Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
I like the change in sound, maybe a tad quieter but also a little lower in tone.

·
Registered
517 Posts
one of the best mods you can do for you and your riding buddies.also with the added back pressure your bike will seem to run a whole lot better.

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its alot less loud on the highway, i have a daily commute down a highway at 65-75 mph for 9 miles and its alot better on the ears with the hardpartz.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sixpack Thanks so much for the heads up on the pipe baffles. I am going to give chris a call back at smart partz and let em know how much i love the sound. It's sounds a bit like an old corvette or rat rod when yah get on it on the highway... It's pretty awesome!!! I also got the flame tips. I haven't put them on yet cause I want to pinstripe them and all....
See yah up at Americade....
-dWv

·
Registered
87 Posts
Pretty nice sound, I just took my Spiral stock ones out and replaced them with the Straight Throughs.

Actually ran it without the baffles for a ride or two - never again, sounds terrible and it will blue the ends of the pipes. Plus it needs the backpressure too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: straights

TDragon said:
HK straights baffles are better sounding than the stock spirals?

With the smartz baffles, is the tone lower than with stock spirals?
It seems quieter and the tone lower, but hearing the sound clip and being there in person are different.

I don't know about the straight throughs yet, my bike is in the shop getting a dyno and custom map.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just ordered a set today for my straight shots, hope they work as good as you guys say. The wife says the straight shots are too loud for her sitting behind me.

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
knucklehead said:
I just ordered a set today for my straight shots, hope they work as good as you guys say. The wife says the straight shots are too loud for her sitting behind me.
did you get them installed, if so what did you think?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry, took me so long to reply. Yes I installed them and I think it sounds great. Not so much high pitch sound. Also seems like the the bike runs a little smoother cause there's more back pressure. My wife really loves it cause it's quieter. The nice part is when I crack the throttle there's plenty sound for the cagers to know I'm there. I also installed my DJ Mod a couple days earlier, so cruising at 60 mph and only turning 3000 rpm really sounds good. IMO they make the C50 sound like a bigger bike.

·
Registered
650 Posts
sixpack: great post, thanks for video and audio!

You cracked the throttle with the hard partz baffles but not for without, I was hoping to hear how the midrange throttle scream sounded.

I cant hear mine because my bike is in a thousand pieces in my garage right now, but I have the HK3" and I'm getting tired of the ear-splitting loudness :(

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Sounds - HK 3" "stock" and with Smartpart

SharkB8 said:
sixpack said:

did you install the them over the Spiral baffles and did you use the 3" or 6" baffles from smartpartz?
6" ones, and they slid right inside of the OEm spiral baffles. i thinkt the spiral baffles are about 5-6" inside the pipe so the smartpartz just went into them an inch or so.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thank you! I am going to order them next week!

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mondain98 said:
Awesome I have my 6" baffles chilling in the freezer right now actually, will put them tonight!
i didn't chill mine and they slid right in, a little Wd40.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just put them in. the 3" ones designed for use with the stock baffles ( HK big straights).

easy to do but here is a hint:

tap them in but just enough to get the end cap in then use the end cap to slowly tap them in evenly. I didn't do this and tapped one in to far. BIG PAIN IN THE A** to pull that thing out.

I didn't need to chill them either. I just put some WD40 on Brillo cleaned the inside then wiped it down.

The sound... AWESOME! as others have stated.. deep tone, no tinny noise any more and a nice rumble on the entire RPM range. love it!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I chilled them and wiped down the inside of the pipe AND smeared some wd40 on the baffles.

The top one went in perfect.

The bottom one made me hate life.

My guess is from years of scraping my pipes I actually BENT the pipe enough so that it was no longer perfectly round, but ever-so-slightly egg shaped. So the baffle had to be tapped in with a rubber mallet. Oh, and that sucker aint coming out unless I drill it out!

I also had problems with the "tab" on the baffle, that the screw goes through. On the top pipe? No problem. Bottom pipe, and all 3 holes wouldnt line up. I tried to twist and pull the tab, which broke off all the chrome on the tab. Eventually, I *CUT* the tab from a hole into an open-ended slot, got the screw in, and clamped it down with the provided nut. It aint going anywhere, trust me.

And for once I actually rode my bike without earplugs and my friggin head didnt split! :)

Sounded better. Not perfect, and maybe not where I/we would love to have it, but by god they sound much better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts