Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have read that you can buy these custom inlays for the speedometer, but was thinking "how hard can it be?".

As I have moved (with the Volusia) from US to Denmark (in Europe), I would also like to change the readings from mph to kmph. So the idea is that I take out the original inlay, scan it on the computer, use the mph marks to get the right kmph readings, put on a nice custom design, laminate it and cut it in the right shape.

Any ideas if this is going to work or any other suggestions?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,921 Posts
I havn't seen post from him lately. guess the plans fell thru.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links.

I'm a "learning by doing" guy, so I need to at least try to disasemble the speedo, to see how hard it is to change the speedo faceplate.

Not sure when I will get the time for it (hopefully in the weekend), but will let you know how it went.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mod completed:

You can see it here:



The result was what I had imagined it should be - only drawback is that it is a little hard to see the readings when riding in the dark, but since I do most of my riding in the light, I can live with it.

Disassembling the speedo was not that difficult, only thing was that the peg, that stops the needle (don't know what the correct term is), had to be broken, as I could not find a way to take it out without breaking it, and I had to take it off, or else I could not scan the plate.

So I scanned the plate - used Paint Shop Pro to change all the readings to kilometers, and added a nice picture. Printet it out on paper, and cut it out, put it on top of the original plate, and put everything back together. Used a piece of a nail as peg stopper.

When I had assempled everything and took the bike for a ride, the needle did not move one bit - back in the garage I put some more pressure on the needle, as I thought it might be because it needed a little more pressure - did not help. After some testing I found out, that it was because it was pressed too hard. Loosend it a little, and now it works fine.

Have not calibrated it with the GPS to see if the readings are right, but judging by my gut feeling, I think it is not too far off.

So all in all I would say mission accomplished as planned.

If anyone needs a scan of the (stock) speedo plate, let me know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
Been messing around with this for awhile. I used a CD printing program but a scanned template would probably be better.
There was someone making them from your pics but I don't think he's doing it anymore.

 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top