Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks guys. Last time I took mine off, I only had 3 of the 4 "wings" left. Because I didn't have a new one, I re-installed the old one with plenty of grease. Was having the squeak that others have mentioned, and this took care of it. I still should replace it with a new one soon.

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone post a pic of how the speedo should lock on to the fork?I'm talking about the little tab sticking out of the fork. I replaced my front tire and want to make sure I installed it correctly.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Where the notch on the fork is.
Hope this is what your looking for. Sorry for the quality but I just got back from a trip and I had to use my phone camera as my batteries are on the charger for my real camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Just found this. Nice pictures. Speedo just quit and this might be the problem. This looks "easy" for an ignoramous like me. :)

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Tagged for future reference (Need to help my son change on his Volusia - he's only been riding around for the past year without his speedo working!)

Sounds like you've done this before T-man. Might be calling on you for advice.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have had to replace mine twice so far and the one in there now is missing a toof. I looked here for the squeeking noise when it gets cold and see someone else has the same thing and I guess I need to grease it up which is something I never did. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Like many others, broken tabs was the problem to my speedo. I ordered the parts online from Powersportsplus.com. Great deal and in my hands in 6 days.

I ordered the new sensor and also a seal (I may be wrong, but I didnt see a seal anywhere in there when I pulled the unit holding the sensor away from the hub). I hope it will become obvious when I pull it apart again this weekend.

Anyway, speaking of grease... I have a can of bearing (or axel) grease sitting around. Will that work or do I have to buy some special lube. Of course I need maybe a tablespoon or less. Any advise appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: vmaxdlx

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was directed to this thread since I am having the same problem (strangely enough, my Volusia is also a 2002). I see the part number above - now

where can/should I order the part?
Iow - do you guys/gals have a store you prefer (online or retail)?

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Absolutely make sure you get the right part #, no matter how many times they say the other one will work, it won't.

2001-04 MAGNET 34983-21E00

I have ordered mine from the dealer or once from Oneida Suzuki when I was in a hurry (shipping my be a killer there). Look around online with that part number.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
^^^^look at my previous post if you want an online supplier. Otherwise your local stealer can always help you too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a quick note to say THANKS! I was able to replace the speedo on my bike a couple of weeks ago. With the excellent pictures, it took me about 20 minutes to remove the part (including getting the bike on blocks) and 15 minutes to put the new one in.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
What happens if the case does not go in front of the notch?
I'd just cut those little tabs off the sides and it should fit fine. :biglaugh: Sorry... couldnt help myself.

Are you sure you have the right part for your model? I dont know the physical difference, but there are two different part #'s out there for different years.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts