Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all! I just put a vs1400 drive on my 2008 c50 and got a chance to take it out for a while last night. Geberally I was very happy with the stretched out gears and on the back roads I was cruising in 4th at 55 or 60. when I jumped up into 5th to go a little faster the power and torque were no where to be found. I knew to expect some low end loss with the different gearing, but there was just nothing there in 5th. Iis this generally what others have experienced? I have a gman bully package on order, is there any chance that can give me some pull again? thanks for any input.

·
Registered
19,513 Posts
You shouldn't be using 5th until 60 mph or better. Yes, it affected the rpm of the engine, which also affects where and how it makes its power.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The bike likes a higher rpm so in the instance your referring to, I would have dropped it back into 4th, rolled on as much as necessary and then dropped it into 5th. Remember,
5th is overdrive like, so like in a car with automatic transmission, if you were cruising in an overdrive gear and you decided to pass someone or had a grade to pull, the transmission would shift up one gear and then you've got more power. Same thing with the bike now. Only, your going to have to clutch it and shift up one and then go...

your 4th now is the old 5th gear in terms of ratio.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I have a VL1500 and I cannot touch 5th gear until 60MPH, so it is normal, and just get used to driving the back roads in 4th and leave 5th gear for the interstate

·
Registered
513 Posts
I always thought that even with stock gearing, 55mph is better done in 4th gear, leaving 5th for 60mph or better.

With the DJ drive, I would DEFINITELY stay in 4th.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
hi all! I just put a vs1400 drive on my 2008 c50 and got a chance to take it out for a while last night. Geberally I was very happy with the stretched out gears and on the back roads I was cruising in 4th at 55 or 60. when I jumped up into 5th to go a little faster the power and torque were no where to be found. I knew to expect some low end loss with the different gearing, but there was just nothing there in 5th. Iis this generally what others have experienced? I have a gman bully package on order, is there any chance that can give me some pull again? thanks for any input.
You've begun to understand some of the changes that occur when you change the rear drive gear ratio to a drive from a much bigger CC bike. There is a learning curve associated with it. For most here, its what the bike has needed or should have been built with in the first place. For others, smaller group, the change is not necessary. The gman bully may not make that much of a difference. I have the Power Commander but it was on before the Modded drive was installed. So, I do not know how much that adds. Minimal I assume due to the bike only being an 800cc. The drive does not increase top end. It reduces rpm.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
The pdf in the attachment below is from the original DJ drive.

It shows rpm and speed equivalents for the stock drive and the C90 drive.

Noting that the C50/Volusia doesn't start making good power for acceleration until 3200-3500 rpm, [and even better if you start around 4000 rpm] you will need to be above a real 60mph to get results even though you can get the potato music from the exhaust while maintaining slower speeds.

If you want a simple tach to help you understand the ''new machine'' you've acquired by installing the new drive, something like this is easy on the wallet and easy to install......Trail Tech || TTO Tach Hour

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this weekend I installed the bully system with k&n filter and I dj drive with these other mods I am loving my c50 more than ever. completely has me off the idea of trading in for a bigger bike (for now).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts