Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys get spare keys done???

I called every locksmith, dealership, motorsports store and none does or have any idea who does.... Finally one guy tells me there's an old man in the back of a Cuban restaurant that duplicates keys.

I can't help but laugh. Do you guys have any non-shady suggestions? Is the bike a paperweight once you lose the keys?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I bought a blank online and took it to a local locksmith. They wouldn't "guarantee" it since it wasn't their blank but let me take it out and try it and it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I got a blank from the local MC supply house. Took to lowes and they made it..worked fine

·
Registered
150 Posts
you got a bad locksmith. Normally they look it up in a book and tell you if they have the blank and if they don't you have to wait a week while they order it. I wound up buying a cool red one for my Yamaha on ebay and just taking it to be cut. They told me the same thing about not guaranteeing the fit.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
I had mine made @ a local locksmith. He had the blank and it works fine. Only thing is it's a bit lo.ger than the original .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Suzuki C50 is the bike I have. I just made a key for it. I went everywhere including ACE Hardware and they have no motorcycle blanks like TruValue does not either. So I walked in and asked for guy who knows most about making a key at ACE. He went over and picked up a blank for a car, cut the key and handed it to me. I went out and it started right up. 3.24 dollars. The same place cut a key for a HOnda I owned so that's why I returned. It's very simple - if (and a big if) you get the right person.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Dealership only sells motorcycle keys. My guess is they order them by number from the OEM. Your paying shipping and handling but may not have to have a key just the locks number. You may also get a Suzuki Key not a no name generic to some it's worth a double sawbuck.

Home Depot sells all kinds of keys for $1.50 best bet for low cost key. For them it might be one of those low loss things to get you hooked on shopping at home depot. Kind of like free hot dogs at some Harley Dealerships. The dealership where I bought my Motor Home also provided free hot dogs.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I went to a locksmith and he cut one it worked on the gas tank but not on the ignition he went back and grabbed a different Suzuki blank and no problem $3.50.
I also had one for my other c50 made at Ace ....Ace is da place!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Can't speak for the C50, but I recently broke the key to my Honda ST1300. I didn't break the key off in the lock (thank goodness) so I took the 2 halfs up to the local hardware store and ask if they could make a copy. They found a simular key from a nissian and cut it. The new key fit the gas tank and the hardbags but not the ignition. It was too short and would not go far enough in. Broke down and called a locksmith and he came out and cut a key in 10 minutes right at my garage, no problem. I told him the hardware story and he said, "You should always call a professional!" Then he smiled and charged me 245 dollars for that 10 minutes.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Can't speak for the C50, but I recently broke the key to my Honda ST1300. I didn't break the key off in the lock (thank goodness) so I took the 2 halfs up to the local hardware store and ask if they could make a copy. They found a simular key from a nissian and cut it. The new key fit the gas tank and the hardbags but not the ignition. It was too short and would not go far enough in. Broke down and called a locksmith and he came out and cut a key in 10 minutes right at my garage, no problem. I told him the hardware story and he said, "You should always call a professional!" Then he smiled and charged me 245 dollars for that 10 minutes.
225 dollars? You must be joking right ?:crying:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts