Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even I have a hard time believing this one...

50 States Ranked for Highest Motorcycle Ownership: You Won't Guess Who's No. 2 (HOG, PII)

South Dakota comes in first with 12 people for every motorcycle beating the national average by 66%. In 2011 the state had 69,284 motorcycles registered, representing 0.82% of all motorcycles in America. South Dakota is famous for the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, which attracted 467,338 riders in 2013.
With 77% of surveyed riders riding a Harley-Davidson, this event is crucial for Harley to not only show off its newest products, but also to monitor its core customer. Investors in Polaris and Harley Davidsonwould do well to monitor how their brand's present themselves at Sturgis to see if they're gaining market share or losing it.
Since South Dakota hosts the country's largest motorcycle rally and has a small population, it's no surprise this rather thinly populated state takes the No. 1 spot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
No I believe, as the numbers are per capita. Also take into account cost of living and lack of beaches, low traffic etc.
yeah I have seen this before. California has double the amount of riders of the next closest state but since the state is so huge and we have so many people its actually 43rd in per capita. Since there are only 10 people in south Dakota only 4 of them have to have a bike :)
All those poor Harley people. I feel bad for them sometimes when I see the price of those things. You guys ever seen that "why Harley riders wont wave back" it cracks me up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sturgis is in South Dakota.
I am quite sure nearly everyone there has a bike to ride once a year for the big rally.
Makes perfect sense SD would be #1.

Plus all the bikes that get left there from wrecks. Sold there during Sturgis, etc..

·
Registered
75 Posts
The no helmet law,Black Hills and rider friendly laws in S.D. is the reason I moved up here. My old state brought back the helmet law and that ended my residency there.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know quite a few folks in The Hills that rent their homes out and leave the Hills during the Rally.

A two week rental buys a pretty nice vacation, some place with less traffic.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Actually only 3 states have no helmet requirements whatsoever IA, IL, and NH.

Illinois with no helmet requirements whatsoever ranks 31.

Washington with mandatory helmet for all ranks 18.

My brother rides his Harley in Illinois with a helmet his choice and I ride my Suzuki in Washington with a helmet my choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts