Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate inaccurate instruments, so I had to do something with the speedometer. I recorded the error, speedometer vs GPS, at several speeds so that I could lay out a new dial that was much more accurate. You can see for example at 55 mph GPS my speedo was reading 60. I got the new dial done at Speed Gauge Customs. Find it on Facebook. The work was good, but the proprietor does this part time so it did take a couple of weeks to get it. He can do quite detailed gauge faces, but I kept mine pretty simple and easy to read. Pretty easy to install - open the speedo, pry off the needle with a fork, replace dial, replace needle. Only problem is my bike now does only 110 mph top end instead of 120!

Attachments

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Unfortunately, gps speeds can be off also. I noticed on mine at 50, the gps said 45. I just run mine 5 mph over what I wanted to run.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Very nice! Some use a speedo healer but then the odometer is affected. Most simply ride 5 mph or 10 km over. It's kind of dumb that most of the metric bikes are that way now for many years. No reason that it couldn't be accurate. Do the Harley's, Indian's, Victory bikes have built in speedo error?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I may be in the minority but I LIKE the speedometer error, I swear it kept me from a traffic ticket more than once 😁

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Some use a speedo healer but then the odometer is affected.
My odometer was only off by about 1% so I didn't want to use the electronic gadget. My Yamaha Vino 125 has a mechanical speedometer which was not really adjustable, but I was able to bend an internal bracket and move the magnet from the cup a bit and got it to within 1 mph.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
DickB , that seems like a good way to be more accurate. Every bike I have had since getting back in riding the speed kas been off. They are always on the low side. On my recent bike I did the testing using the phone gps and at lower speeds bike is around 3 mph slow on the speedo. At higher speeds around 5mph slow. I know this so I just ride accordingly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've had two Boulevards and the speedo was off on both. The one I have now is off by exactly 10% so when the speedo says 50, I'm really going 45. I've just gotten used to doing the math.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts