Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the 2001 Volusia to a dealer, ..... long boring story, but a disgruntled employee at one shop .... was fired, and decided to take it out on my bike once..... and booby trapped the wiring in places / connections and ripped a lot of it all out . The shop ... tried to conceal it and hooked up enough ... it would start and run , hoping I would get on , ride off and not know that nothing else worked, like lights, horn, indicators, and a host of anything else electrical. They refused to "fix it" .... talked to the owner, and he was an ass. So, spent 2 1/2 mo's going thru every wire, some things didn't work... found he had pulled wires out of connectors, then stuck them back in (making no connection) but looked OK... so had to go thru every one of them. Who would fire someone and then let them "touch" a bike ?

Dealer 2; Known as being reliable and dealt with them before .... just much further away. Bike not starting, had no time to spend on it and took it to them. They came back with wanting $1000 to go thru all the wiring. Duh, I knew the general wiring was all ok, but could be something connected to the wiring that went bad. Told them .... there are 3 key places on a Volusia ... if power is good at one, but not the next, you know right where to check for the problem ..... and what it would likely be.... that didn't take going thru every wire on the bike .... and a $1000. They were admamant, told them I would come and pick it up.... that was a crock.

Something they said hit me when going there...... they said they could start it with no problem in the shop, but roll it out with the seat on, and it wouldn't start.... and they couldn't figure out why . Hit me what it was. There is a connector right under the seat ... was it well seated ? They had all of that undone. Put the seat on, roll it out, and wont' start ? Connector not connected solid ?

They rolled out the bike, I took the seat off ....... checked the connector, it was not in on one end and connected right. Got it connected properly... put the seat on ..... started right up and put it on the trailer. So, what was that game ? They that dishonest, ? They that stupid ? Told them .... I had even mentioned it to them .... and it sure saved me $1000 for nothing but spending about 5 minutes. I told them ... so much for their reputation .......and my opinion of it and their shop not checking it , even when I brought it up with them. They had been telling me how "they" were the experts, but you couldn't figure this out ? ? Wow.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One of the things the Dealer 2 said.... we are the experts.... we know about the bikes than any of the people riding them ..... who think they do . Really? They didn't know they could check 3 points and narrow where the issue was, nor to check a obvious connector that fit all of their symptoms ... I said that maybe they weren;t quite as smart as they thought they were. ..... or they were just trying to rip off their customer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Within the past two years I have bought two bikes. The first was from a private individual. I went to see the bike, he told me all maintenance was up-to-date and showed me the documentation of work done, I checked everything (oil, tires, coolant, etc.), paid him and rode off. No problems -- everything was exactly as he represented to me.

Bike # 2, bought brand-new from a dealer. After an hour of haggling over price I signed on the dotted line. Waited another hour while the "Service Department" "prepped" the bike. I then rode 30 minutes home and did my check of everything -- oil was a pint low, coolant low, 14# of air in the front tire, 18# in the rear, chain slack of spec deflection. At least all the bolts were tight. So tell me -- what exactly did they do in the "servicing" of that bike? Answer -- not a thing. Will they ever get a chance to do any further servicing or repair on that bike, or ever get a chance to sell me another one? Not on your life...

·
Super Moderator
19,688 Posts
service shops are a crap shoot...I've been lucky with mine, lucky enough that in the 15 years I have been riding my Suzuki's, 04 Volusia 04-2010, 05 c90 2010--2013, 2006 c90 2013 -present...I have never had reason to take my ride to another shop...my place is honest and reliable...did have the unfortunate experience a few years back while on vacation in NH of the bike shutting down, turned out to be the stator, had it towed to a dealer close by to where I broke down and was royally ripped off for the repair...so been there, done that. If you're lucky enough to find a place you can trust, appreciate it.

·
Registered
19,344 Posts
I'm one of the lucky ones. I have two great shops within 5 miles of my house. Never had a bad experience with either.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Mechanics/Shops are all a crap shoot. There are good, honest, hardworking and well intentioned people and businesses and then there are the bad, dishonest and just plain stupid ones. There is not a great way to separate them, except to go by other riders' word of mouth (and that doesn't always guarantee you'll get the same experience). My solution has been to learn as much as you can and do your own work, if possible. Otherwise, research, research, research.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I can't even find a shop to do valve adjustment on my 2008 C50: Valve Adjustment Tools Question

And when I just bought my bike, shop sold me rear drum brake pads on 3,500 miles C50... F"UU"K"rs! Plus did a piss-poor job at other repairs.

I kind-off gave-up trying to get service on my C50; I just don't trust any of the shops around me to do a good job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts