Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Volusia is starting hard and running rough, Bogging while idling. I'm thinking about changing the spark plugs because I'm not sure when they were last checked and/or changed. (I bough the bike in February) I'm looking for some input on the best plug and gap to use as well as other possible input to solve my issue.
Thanks

·
Registered
19,530 Posts
Use the stock plug, gapped to 0.8 – 0.9 mm (0.031 – 0.036 in). Fancy spark plugs will not resolve rough running unless there is something catastrophically wrong with the plugs you have in the bike already.

It sounds more like you have a fueling issue, most likely caused by a vacuum leak or a plugged carb jet, or both.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
My 2003 Volusia is starting hard and running rough, Bogging while idling. I'm thinking about changing the spark plugs because I'm not sure when they were last checked and/or changed. (I bough the bike in February) I'm looking for some input on the best plug and gap to use as well as other possible input to solve my issue.
Thanks
You can’t get a better plug for the VL 800 than the NGK plugs.

The stock NGK plug is

DPR7EA-9

The gap range is from 0.030”-0.036”.

I tend to gap plugs At the higher end of the specification even though it does make the coil work a little bit harder.
Gapping at the high-end of the spec gives a better spark for A more complete fuel ignition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts