Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
63,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to start any trouble or anything. Just curious as the Volusia/C50 is basically a cheap way to get your feet wet and after you test the waters you usually go bigger. I hadn't ridden in 25 years until 2005 and when I saw how pretty the C50 was compared to other bikes in it's class I bought it immediately.
When I stopped riding an 800CC was a big bike. Lots of 750CC Hondas being chopped back in the 70's. After 2 years of ownership I bought a new 2007 Nomad which I really liked and had set up like I was sitting in a recliner. I had a Mustang seat on it and it was comfortable. I had always thought a Harley was too small for me until I sat on SweetLu's Road Glide. I was constantly knocking Harleys and wondered how big guys fit on them.
After 5 years of ownership of the Nomad I bit the bullet and bought my 2012 Ultra. I sit more upright on it as opposed to the recliner like feel. To my surprise It means I can ride much longer without having to take a break and rest my butt. The seat has gone through changes over the years that now they are very comfortable and most people have no need to change them.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
My C50 just died 2 minutes out of my house to work this morning. I'm ready to move on to something better. I want a V-Rod with a fat rear tire, but I need to wait another 5 years. Gotta get rid of some loans first.

The C50 was my first bike. I'm past ready to move on. I am doing a few years overseas... once I get back I'll get my hands on one.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I've been riding street bikes since I was 16. I'm now 63. In all that time, I've NEVER been without a motorcycle. I've owned over 45 different motorcycles (I lost count truthfully). I've owned most everything except a BMW. Triumphs.....BSA's...Norton......Ossa.....Hodaka.......Rokon......Bultaco.....Benelli.......had 90, 100,125, 250, 350, 400, 500, 750, 800, 900, 1100, 1200, 1500cc bikes from the Big Four, even had a 125cc Zundapp in the '70's. I bought a C50T in 2005. I liked it a lot. So much so that I thought I'd buy a C90T.....bigger C50, so it's gotta be better, right?.......wrong. I hated it. Gave me nothing but problems, was in the shop four times in 1100 miles. Traded it for my Harley and never looked back. I've owned seven Harleys in my life...three baggers, two SuperGlides, and two Sportsters...had ZERO problems with any of them, except the '77 Sportster which was a piece of junk. So......"moving up"........isn't the way I'd describe it..........just different. Harley makes a VERY GOOD PRODUCT now, and I don't see myself ever riding anything else.

·
Administrator
16,708 Posts
I thought I "moved up" when I bought my Heritage Soft tail. What I found out a couple months after ownership was that I bought a bike that felt smaller than my C50, and not as comfortable to ride.

Sure it looked great, sounded awesome, and was well built other than the starter burning out. Traded it in less than 8 months after I bought it, was looking at the Street Glide and XC, got the Vic, then I went out and bought another Volusia which my son rides.

Truth be told - I still miss my C50, did everything I asked it to do, kick myself for getting rid of it. Don't ever see myself buying another HD unless it's a Sportster that I can chop up and fabricate, which is on my bucket list.

All the above being said - I might have had a different opinion if I went the Road King route, the Soft tail left me with a bad taste in my mouth for HD - they must not have put enough sugar in the Kool-Aid....LOL

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
I've been riding street bikes since I was 16. I'm now 63. In all that time, I've NEVER been without a motorcycle. I've owned over 45 different motorcycles (I lost count truthfully). I've owned most everything except a BMW. Triumphs.....BSA's...Norton......Ossa.....Hodaka.......Rokon......Bultaco.....Benelli.......had 90, 100,125, 250, 350, 400, 500, 750, 800, 900, 1100, 1200, 1500cc bikes from the Big Four, even had a 125cc Zundapp in the '70's. I bought a C50T in 2005. I liked it a lot. So much so that I thought I'd buy a C90T.....bigger C50, so it's gotta be better, right?.......wrong. I hated it. Gave me nothing but problems, was in the shop four times in 1100 miles. Traded it for my Harley and never looked back. I've owned seven Harleys in my life...three baggers, two SuperGlides, and two Sportsters...had ZERO problems with any of them, except the '77 Sportster which was a piece of junk. So......"moving up"........isn't the way I'd describe it..........just different. Harley makes a VERY GOOD PRODUCT now, and I don't see myself ever riding anything else.

What a neat Zundapp! You truly dont see a lot of those...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
My C50 just died 2 minutes out of my house to work this morning. I'm ready to move on to something better. I want a V-Rod with a fat rear tire, but I need to wait another 5 years. Gotta get rid of some loans first.

The C50 was my first bike. I'm past ready to move on. I am doing a few years overseas... once I get back I'll get my hands on one.

Saw my first Vrod chop last year, about 100 pounds torn off the bike. I could imagine with the rider that was on it, it had the potential to be a real menace :)

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
Not to start any trouble or anything. Just curious as the Volusia/C50 is basically a cheap way to get your feet wet and after you test the waters you usually go bigger. I hadn't ridden in 25 years until 2005 and when I saw how pretty the C50 was compared to other bikes in it's class I bought it immediately.
When I stopped riding an 800CC was a big bike. Lots of 750CC Hondas being chopped back in the 70's. After 2 years of ownership I bought a new 2007 Nomad which I really liked and had set up like I was sitting in a recliner. I had a Mustang seat on it and it was comfortable. I had always thought a Harley was too small for me until I sat on SweetLu's Road Glide. I was constantly knocking Harleys and wondered how big guys fit on them.
After 5 years of ownership of the Nomad I bit the bullet and bought my 2012 Ultra. I sit more upright on it as opposed to the recliner like feel. To my surprise It means I can ride much longer without having to take a break and rest my butt. The seat has gone through changes over the years that now they are very comfortable and most people have no need to change them.

i had a Heritage and moved up to a Ural.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry but I am quite happy with my 2008 M50, 1982 Silverwing(500cc) and my 1975 Goldwing(1000cc). If I had the money I would consider adding (not moving to) a Harley to the stable. Alas disability retirement Doesn't budget well for that.:shades:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
What a neat Zundapp! You truly dont see a lot of those...

It was an early '70's model. Don't remember the exact year, but it ran STRONG for a 125! I remember riding double with my wife to the Columbus, Ohio Charity Newsies motorcycle race (about 110 miles from our house), and it would run 65 mph all the way! I also owned an Alsport Steen....remember those? They didn't stay in business long. Fun little bikes though....

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had a 2008 C50 and loved it. I think I have posted this before, but that bike might have saved my marriage. We were drifting apart and I was pretty sure the direction we were headed could lead to only one thing. Since I knew she rode many years ago and after 20+ years not riding I was getting the itch a bit. What helped me with the final decision was that maybe it would allow us to reconnect and do some things together again. At first this was a huge failure. When introduced to it she was completely unimpressed and could only say, 'why didn't you get a Harley?'

Not what I was expecting. So decided that it was worth the effort and if she didn't want to participate that didn't stop me so off I went all over the area. After a few months she asked to go for a short ride. Then she wanted to go every weekend. Then she wanted to do some long distance riding. My suggestion was to get a bike more equipped for 2up touring and my first thought was a Harley. We test rode and she didn't like it. We looked at a lot of other bikes but nothing that she really liked.

One day coming home from a ride we stopped at the local Harley dealer and she saw a Limited that she loved the color. She said I could buy a Harley if I get that color. So after 2 years and 22,000 on the C50 we then owned a 2010 Ultra Limited. Now this was actually my second Harley the first being a 74 cu inch shovel from the AMF days. The Ultra was no comparison. Now, 4 years and 37,000 miles later I traded the 2010 for a 2014. Really like that bike with my only complaint is that it doesn't fit me, as with any bike. I am in the process of making it feel right for me and putting on some more memory filled riding.

Funny, I have been retired for 2 years now and thought I would be riding so much more but that hasn't been the case. At least the opportunity is there!

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
But seriously, I got in about the same time you did, Beez. 2004-2005. I always though that a cruiser would be the right bike for me.

The revelation came at a Yankee Rally when we had a planned stop/BBQ at a dealer. I sat on a VStrom on a whim, and the light bulb went off. Taller, feet below me, felt more part of the bike. I went home and immediately started looking, bought one, then sold the Volusia.

"Upgraded" again to a R12GS, and really wouldn't think of anything else as my primary bike. Maybe when it becomes more difficult to throw a leg over that tall bike, but that won't be for a long time.

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
Funny. But in all the years I've been riding, I've never considered getting a different bike as 'moving up' or 'upgrading'. They simply better suited my needs than the previous one....

Reactions: moenko

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
I rode a lot of Honda's growing up and into my early adult life. Then I took a break for awhile while I raised kids. When I was ready to get back into it Yamaha was the big thing. But one sit on the C50 and I was sold. Such a beautiful looking bike.

But for two up riding we were never really comfortable and it felt light out on the wind swept prairie. I went looking for a C90, wanted more power and more weight. What I found was a new Kawi 1600, it was an 07 and by the end of 08 it was still unsold. 09's were just ready to come out and the dealer was ready to dump it so I got an incredible deal on it. It was no Nomad, I put hard bags and true dual exhaust on it and it was a great bike, put 30k miles on it. But it was top heavy. Ultra handlebars helped some, but it was always a handful at slow speed.

I really thought the Vaquero was going to be my next bike, but I was unimpressed after two demo rides. I went to Sturgis and rode 11 different bikes in 2 days. Really didn't find the right fit. Then in discussion with a buddy who had an 07 Street Glide he explained that frame change on Harley's in 09. He said that frame change made the bike a little wider right at the nose of the seat and for short folks like us the 08 is a better fit. He had an 07 which had the front lowered 1 inch. I rode his and THAT was the combination I was looking for.

I've got an 08 SG that is lowered a little over an inch in the front. I can completely flat foot the bike and HD has such a low center of gravity that it handles perfectly even two up for us.

I don't think anybody makes a bad bike anymore. Oh there are some obscure brands out there I wouldn't touch, but Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi, Harley, they are all good motorcycles.

I can't say my Harley is better than any of the Honda's I had, or my Suzuki or my Kawasaki. But I can definitely say I LIKE it better than any of my others. I don't ever see myself on anything other than a Harley ever again.

That's not kool aid talking, that's just a fact that FOR ME, Harley does more of what I want in a motorcycle and FOR ME their cost is not out of reach or unreasonable.

They changed the frame again in 2014. I was really hoping to get some demo rides in this month at Sturgis but weather ruined that plan. So I'm still looking forward to demoing a Rushmore model this year yet and check the fit.

I'd like to do a Road King this time, I'm kinda over the whole batwing thing and a radio on a bike is a waste for me, I listen to the pipes.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I loved my C50, but I never liked the 4.1 gallon tank. When I replaced the C50, I ended up riding every cruiser (Nomad, Victory, Indian, Yamaha, Honda before settling on the '09 and newer Harley touring frame. 6 gallon tank, 6 speeds, great handling, lots of torque. I have owned airhead BMWs, a VStrom, ST1100, '08 Triumph Bonneville (great bike), but my go to bike is the Road King.

I was able to ride 650 miles home from Bozeman, MT to Seattle this past Saturday headed back from Sturgis. One of our riders broke her ankle in Yellowstone Friday evening (in the most wonderful and at the same time terrible thunderstorm). Saturday early we had to repack loads, leave her bike at Yellowstone Harley, get her released from the Hospital and headed for home at 11:00 AM from Bozeman. I doubt we would have gone all the way two up basically non-stop on a different bike. You might have, but for me, it is the right choice. Gas in Missoula, Post Falls, Moses Lake and home. Full moon as we pulled into our homes just before 11:00 PM.

I did not move up, I just moved to what was right for me.

Reactions: 472viper

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
But seriously, I got in about the same time you did, Beez. 2004-2005. I always though that a cruiser would be the right bike for me.

The revelation came at a Yankee Rally when we had a planned stop/BBQ at a dealer. I sat on a VStrom on a whim, and the light bulb went off. Taller, feet below me, felt more part of the bike. I went home and immediately started looking, bought one, then sold the Volusia.

"Upgraded" again to a R12GS, and really wouldn't think of anything else as my primary bike. Maybe when it becomes more difficult to throw a leg over that tall bike, but that won't be for a long time.
That's sorta the path I followed too, C50-Vulcan 1600- Concours 14. The bigger cruiser was a lot like the C50, with more power and better brakes, but a 300 mile day was a chore. I had been tossing a leg over a Concours at the dealer every time I went in there. Then my friend let me ride his Honda ST1100, and I knew that the ST type ride was what I wanted. Test rode the Connie and the FJR1300, picked the Connie. I don't think I'll ever have another cruiser, at least as a primary bike. It does everything better than a cruiser, comfort, power, handling, brakes, ground clearance, tank to tank range.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.