Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may recall i had a thread going a couple of days ago about hesitation at low speed on my 2007 fuel injected boulevard? I got some suggestions and did some checking yesterday. I checked everything under the tank, throttle body, hoses etc and all the clamps were good and tight. Could not find and problems at all. However when i pulled the sparkplugs i noticed that the one plug on the right was covered with a dry sooty substance. The one on the left had a nice tan color. Any suggestions? Is it possible to have a bad plug after about 5000 km? The bike starts good and idles fine. Right now there is a two to three week waiting time at the shop as it is their busy season. Any solution to the above problem without having to wait for a appointment at the shop? Would appreciate any and all suggestions :) Have a good day all.

Henry

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
for $5, you could slap a new plug in there and see if it solves it. sometimes plugs do just crap out, so between a few weeks' wait to see a dealer, vs. a 30 minute 5 buck experiment, i think it'd be worth it to find out!

it could even be that some bad fuel left a deposit on that plug, and putting a new one in (now that you're running good gas) would solve it. maybe try some seafoam (available from NAPA - the only place i've found it in canada) as well - $11.99 for the 900mL can, which will likely last you a season.

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mistressk said:
for $5, you could slap a new plug in there and see if it solves it. sometimes plugs do just crap out, so between a few weeks' wait to see a dealer, vs. a 30 minute 5 buck experiment, i think it'd be worth it to find out!

it could even be that some bad fuel left a deposit on that plug, and putting a new one in (now that you're running good gas) would solve it. maybe try some seafoam (available from NAPA - the only place i've found it in canada) as well - $11.99 for the 900mL can, which will likely last you a season.

cheers!

-mistress k
I took your suggestion and picked up a couple of new plugs at NAPA as they are close by. Could not get the seafoam as they were out. Anyway i put a new plug in. Lost a washer from the chrome show piece that sits around the plug while taking the bolt out to get at the plug :( Spend a good half hour looking for it. In the process i found a 8mm socket that i lost last year when checking the valves and no i did not find the washer :lol: Maybe next time around :lol: I cleaned the old plug yesterday and put it back in at the time. Put only put about 6 km on it while getting a new set and noticed that the old one was covered with soot again after removal. So will see if the new plug will do the job. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion Mistress k. You and Tanker have a good weekend
:)

Henry .

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
hope it works out for you - if you have time, might take a photo of the sooty plug to post so some of our plug oracles can have a boo at it.

have a great weekend yourself! :D

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mistressk said:
hope it works out for you - if you have time, might take a photo of the sooty plug to post so some of our plug oracles can have a boo at it.

have a great weekend yourself! :D

cheers!

-mistress k
Have the time but not the camera :lol: The best way i can describe the plug is that the whole bottom of the plug was black. Not wet, but a sooty powdery black, that wiped off easy. The plug itself looks like new when cleaned. That is the best i can do for now lol. Will see what the new plug will do . Take care.

Henry.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RainmanX said:
Black plugs are usually too rich..Check you air filter and intake to be sure there is no blockage!
Would i not have both plugs black instead of just the one if that was the case ?

Henry

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
henry postma said:
RainmanX said:
Black plugs are usually too rich..Check you air filter and intake to be sure there is no blockage!
Would i not have both plugs black instead of just the one if that was the case ?

Henry
There are times that 1 cylinder can be rich and the other lean. Some of the after market fuel management computers can actually set up the front and rear cylinder differently.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
May have fixed the problem. I put a new plug in yesterday and also put a bit of dialectric grease in the plug boots to facilitate getting the boots all the way on ,just in case. Took the bike for a 30 km ride . Lo and behold hesitation gone and hardly any popping on deceleration. Before it would do a lot of popping and it was really audable when letting off the throttle, even with earplugs in lol. Now i have to really pay attention to notice it . Anyway when i got home i removed the new plug and no soot. The tip was a grey color and according to the manuel grey or a light tan is normal. I then took the opposite plug out and it was a light tan. So while i had that one out i replaced it with a new one too. I thought i would mention the above, just in case this problem happens to someone else. So it must have been either a bad plug or the plugboot was not completely seated all the way down and so resulting in a bad connection to the sparkplug. So , i thank you Mistrissk. Your suggestion paid off :D.

Henry.

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
great to hear it was an easy fix! :D

cheers!

-mistress k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts