Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
The notch he is speaking of is not the speedo sensor tabs but the metal notch that the sensor holder rests on after it is mounted again (see post #26 for pics). It seems that if you have it under you may be putting some strain on the cable/wires. I know someone had the sensor holder get stuck and spin and it broke the wires.

BTW, the difference in the sensor itself for the different years is the amount of magnet strips in the ceramic. If you get the wrong year (a C50 instead of a VOL) for your bike the speedo goes twice as fast :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone find the markings off the oil seal for me?

My stealer says it may take 3 weeks for the seal to arrive through his distributor, but he tells me its a common seal, so the local hydraulics shop should be able to source the seal. However, half the surface of my seal is gone, and I can't make out enough markings on the seal to order another one from a catalog. Does anyone have a seal around that they could read off the markings for me?

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Can anyone find the markings off the oil seal for me?

My stealer says it may take 3 weeks for the seal to arrive through his distributor, but he tells me its a common seal, so the local hydraulics shop should be able to source the seal. However, half the surface of my seal is gone, and I can't make out enough markings on the seal to order another one from a catalog. Does anyone have a seal around that they could read off the markings for me?
Post #14

Part#09286-4401

If that's what your looking for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Post #14

Part#09286-4401

If that's what your looking for.
Thanks for the reply, but no, I'm looking for the actual seal manufacturers number or style number, not the Suzuki number.

On the face of the seal there is a series of numbers. On my seal they start with "XMHA 44 55". The rest of the seal face is chewed up, and I can't make out the rest of the seal number.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but no, I'm looking for the actual seal manufacturers number or style number, not the Suzuki number.

On the face of the seal there is a series of numbers. On my seal they start with "XMHA 44 55". The rest of the seal face is chewed up, and I can't make out the rest of the seal number.
Thought I might have the old one laying out in the garage somewhere but no luck, sorry. Thanks for helping me clean up a bit though! :shock:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

I bought the seal the last time I replaced my sensor but I never used it. I should have it laying around somewhere. If I can find it, I'm sure we can work something out. I will check tonight and get back to you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just happened to have one I just picked up to repair my 2002 Volusia.
The numbers on the seal itself are:
XMHA 44 55 6-1
Koyo

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

I found the seal if you are interested. New and never used. Original Suzuki part # 09286-44001. The # on the seal is XMHA 44 55 6-1 KOYO.

It's in my hands and ready to mail today. They go for like $6 so any reasonable offer accepted.

Let me know or else I can will make it available to anyone.

Thx.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am paranoid about everything I do, I just put my front wheel back on, and sine of the axel past the spaced on the side opposite the speedo sensor is visible. Is this normal? I am just worried it will fall apart on me or something...

·
Registered
212 Posts
here is a picture, should there be this much axle showing past the spacer? is this normal? I thought before I took the wheel off, that the fork was right up against the spacer...
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
There should be some gap there. Did you use a torque wrench putting wheel back on? Torquing to spec is important for the front wheel.

47ft lbs for the Axel
24ft lbs for the pinch bolt

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is great!! My first post.
I've been trying to track down this squeek for a while. I replaced the brake pads, then wondered if the caliper was warped. Then, maybe the wheel bearings. So, I'm hoping to tackle the speed sensor next. Anyone know the size of the Allen Key required to remove the axle key? Metric I believe.
Thanks for the information guys. I'm not a mechanic, but I feel empowered now after reading this!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
This is great!! My first post.
I've been trying to track down this squeek for a while. I replaced the brake pads, then wondered if the caliper was warped. Then, maybe the wheel bearings. So, I'm hoping to tackle the speed sensor next. Anyone know the size of the Allen Key required to remove the axle key? Metric I believe.
Thanks for the information guys. I'm not a mechanic, but I feel empowered now after reading this!

I dont remember the wrench size off the top of my head but I'm 98% sure both wrenches were in my (factory issued) tool pouch. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Pinch bolt is 8mm, axle is 12mm, torque settings will be in your owner's manual and, yes, the correct allen keys are supplied in your tool kit with the bike, though I use inhex sockets to use the torque wrench.
Front axle 65N.m, 47lb/ft front axle pinch bolt 33N.m, 24lb/ft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Many Thanks

Great thread guys! I've had this sqeaky-rubbing noise at the front wheel all summer and didn't know what it was. I was about to give up when I read this!
And sure enough, the axle and speed sensor was dry as a bone (or close to it).
So, I'm hoping the grease I smeared everywhere will do the trick, as no parts were broken or worn.
Thanks again!

Suzuki Boulevard C50T 2008

·
Registered
158 Posts
Could a dry speedo magnet be a reason for loud whine at 60 kmph that stops when i reach 80? The sound comes atexactly 60 kmphirrespective of gear, weather,incline etc. bike is cold or hot, no matter what oil i use.? The sound goes when i holdthe clutch and comes when i accelerate....

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Could a dry speedo magnet be a reason for loud whine at 60 kmph that stops when i reach 80? The sound comes atexactly 60 kmphirrespective of gear, weather,incline etc. bike is cold or hot, no matter what oil i use.? The sound goes when i holdthe clutch and comes when i accelerate....

I'd be checking the drive shaft spline, make sure that's greased up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I spoke to the stealership and had a long argument. They juz wont get my point. He kept stuck to the fact that its sealed from the factory and u dont need any maintenance except gear oil. I still stuck to what i wanted to be done and he said come by we will have a look. Im going to take an exploded view of the final gear picture with me and tell them exactly where to put the grease. And what all to check for wear and tear. I dont trust them but its gonna be cheaper than me buying a bike lift and tools. Hopefully they will do it right. He wanted to open up the engine and i said no ways!!

41 - 60 of 116 Posts