Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started getting a fairly strong smell of gas fumes from my bike, I don't see any leaks anywhere, I don't have a clue where or why that is, any ideas?

·
Registered
458 Posts
make sure the gas cap is sealing good. Is your bike FI or carb. If its carb make sure it is not overflowing which could indicate a float level issue.
Any other mods to the intake?? A rich running bike could put off some gas oder??

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mxvin said:
make sure the gas cap is sealing good. Is your bike FI or carb. If its carb make sure it is not overflowing which could indicate a float level issue.
Any other mods to the intake?? A rich running bike could put off some gas oder??
double checked the gas cap yesterday, it"s Fuel injected and no mods done to the intake.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have an 05 C50 and get that same smell every now and then. Maybe if we do the "gas cap mod" (you can search it), it'll help? I think I remember that dealing with the cap losing gas vapors. That's the only thing I can think of.

Alexi

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
sfalexi said:
I have an 05 C50 and get that same smell every now and then. Maybe if we do the "gas cap mod" (you can search it), it'll help? I think I remember that dealing with the cap losing gas vapors. That's the only thing I can think of.

Alexi
The gas cap mod was to make sure you didn't lose the key hole cover

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Is it a sometimes smell or all the time smell? I have a sometimes smell on my '07. Posted about it last summer (since that's pretty much the only time I smell it). Was told that's normal, just some fumes escaping. Kinda like a gas tank fart or something.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Air4ceOne said:
Is it a sometimes smell or all the time smell? I have a sometimes smell on my '07. Posted about it last summer (since that's pretty much the only time I smell it). Was told that's normal, just some fumes escaping. Kinda like a gas tank fart or something.
Guess I'll have to watch it a while and see if it comes and goes, not sure yet.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Make sure you fill it on the kickstand, and just to the bottom of the neck. It's really easy to overfill the bike and get a bit splash out of the tank.

Not that I've ever done that. ;)

·
Registered
858 Posts
TampaBlues said:
I've started getting a fairly strong smell of gas fumes from my bike, I don't see any leaks anywhere, I don't have a clue where or why that is, any ideas?
My bike is a 2007 and it does the same thing . Am not too concerned as it does it once in awhile :) Matter of fact it did it yesterday when i went for a ride. I did fill up the day before ,but to the best of my knowledge i did not overfill and the tank was dry around the gas cap when i noticed the gas odour. So it may or may not have to do with getting a bit more gas in the tank then what is called for?

Henry

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Air4ceOne said:
I have the same thing on my 05 and I attribute it to the gas tank "farting". The cap is vented............

·
Administrator
53,918 Posts
TampaBlues said:
My '05 occasionally emits a gassy odor, usually after I've fueled it, or after I've eaten at a Mexican Restaurant. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
16,535 Posts
Psyc0 said:
TampaBlues said:
My '05 occasionally emits a gassy odor, usually after I've fueled it, or after I've eaten at a Mexican Restaurant. :biglaugh:
:lol: :lol: :lol: maybe they should have clarified and said "gasoline" odor
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bite on this one.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've had the same problem with my 04 since it was new. It doesn't matter if the tank is full or not, when I get back from a ride, it will stink up the entire garage with gas fumes. It did this when stock and after a rejet with K&N. I've vented the gas cap before parking it, but it doesn't make any difference. My next project is to remove the pair valve. We'll see if that makes it any better.
I posted a question about this a couple years ago, but there weren't any suggestions that there is a mechanical problem. In fact, the bike runs great and gets great mileage. It just stinks after being ridden.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
My '04 Volusia, smells of gas whenever I shut it off. Stronger in our garage since it is enclosed, but it has done it since I bought it in July 2004. I don't have a PAIR valve, I have rejetted and run a UNI filter on the carb. No gas leaks from the bike, and the plastic clear hose from the carb to the neck is dry.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think it's just with the pressure changes in the atmosphere and temps getting warmer. Mine has it too when i park it in the sun. It it's not leaking in any of lines its probably just excess pressure. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just had my 08 C50T to the dealers for service. I mentioned I had the same problem, a strong smell of raw gas at different times. THey checked and told me the seal on my gas cap was bad and they were ordering me a new gas cap. They said warm weather, or even sloshing the gas around while riding makes the fumes well up past the gas cap seal if its not good. They also cautioned me against filling tank past the bottom of the tube inside the tank.
Happy riding yeah spring has sprung

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I used to smell it often on my bike untill I cleaned off the seal and top of tank. I make sure the cap is pushed down all the way too.

BigSlick said:
I just had my 08 C50T to the dealers for service. I mentioned I had the same problem, a strong smell of raw gas at different times. THey checked and told me the seal on my gas cap was bad and they were ordering me a new gas cap. They said warm weather, or even sloshing the gas around while riding makes the fumes well up past the gas cap seal if its not good. They also cautioned me against filling tank past the bottom of the tube inside the tank.
Happy riding yeah spring has sprung

·
Registered
789 Posts
I always wondered if anyone else had this.... my 01 always stinks of gas, no matter what I do. It doesn't matter if I'm full or almost empty. I have 2 friends that have Vols and neither of theirs smell of gas. Makes me wonder what it could be...

I even took it into a mechanic and had them rejet as well as check every single place where gas could be seeping, no dice. Now I'm pissed... I had it jetted according to the chart (did it myself) but with the gas smell, I was worried and had them dyno it, and I lost a lot of power doing it. CRAP. Now I have to buy a 150 or a 155 main and a bigger idle jet again and put it 'back'. CRAP!!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts