Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new pipes on your own? I'm probably on the mechanically challenged side and would hate to screw something up. I'm leaning toward having someone/dealer do it for me with pipes, power commander, & K & N filter. If I do that I'm actually leaning more towards buying the components myself and let them just do the install. What do you guys think?? :?

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
I say keep the money in your pocket. Post here that you're having a wrench party. Buy some beer and pizzas. Someone will know how to do what you want. It's not difficult at all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I put a set of V&H Straightshots on my C50 in about 40 minutes. Its really pretty straight forward. And my wife will attest, I'm not mechanically inclined. Save your money....DIY :D

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slimbone said:
Sure, but where's Rancho Santa Margarita?
In sunny Orange County California. Home of high prices to go with that sunset you know! I'm 20 minutes east of Laguna Beach right up against the foothills.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
As easy as it may be I always prefer having a friend over to give me moral support or to lend a hand. As they say two heads are better than one.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hey Basshole,

I'm in San Diego. If you want to do it yourself and want help, just let me know. I can take a ride up there most weekends. I say do it yourself and save the money.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Real easy to do, but an extra hand there to hold the pipes in place while you bolt them in is priceless.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Not hard at all. Use an allen wrench that has a ball end so you can use it at an angle. Put some carpet remnants or a heavy blanket down on the garage floor to keep from scratching the pipes.

You'll be glad you did it yourself, and you'll be saving some moola for some other goodies for your bike.

Good luck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I waited til one of the times the local tool place had a sale on the Allen Ball Plus sets that have both standard and metric keys in it, bought 2 of them, then took one whole set and used my die grinder and a cut-off wheel to chop them just enough above the "L" to have no trace of the bend.

That way I can get the same sized socket to drive them, and have extra long, ball end socket bits. Works great! A lot easier than slipping a box end wrench over the short side of the "L", with much less chance of slipping in tight quarters and dinging something up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I posted the exact same question to the Board about two and a half months ago. The consensus was that I should save the money and do it myself. I did and it was relatively easy. No major problems. I installed the straightshots and the instructions were very straight forward. I king of angered me that the dealer quoted something like $170.00 to install them citing that "you always run into complications". I did not have any. Took me about an hour and a half and I had my eleven year old daughter help me. Actually, she did the install and I helped her :D

Try it. You will be fine and there is a sense of pride in a job well done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts