Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This year - earlier than planned I have sold my C50.

I always had the feeling in the back of my head that the C50 won't be the bike that stays with me for the next decade. After riding it for 15000 miles there were a few points that bothered me and I ran into a good offer for a bike that I adored for a few years now.

What bothered me about the C50:
The stock seat - easily remidied with the faboulous Mustang comfort seat. That's a must have.
Low foot pegs (yes I know it's a cruiser), but with so many curved mountain roads next to my house I often felt like driving a truck rather than a motorcycle.
Piston slap when cold - which I couldn't solve even with thicker and thicker oil. I was always worried about damage to the cylinder walls when I heard the pison knocking while the engine was cold.
Complicated but fragile timing chains
The infamous using oil worn out engine despite rather low mileage issue
The missing 6th gear and therefore much more rpm on the highway than needed or than comfortable.

What I miss about my C50
Styling. It simply is the coolest little japanese crusier.
Sound and look of the stock muffler. Could be louder, but hey, that's almost always the issue with the stock exhaust.
Laid back comfortable ride with the mustang seat and big touring screen.

Now what did I think about replacing it with:
BMW R1200/1250GS: I always wanted a GS, I think you have to drive one to really experience one and understand the thrill everyone has. But in the end I didn't buy one simply because of the price (even with 50000+ miles they are expensive, especially in the current market situation)

Guzzi V85: Liked the Styling, the aircooled engine - and also the price was good for the package.

But - while looking at a Honda at the dealer (which was a Honda / Ducati dealer) I found this gem:
A 2019 Supersport S
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

I always had a soft spot for the Ducati design, especially the front and side fairings which look more like art. (Something japanese sport bikes simply cannot keep up with).
It's a ex demo bike, the price was right, the feeling was right. It's more comfortable than a Panigale, but yet has the indistinguishable look.

Almost love at first sight, sound is right, power is right, just an amazing package.

So this is my new bike. Do I miss my C50? Yes, but everytime I added oil after a higher speed run with high RPM (it only has 53hp at the end of the day) i wondered how much longer would it last? Same with every metallic hammering sound of the slapping piston when cold. And then there's the market situation, the cruiser market is dead in Europe, apart from Harley, Ducati XDiavel and the Kwasaki Vulcan/Honda Rebel. Apart from Harley, non of these are cruisers, the XDiavel is an amazing masterpiece of an power cruiser but not what I want as a cruiser. The Vulcan/Rebel? Meh, naked bikes with cruiser styling. Unfortunately, classic crusier Design only Harley and Indian are left. And both are priced way out of reach in Europe. (Not only by price but also by taxes, where I live every single cc of engine displacement costs tax. F.e. my C800 cost me around 490 US$/year in taxes and basic liability insurance. So a 1800cc is costly.). Same issue applies to the driving washing mashine/drier/toaster/oven called GoldWing. Also a bike that I always was interested in, especially given Honda's reliability.

So next season I will be sports touring around - and then see where I go from there.

Thanks for reading, thanks for the support I got on here with my issues with my C50.

Stay safe, keep the wheels on the ground - and who knows, maybe we'll see again, but next time on a M109!

·
Super Moderator
33,488 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! It's a beauty!

Don't feel like you have to leave. I sold my C50 years ago and they haven't kicked me out yet.

·
Super Moderator
25,587 Posts
best of luck with the new ride...sounds like it should be a good fit for your needs,,,only time and miles ridden will tell...enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Yes, for the types of rideouts that I do, it does fit pretty well, also ergonomics. Sportsbike look, sports bike power (at least for me) but tourer comfort at the same time.

And I've been a Panigale fan since they launched (when, almost a decade ago?).

Now finally, right time, right price.

I'll report back how I like it.

First ride was 50 miles, from the dealer to my garage. It's a new bike to me, so a bit early to tell, and it was cold but:

Power is insane - coming from a C50, ist double the hp.

Seating position and handlebar are comfortable - it's more a sportstourer than a sports bike, even tough it has the sports bike look.

Exhaust note is excellent, including popping on deceleration, with the stock exhaust!

Clutch: It has a cable clutch, like the C50. I would have preferred a fluid driven clutch, but at least there are retrofit kits. After the first ride at the end I could really feel my clutch hand. Maybe its the stiffer clutch - or the lever position, i don't know yet. What I do know is that I never had that feeling with the C50 clutch.

It's tippy, and felt slightly unstable above 75 mph. Could be the tippy nature of a spotive bike, could be the new Pirelli Diablo Rosso IV tires - or could be the non existent steering dampener (which is also availbe to retrofit.)

Those are my findigs atm, I just had one rideout - its winter now.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Congratulations..
She's a beauty. I've had my eye on a sport Tourer for the garage, I'm just not sure how to sneak it in when the wife isn't around.
Way back in 2007 I had an 03 LC1500. I test rode a Vstrom 1000 at our local dealership, and had to have it, the difference in handling and power ! Many bikes later I have a newer Vstrom 1000, and now added a C90.
Enjoy your new ride, they are all good.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Congrats also on the new bike. While the Volusia/C50 was the draw for all of us here, the bike has limitations. The vast majority of members have moved on to other machines. If the C50 was truly best in it's class would be one thing. It is not. The piston slap really annoyed me. While I'm partial to Suzuki, I've settled in with a FJR Yamaha after having a Roadstar 1700. The FJR is a different machine all together from the others. The Roadstar was much more powerful than the C50 but the weight of it was more of a handful. It might have been better for me with an added fuel processor but it would have reduced mileage and the improvement to reduce lugging uncertain. While it might be normal to scrape the floor boards at times with a cruiser, we would sometimes have the frame hit on the Roadstar! We scraped the floor boards at times with the C50 but never anything else. The FJR is more comfortable than the cruiser layout for me. It has thrilling accelleration and handling. I don't have to beat on it to go as fast as I want to go and with ABS it is safer too. The FJR doesn't care what gear you are in at any speed, won't complain, buck or jerk. Slow down for town speeds you can keep it in top gear if you want.

Reactions: alex_at

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh yes, Traction Control and ABS are a must on a powerful bike - at least for me.

Didn't really miss it on my C50, but ABS should be on any bike. Saved me a few times on my scooter (yes, ABS as well as traction control on a 125cc scooter, both saved my a$$)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Congratulations! Ducati arguably makes some of the best-looking motorcycles, and most of them are a lot of fun to ride. Enjoy responsibly ;)

I've also moved-on from my C50 recently... to a 2020 BMW R1250R w/136 HP and 100 lb/ft of torque. I miss the style of C50 though, a bit. I rode my C50 several times after buying the BMW, and it felt wrong, like something was lacking (power, brakes, agile handling, ABS, etc.) I do miss it a bit, and if I kept it, I would have only ridden extremely rarely, and on short rides. So - no regrets.

Here is the Beemer (as it was 6 months ago):
Guten Morgen, Beatrice! | Suzuki Volusia Forum (volusiariders.com)

And here is the C50 I sold:
SOLD: 2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50 Limited Edition - 11,868 miles. FOR SALE - $3,000 OBO | Suzuki Volusia Forum (volusiariders.com)

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Congrats on the new sled... Ride safe.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Congrats on the new ride...my 2007 C50 has close to 105,000 miles now and I keep looking for a replacement but nothing has said 'buy me' yet and when I take her out for a ride, I still enjoy riding her on my county/state roads...

·
Registered
2012 Suzuki Boulevard C50T, 2003 GSXR 1000, 2001 GSXR 600, 2003 HONDA SHADOW, 1997 KAWASAKI ZX-7R
37 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Love the Ducati but not the maintenance for them.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
Congrats on the new wheels. I think we all have fond memories of our first Volusia/C50's. They were a great bike for the money. I still have my 2001 Volusia that I jumped back into riding after a 27 year hiatus. Perfect bike for that point in my life. When I moved to Arizona, it's lack of power, the local terrain and the insane speed limits out here made the Volusia impractical and downright unsafe. I bought a Yamaha Roadstar that eats up the roads and better fits my riding needs. Use the Volusia to do local trips and relaxed cruises. After a heavy Roadstar, the lightness and agility of the Volusia is a real joy. Different rides for different needs. I'm thinking that a Goldwing might be my next bike. The new ones are amazing, along with their very painful price!

Ride Safe and Often!

Reactions: beezer
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.