Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm working on my wifes bike to fix the speedometer needle that stopped working. So I went to dealer to have a look see (mistake), and they replaced the whole speedometer sensor assembly (240 bucks). After we picked it up my wife noticed that the speedo read double or more speed than actual.
I called the stealer back to see what they could do, and they mentioned that they put the correct part on (unit fits 2001 - current), and that I might now need a new speedometer at a cost of about 600 bucks.

Not gonna happen.....

So I'm left with a 2002 Volusia that will now clock double the mileage that it should, or I have to get a new or used speedometer.

Has anyone had this same issue, and if so, what did they do to remedy the problem?

Thank you in advance for any constructive help you may have to offer.:grin:

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Your dealer parts person sucks. The part you needed costs about $15. It is the Speedo ceramic magnet that was needed to be replaced more then likely. They are different part numbers for the Volusia and the C50. The C50 magnet has double the magnet strips embedded and that is why it reads twice the speed.

Here is a threac with pics and part numbers. Take it to your dealer.

Speedo sensor
2001-04 MAGNET 34983-21E00
2005-14 MAGNET 34983-27G00

http://www.volusiariders.com/58-mot...13141-speedo-sensor-replacement-pictures.html

·
Super Moderator
34,498 Posts
I was gonna reply, but you said it had to be constructive. :biglaugh:

As an add on, I'm pretty sure the odometer doesn't read off of the speed sensor, so your mileage won't be effected by it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.