for a full bike tank of five gallons or more). Then put a 1/4 of a can every two or three tankfuls in the summer. Never had a problem. Stabil can sometimes congeal and mess up the injectors or carb jets. NEVER had an issue with Seafoam. (I have used it in my oil, before changes and in the brake vacuum line to clean out the valves in my cars).

You should also take your battery out, bring it inside and put it on a float charger.

PS: I grew up in the Brentwood/Whitehall area and my dad has a business down on the South Side. Pittsburgh sure has changed over the years.

·
Super Moderator
56,231 Posts
StaBil is made for 4 stroke engines as Seafoam was designed for 2 cycle engines. If I were to buy StaBil I'd buy the marine type since it does more for water moisture.

I use Star Tron in all the gas I store including in my mc tank.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
That’s the first I ever heard of Star Tron. I’m going to give it a try thanks. I have been using stabil in my gas for everything stored mowers, snowblower, and generator. I use seafoam in the bike

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
+1 for Star Tron, use it in all my 2 and 4 cycle engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts
I use Stabil Marine in my boats and bikes. Startron is a great additive as well because it allows you to burn the gas after it phase separates (if you have ethanol in your gas).

I have seen phase separated fuel in boats a lot. Startron is the solution when this happens.

Here's more on phase separation: http://www.lcbamarketing.com/phase_separation_in_ethanol_blen.htm

·
Super Moderator
56,231 Posts
Besides using Star Tron, any gas that I put in any of my 2 cycle engines gets ran through my Mr Funnel to eliminate any water.

Home

·
Registered
575 Posts
seafoam

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK... It looks like Stabil is off the list. I checked out back in the shed and I'm out of it anyway...
But I still found a half can of Seafoam in there.

So Seafoam wins.

I'm going to check out that Star Tron stuff when I get a chance, though. I never heard of it until this thread.

Thanks, all.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I don't care what anyone says :nono: especially beezer ;-)!! If you want your bike to start come spring and run smooth, seafoam is the best snake oil ever!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Once a year the Seafoam goes on sale at a local parts shop. I usually buy a bit at that time so I always have some on hand. I've had good luck with it in by bikes, snowmobiles, mowers, and everything else that I own.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts