Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a small rant/question and may only be significant to my town (Tucson). But I have noticed that people riding sport bikes don't tend to do the "wave" let alone acknowledge other bikers. Is it a big deal? Not in the slightest. I just find it curious is all because we are all in it together. Anyone else notice this or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?
-Shipwreck

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
So? You expect too much. Just ride your bike and be happy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So? You expect too much. Just ride your bike and be happy.
I'm lost on this but perhaps you can point me to where I said I "expected" them to do anything. I just find it curious that 95% of all cruisers do it and about 95% of sporties don't. It was a simple question actually. Could have been answered with a "yes I've noticed this" or a "nope. Can't say I have"

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
It isn't a big deal. Nobody is snubbing you. They just don't feel like waving back. It doesn't matter if they ride a sport bike or a scooter. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Could be just your area. Waves seem about equally dispersed amongst riders here. Of course I do live in Niceville.:wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I always wave at least one finger at them and they usually wave a clenched hand back at me but maybe that's just my friendly part of the world. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'm lost on this but perhaps you can point me to where I said I "expected" them to do anything. I just find it curious that 95% of all cruisers do it and about 95% of sporties don't. It was a simple question actually. Could have been answered with a "yes I've noticed this" or a "nope. Can't say I have"
Here,
Sport Bike riders......and the "biker wave"....
and here

This is just a small rant/question and may only be significant to my town (Tucson). But I have noticed that people riding sport bikes don't tend to do the "wave" let alone acknowledge other bikers. Is it a big deal? Not in the slightest. I just find it curious is all because we are all in it together. Anyone else notice this or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?
-Shipwreck

Apparently you've waved at sport bike riders and they didn't wave back as you had to some degree expected them too....seeing as you've started a thread and expressed confusion caused by them not waving back.

Not every rider waves, and as I get older I find myself not as inclined to wave unless waved at....sometimes not even then....I dunno...more and more it seems very *"high fiving white guys"*...or like a little kid doin the honk yer horn wave/tug dealy at truckers as they go by.

·
Super Moderator
20,498 Posts
l don't see it as a big deal...sort of like passing a group ride coming at you in the other direction...some will wave...some won't...have found most crotch rockets usually don't...figure they're too focused on riding to see my wave...cruisers who don't wave...another story...either new rider and still terrified to take one hand off the handgrip or too old and will forget where to put the waving hand back where it originally was... then theres the old time hard core rider who's pissed off cause now everyone rides...young, old, even gals ridng their own rides...so its no longer just for the he's of society but the he's, she's, he-she's, she-he's... won't accept the fact that the Marlon Brando Days are long gone...he's no longer considered one of the those big,bad and mean Harley thugs...maybe still qualifies as a toothless ugly one but thats a different thread...hope Beez isn't reading this...

sorry to go on and on but just my observations and trying to understand why some do and some don't and why others like yourself wonder if its because maybe the on coming rider knows you didn't shower that day and wants to pass you as quick as possible or any one of a zillion reasons people don't wave...

hope this helped to clear this up...btw I try to wave but sometimes the lengths of my post tires my fingers and thereby making my hands too tired to come off the grips...nothing personal to those I don't wave to...being in my 60's now I also tend forget what I'm suppose to do when someone waves at me...high wave, low wave...2 fingers down,,,middle finger up...very confusing...by the time I've made my decision the other biker has long passed me... enjoy the ride...thats what matters.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
-Shipwreck
Yes, its a mountain out of mole hill. 99% of Americans don't ride a sport bike properly. The bike needs to be seated, the rider should be using their core to position themselves near the tank an their arms should be relaxed and loose on the bars. Instead, AMericans tend to prop their bodies up on the bars, locking their elbows. This loads the bars and if you take your hands off the bike goes one way or the other. It makes it difficult to wave.

Of late, I actually get a lot more waves from sport bike riders than anyone else, because they are maturing. Usually people that don't wave simply haven't been riding long enough to get it. No matter. I just wave.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Usually the only time I don't wave at a friendly rider is because my clutch has just gone in. Otherwise I'll wave to anyone friendly enough to do so.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Here are the reasons I do not wave.

1. I am accelerating through the gears from a stop light. Speed is more important at this moment than acknowledging you ride.
2. I am braking and downshifting through the gears for a stop light. I am listening to my pipes and holding on to both grips to curb the vibrations. Yes, that noise is coming from my bike.
3. I am ready to dodge a cage in front of me and you are just not important right now unless it looks like you might cross my lane.
3. I forgot whether you like two fingers down, palm up, or just a finger lift. Here's a finger to make you feel better.
4. I was too blinded by your auxiliary lights to see that there is a rider on board.
5. I just waved to nine hundred and sixty two other bikes and got bored.
6. I was thinking of a new accessory (or girl friend) and even though I saw you, it did not connect with my hand. It is a matter of priorities.
7. My hand is frozen to the bar because I thought it was going to warm up and it hasn't. If you sold heated grips or gloves, not only would I wave, I'd flag you down.
8. I thought you were a bicycle. LED headlights look alike.
9. This is a divided hwy. If there is a barrier between us I don’t wave. If there is not barrier, there should be.
10. I really wanted a sportbike, but they were so uncomfortable I ended up with a cruiser, so I am a sportbiker trapped in a pirate costume. Wearing red and yellow matching leathers and helmet on a cruiser is taboo.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I once owned something akin to a sportbike, a 650 VStrom. I got three speeding ticket one summer and sold it. I explained to one officer that I had increased my speed to safely pass a truck. He looked at me and said he did not see any trucks. I told him it was about 200 miles back.

He did not see the humor and wrote me a very expensive ticket. I sold the bike. Some men cannot control themselves and I was falling into that category. It was like driving a bright red sports car, it just looks like you are going 90, even when you are. I needed a bike that looked like it was doing 40, even when it was doing 90.

Oh, back to the thread or how does this story relate to the subject (It doesn't), at 90 with no or little windshield, hanging on against wind pressure is just something that comes naturally and lifting your hands off the handlebar better be for something very important, like opening your visor before you sneeze, not after. Waving, well it is well down the list on those bikes.

I'm not really crazy and even though it is suppose to rain all weekend, I'll be on the bike tonight until dark as it is reasonably good weather now. Hopefully, I'll get enough ride in to be considered sane again. As long as there is no sanity test, I'll be okay.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Sporties find it hard to wave laying down on the bike, staring at the road or are getting ready to pop a wheelie and need both hands or getting ready to wave at everyone with both hands while standing on the bike.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts