Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a link for spark plug wires for a Volusia?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Anyone have a link for spark plug wires for a Volusia?
From what I found you can't buy spark plug wires from the dealer unless you buy the assembly that includes the coils. That being said, I replaced my plug wires a couple years ago with wire from the local parts store. I bought 8mm spark plug wire, they sell it off a roll. Buy more than what you think you'll need. The coil end has a outer shell that covers the plug wire and coil where it meets the coil. I found that I could remove the plug wire from the coil by unthreading the wire out of the coil. Once you get it out and look down inside you'll see a spike in the coil. A little dab of di-electric grease on the new wire and push and thread the new wire down into the coil. The same goes for the spark plug end. Un thread and grease, rethread into the plug. The cover that transitions the wire at the coil and plug is there to keep moisture from getting in and ruining the contact at the spike to wire connection. Before you get one side or the other mounted put a piece of heat shrink tubing over the wire that will also go over the coil and like wise the boot. Once the heat shrink tubing is set into place you'll have your new wires installed and protected from moisture, rain, etc.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bike is lurching in the low to mid range rpms. Do you think that just replacing the wires will fix that or should I go ahead and replace the coils as well?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked everything. The only thing I can think of is spraying the new jet down with some carb cleaner and seeing if that does anything

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
When it does it, reach down and pull the choke out a little. If the lurching stops, then you are running lean and it is a carburetor issue.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put a cobra jet kit in it, so it shouldn't be

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
There are so many variables to getting a jet kit right, there is basically no way the bike would run perfect after just installing a kit. Many people take theirs apart multiple times to get it right. Just about every bike would run different with the same kit installed.
Do you know the jet sizes you used, pilot, main, and how many turns out on the fuel screw?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aint that the truth.... Have had mine apart so many times, I have it down to a science and can do it in about 8 minutes lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts