Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I thought about that, but turns out my odometer was pretty much spot on. So then speed would be accurate but odometer would have been off. Instead I got a custom speedometer gauge face made, with corrections to the dial made by me by comparing old gauge face to GPS at 5 mph intervals. I'm now within 1 mph of GPS at all speeds. Turned out to be less expensive than the electronic device.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The speedometer and odometer take the same source signal, but are calibrated differently. Odometers are usually virtually perfect. Speedometers are routinely 10% fast on virtually every motorcycle. Doesn't matter if it's mechanical or digital, it's done deliberately. Why, I'm not really sure. Speedometers can only under-read (per DOT standards) by like 0.5%, but there's no rule on over-reading, so not sure if OEMs just way overshoot "to be safe"? It makes you think your bike is a little faster than it really is? It's there to compensate for how everyone drives 10% over the limit anyway? Who knows. If the sensor reads the front wheel, you can go to a slightly higher profile front tire (if possible), although I find that tends to make the handling a bit lazy feeling.

You can use something like a Speedohealer, however then your odometer will be the same percentage slow as it modifies the one signal coming from the speed sensor. Not that bothers most people, miles rack up 15% slower. Some more modern bikes where you can flash the ECU the speedo can be corrected that way without adversely affecting the ODO. The Powervision tuner for my Scout allowed a speedo compensation, and removing about 9% made it bang on accurate to a GPS. I'm not aware of anything like this for Suzuki's yet.

A custom gauge face is a neat idea, map out the angle of each hash mark, and slide it ~10% back. Although speedo assemblies are often very difficult to disassemble on purpose to deter people messing about with the memory or tampering with the mileage, as most bikes it's stored in the speedo unit (not in the central ECU, as in with cars).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought about that, but turns out my odometer was pretty much spot on. So then speed would be accurate but odometer would have been off. Instead I got a custom speedometer gauge face made, with corrections to the dial made by me by comparing old gauge face to GPS at 5 mph intervals. I'm now within 1 mph of GPS at all speeds. Turned out to be less expensive than the electronic device.
I had thought that the odometer would have been out as well. I'd never checked. Now I am going to have to on my next ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Speedometer accuracy?

I’m hearing that our speedos are off by as much as 10%. Is this true of the c50, and if so, what does 55mph really mean?

Thanks,
I've had 2 Suzuki. A C50 and a C90t. Both speedos were exactly 10% off. Got a great deal on a valkyrie and that has a speed limiter on it. All bikes have their quirks.

·
Registered
19,610 Posts
The speedometer on my CTX is dead on. 70mph on the dash equals 70mph on the gps. Same thing with my Vulcan before...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts