Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says speedometer, odometer, and fuel gauge will stop working, and come back on. Its not all the time, sometimes they come on when i turn on the bike sometimes they don't. No rhyme or reason to it. Does not happen when riding no turning off and on and no jumping of the speedometer needle while riding. everything else in the cluster works. dummy lights, back lighting of lcd and speedometer work fine all the time.

I did search the forum and google. I does not seam to be the speed sensor in the wheel because of the lcd going out as well and when it does work it works great. I pulled the cluster off checked the plug and it seams to be fine. i have read that the wiring is known to rub on the frame on some of the bikes.

I have not yet tried to pull the tank off and take head light out to check wires yet. I wanted ask if there is anywhere i should check in the wiring harness before i go to town on this thing with the voltmeter.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
521 Posts
What year is the bike? I'm assuming 07 or 08 from the tittle? It could be the wiring (i'd start at the headlight, real easy to take apart). It might be the speedo itself or the harness connected to it. Did you ensure that its tight?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
This is really dumb but check the fuse that is marked signal. Don't ask why. It may be loose. I lost 1000 miles on my bike from this fuse being blown (a slight hairline fracture in the fuse). Pulled apart the ignition switch, checked all the wires etc. It turned out to be the fuse.

Turn signals worked okay but .......... no speedo, no odometer, no brake lights go figure.

Hope you find the solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was the contacts at the gauge cluster. Not long after I posted that I that it stoped working again. I took the cluster a part and found water had gotten in to the housing and caroaded the electronics board inside at the bottom, looks like water was sitting in there. Not sure if this is a common problem, or maybe someone used a pressure washer on the bike at some time. I ended up have to find a salavge gauge cluster on the web to replace it. And no the digital odometer did not transfer over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts