Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was relaxing in the Jacuzzi tub enjoying a tall mango/vodka concoction and reading the new 2014 H-D brochure , those bikes sure look great and the more I read the more orange and black my water became!
Those boys at Harley sure know how to make ten year old technology sound new and the book makes no mention of the 500 or 750 though.
I was wondering how the Harley faithful feel about water cooling their flagship ride? Looks to me like a nice opportunity to warm your legs when it's cold from the two leg fairing mounted radiators, the downside
is you can't remove the fairings. Personally, I would like to see them properly water cool the engine.
Never the less once out of the Kool Aid I had to look at the old Vol (and my bank account) and thought, Suzuki makes a very decent bike.:wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
ID-Man was riding a TriGlide this weekend. The bike is still hot. The 1/2 breed cooling system doesn't seem to help. His face looked like this:crying: and this:bigoops:. Maybe is was just the exposer of the northern skin to
Florida sunshine!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Don't talk so dumb, people will think you're stupid.

The new Ultra Limited is water cooled slightly.

Reread your signature line or change it.
Easy there Beez, He knows how it works. Personally, I would like to see them properly water cool the engine. The half breed system doesn't work well.

·
Super Moderator
57,613 Posts
Why? Did I say something wrong or just bring the obvious to light?

I thought the Harley riders were supposedly the haters. Harley can do whatever they want. It's their business. If it wasn't for them and Indians paving the way there would be no Suzuki 805cc v twins.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I ride a 2011 HD Ultra Limited, and I live in AZ so it's hotter here than in most places. I don't get as much heat off my Harley as I did from my 2007 Kawasaki Nomad which was water cooled, especially when the cooling fan would kick on.

FWIW, I haven't heard any 2014 Ultra Limited owners complain of heat from the radiators in the lower fairings, the air is vented away from the rider.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I am still excited by the early specs on the 750 Street Harley at $7,500. But from your post their new brochure doesn't even mention the Street Harleys I wonder why not. Maybe they are going to have a separate show room area and treat the Street Harleys like they did the Buell which wasn't every really a Harley.
Liquid-cooled 60-degree V-twin four valves per cylinder via roller rockers with screw adjusters. Called the Revolution X the all-new powerplant is based on the V-Rod. Redline is 8,000 rpm, and peak power for the 750 was said by one Harley rep to be 54 hp at 7,500 rpm, with 44 pound-feet of peak torque arriving at an unspecified rpm. Six-speed transmission Street models tip the scales at 480 lb. wet.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't talk so dumb, people will think you're stupid.

The new Ultra Limited is water cooled slightly.

Reread your signature line or change it.

OK Beezer, I’ll rebuttal since you read this with your glass half empty.
Let’s dissect this post, shall we?
Reading the new 2014 H-D brochure, those bikes sure look great and the more I read the more orange and black my water became!” This means I like the classic HD cruiser look, many bike do just not as well and the more I learn about the added tech it makes them that much sweeter. Heck, if I didn’t have so many other interests that require $$ There may be an Ultra in my garage. (The Chieftain is purdy too but needs a removable matching trunk.) I am actually in the process of adding leather rod king saddle bags and tour pak to my Vol in addition to the Screaming Eagle air filter and front turn signals. Isn’t being copied the most sincere form of flattery?
“Those boys at Harley sure know how to make ten year old technology sound new and the book makes no mention of the 500 or 750 though.” Where to start?
ABS: 1988 BMW sold for the first time an electronic/hydraulic ABS for motorcycles, ten years after Daimler Benz and Bosch released the first four wheel vehicle ABS for series production. Motorcycles of BMWs K-100 series were optionally equipped with the ABS 1 which weighed 11 kg. It was developed together with *** Kugelfischer and regulated the pressure in the braking circuits via a plunger piston. ,[1][2] The first Japanese maker selling motorcycles with ABS was Honda. Honda equipped the ST1100 optionally with an electro/hydraulic ABS module in 1992. The second Japanese OEM was Yamaha that same year. They fitted an ABS on the GTS 1000. Suzuki presented the Bandit with an ABS for the first time in 1997. (Wiki)
Linked Brake System: Honda’s first street motorcycle with a combined braking system (then called Unified Braking) was the 1983 GL1100. (Wiki)
Hydraulic clutch: Can’t find when first used on a production bike but they have been with us for a long time
Liquid cooling: 1974 Honda GL1000, The Project 371 team's final powertrain layout was a 1 litre (61 cu in) liquid-cooled, horizontally-opposed four-cylinder, SOHC engine. (Wiki)
Integrated GPS: The 2006 model had an optional airbag.[11] Other 2006 options were an in-dash GPS with audio information provided through the speakers and headset cables. (Wiki)
Just saying the wordsmiths at H-D make it sound like something innovative you have to give the marketing masters credit, well except for the part where they say “The Street Bob cuts through that crowd like an acetylene torch through aluminum.” I had to laugh, have you ever tried to cut aluminum with a torch? I digress, marketing!
Furthermore if your a proud company why not include the India built bikes in your brochure? OK they will be assembled in Kansas for the North American market. More marketing.
“I was wondering how the Harley faithful feel about water cooling their flagship ride? Looks to me like a nice opportunity to warm your legs when it's cold from the two leg fairing mounted radiators, the downside
is you can't remove the fairings. Personally, I would like to see them properly water cool the engine.”
How do you feel about the water cooling? I have had plenty of “loyalists” say a real bike is air cooled.(Not slamming, just curious). As far as the heat exchangers being in the leg fairings I thought that was brilliant! Now you can have cold air and warm air when you need it, never did I assume it is hot air blowing on your legs all the time but am assuming it is controllable.
It would be nice to remove the fairings in the summer but you can’t have it both ways I guess. And why just cool the exhaust valve area when you can cool the whole jug and head too and bump up compression, hence more HP.
To sum it up I’m not hating on any brand, just appreciate my bike for the money I have in it.
BTW Beez, You have a nice looking ride too!
Regards, Motiv

·
Registered
150 Posts
screw harley, until they bring their prices down to reasonable and their longevity up to honda/suzuki/yamaha levels they are only about the name. Same people that will only buy an iphone.

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
OMG... The noob is in for a rude reception.......

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
19,521 Posts

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
Why is it metric riders (especially new ones) have to give voice to their inferiority complex whenever Harley is mentioned??

I don't own one. But I don't feel the need to justify what I ride, by tearing down what someone else does.....

·
Super Moderator
57,613 Posts
LOL, it doesn't matter as long as people are happy with what they have. I remember when I had my C50 and couldn't justify a Harley so I got a Nomad and couldn't justify a Harley and got a Harley and couldn't justify either of the latter. There's no comparison. It just does everything so much better. :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts