Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've been searching on the forums for a day now and I see where others have mentioned this exacxt problem, but I haven't found a fix as of yet.

So the speedo on my '02 VL800 is acting up. Most often it sits at zero, but sometimes it will bounce around close to or above my actual speed. Other times it pegs, then bounces, then will drop back to zero. When it seems unresponsive, it seems to begin bouncing again when I take a turn. This could be coincidence or just me looking for some random cause.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) Removed the front wheel and checked the sensor. The ceramic sensor is fine. I replaced it last summer and it's in perfect condition; no broken tabs.

2) Checked the cable coming up the right fork from the reader next to the hub. The cable is free and has not rubbed on the hub. No worn spots or frays. I also followed it all the way up to the headlight bucket and all looks fine.

3) Disconnected the connector behind the headlight. No rust. Reconnected.

4) Removed the speedo from the tank. Disassembled the speedo and circuit board. The board looks like it just left the factory; squeaky clean.

The only other thing I've noticed is the housing around all of the cables coming up from underneath the front of the gas tank to the speedo. The housing is a bit worn just at the bend of the tank. I couldn't tell if any cables inside were worn.

Any other thoughts? Any other things I should check? Thanks in advance for the help!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
25,177 Posts
Based on the symptoms you listed I would guess a writing problem somewhere. Even if there's no sign of wear on the cable there could be a break in it or a bad connection. I'd start with taking every connector loose, clean it with denatured alcohol and put it back together. Make sure you use denatured, as standard isopropyl alcohol has contaminates in it that can cause corrosion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
EdgyPixel, did you get your problem solved? I'm having the same problem. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks. I also get a row of eights across the readout window.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi monkey, I sure did. I meant to post these pics here a couple of weeks ago and completely forgot. Thanks for reminding me! I never had the readout go crazy, though.

So a few weeks ago, I got fed up with the speedo and vowed to get to the bottom of it. I jacked the front end up and noticed that if I spun the tire by hand, the speedo would work with the wheel fully left. Turn the bars right and the speedo went berserk or stopped working completely. After jiggling with wires behind the headlight, I traced it back to the bundle coming out of the bucket which wrapped around the center tree. I found the bundle had been cut or was sliced from brittleness and bending over the years and several wires were exposed (see pics) and completely separated. Obviously turning the bars left made the wires contact each other (hence the speedo working) and turning right would pull the wires apart. So I pulled slack in the wires and spliced everything together, then wrapped it all in several layers of electrical tape and all is well. This was an easy one, and something I should have seen early on. Oh well.

I hope yours is as easy!





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Thanks, Edgy! I'll check out that solution later this morning. I'll let you know how I make out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Well, Edgy, I'm a little embarrassed. I never suspected the battery itself. It was only a little over a year old. One winter, part time on a battery tender. Sears. Never again. The original battery lasted almost ten years.

I bought a low cost multi meter so I could start tracking. Jump started the bike from the car while on the stand. Runs fine after starting. Just the speedo needle jumping and acting crazy.

Checked voltage across battery with engine running. About 4 volts. Shut off bike and checked it again. Same thing.

Called dealer to see if he had a Yuasa OEM battery on stock. Affirmative. "Put it on charge," I said. "I'll be there in about an hour."

Installed the battery. Only a little difficulty. I have two extra ring terminals under the post screws. This raises the screw about two threads short of picking up the nut. Folded a card paper to act as a temporary shim under the nut. Success!

Reinstalled the 30A fuse, turned the key, hit the starter and magic happened: Everything worked properly!

Life is good today. Except that it is now raining and I can't take it for a test ride.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top