Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VTX 1300 and selling the Vol. I think I'm ready to move up in size a little and found an '04 on CL that is very appealing. Anyone have any experience with these bikes? If it works out, I'll have orig DJ drive and a Corbin seat to sell.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I dunno what others may say but almost bought a 1300 and the guy had sold it before I got back to him. I considered it about equal to the C50 as far as feel, with higher speeds a little more to the 1300 and handling to the C50. The only thing I did not like about that bike was the way it steered however I have heard since that there is a bushing/bearing you can replace to fix that.

Reactions: Vol4Life

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
There is a gal in our riding group that has a 1300 VTX. Carbed.

It is the hardest starting bike I've ever run into. If it's a cold morning we end up pulling the spark plugs and warming them up. (don't laugh, it works).

She has had it to two different shops and they both tell her there's nothing they can do. I'm thinking it must have something to do with jets but they say no.

After working on her bike on three different outings, I know I'll never own one.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read up on the steering bearing issue or the "wobble". Would definitely address that with the seller. Maybe I'll ask to see it early morning and see how it cranks cold! Ha!

·
Registered
484 Posts
My ex-girlfriend/ current riding buddy has an '04 with over 65,000 miles on it. Loves it. Fires up effortlessly, looks and drives like brand new still. She's taken it all over the country in all kinds of weather and nothing has ever gone wrong with it. I find it to be a touch dull and generic- maybe because there are so many of them on the road- but you can't beat it when it comes to reliability.

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
I've got 2 buddys that have had the 1300 and the one buddy sold it as fast as he got it and got the 1800. The other buddy has still got his 1300 but hasn't rode it in two years...........more of a time thing I think.

I've rode them both and without a doubt, the 1800 corners way better. Both look good. Over all, I'm not sure the 1300 is much of an upgrade but that 1800 ............. :scoot:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I haven't ridden one in person but have ridden alongside one on several occasions. I can't say anything about the reliability but I do like the looks of it - and I LOVE the sound of it. It's got that single pin crank vibe that a C50 will never have, and with aftermarket pipes it sounds terrific. Don't know the make of the pipes but the results are LOUD and FIERCE, definitely turns heads. Sounds way bigger than 1300cc. I find that fun.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just bought one a few weeks ago 1300 vtxc 2005 model. Havent rode it much yet but I can tell its got alot more torque than the c50. Also starts great so far. Some people on the vtx forum say not to use the choke much when you start it. I pulled mine out about halfway and it fire right up.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
More times than not, Honda gets it right.

My uncle owns a 5 year old VTX. No complaints.

All the carbed Hondas I've owned have been cold nature and need lots of choke.

·
Super Moderator
9,130 Posts
When I was moving up from my C50, I shopped a lot and the VTX1300 got on my short list. It was that or the Kawasaki Vulcan 1500.

Shoulda gotten the VTX1300. <Shrug> Live and learn.

Test ride it if you can! That's key, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Viper have her check the petcock diaphragm.
LOL, if you knew the kind of friendship we have and the kidding we do back and forth, you know darn well I'm going to tell her to check her diaphragm and if that aint it check her pet...****.

I can't wait to lay that one on her. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

She asked me if I thought there would be a way to install a tank heater on her bike, I think she was half serious.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've emailed the seller so hopefully will set up an appointment soon. I appreciate all input, pos and neg, regarding this make/model.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CL can be frustrating! Seller never replied to numerous emails and took down both ads posted. He had just updated a few days ago. A simple "sorry, it sold" would have sufficed. Oh well, maybe this is a sign to install the DJ drive. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Just bought a 1300 Trike last week. Starts just fine. Much different than the Vol. More power. Buddy has 37,000 on his with no issues. the 3wheel disc brakes stop on a dime!

Attachments

Reactions: RellaLou

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hey, if you like it and can afford it, then go ahead and buy it! Life is short.

If one is sold, there are others out there- keep up the search.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts