Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall, I am very pleased with these new pipes. Wanted to go over a few of their specifics with you, plus touch on a couple other things I've got going on with the ride (so far).

As y'all can see, I'm in the middle of some minor dis-assembly with the bike. Fenders are over at Carbon_One's house, have been chopped up to my liking, and ready for the custom paint job. Pictures of the rear fender are shown at the bottom of this post (I had pictures of the front too, but lost them when I accidentally erased an email Larry sent me :brick: ). With the exception of longer road trips, the front fender will no longer be on the bike anyways. Also, I still need to lose the lighbar, OEM headlamp, & fork covers.

There are two things about these pipes I don't like. The first problem I'm pointing to is in this photo... the weld job between the smaller and larger diameter piping is not beautiful. I'm certainly not going to set the system out on the curb because of it, but it could look a little smoother. :?

The other problem is the mounting bracket. I f*#ked with this thing for over a half-hour trying to get it mounted! :evil: The simple fact of the matter is, that the holes are not in the right places. The bracket is supposed to incorporate the holes where the OEM bracket goes, but they just aren't lining up. You can either mount the two at the top OR the one on the bottom. I tried to just barely start the threads on the top to give me a little extra room to screw in the bolt on the bottom... NO GO! Thought that if I tried it this way, maybe I could force tighten it into place. Nope. Also thought that maybe it mounts on the other side of the bike's frame... but not only will the holes still not line up, there is a small lip on the left side of the frame's bottom bracket hole that sticks out too far for a flush mounting. Poorly manufactured part. Period. I could just have a hole drilled in the proper place, but because of where the hole is on the bracket, it might be too close to the edge of the part for it to maintain it's proper rigidity. What I will probably do is just ignore the hole all together. The bracket also mounts directly with the lower frame cover, which is then mounted to the frame a little further up and to the left. Also, the two pipes are connected at the ends by a bolt going through the bracket, and they are also of course, mounted up top by the engine. I'm figuring that as long as I use blue Loc-Tite, and regularly check on these bolts, there shouldn't be a problem just ignoring the bracket's bottom hole.

Here's a picture showing the lower frame cover back on. As you can tell, you can barely see the little bracket that mounts to where the pipes come together at their ends.

The white walls are gonna look great this coming season being as exposed as they are! 8)

So... how do they sound? Actually, not quite what I had pictured, and I was surprised to see that they do have baffles. Just idling, they've got a very nice, lower rumble, which isn't ear-splitting loud. Giving them a quick twist of the throttle, the lower rumble transforms into a sound similar to that of a large pack of angry Rottweilers. You know... the dogs like the ones that chased Gregory Peck's character around the forgotten cemetery in 'The Omen'? Yeah... just like that! :D A longer, gradual throttle twist, displays these pipes' true power. They have an impressive sharp bark to them, that could quickly put an elderly woman into her grave! :wink:

-Slim

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
SWEET!! I think the turn down are my favorites.

Andy

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Damn Slim I just may have to sell my pipes now ....I am a like'n them!!!!!!!! Hell just put the seat back on and get the tank painted and call it done!!!!! Look's freakin sweet bud!!!!!

Oh yeah what is the 1st arrow for ?? in the pics

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments, guys. Also wanted to mention that it was very nice to get the chance to meet [email protected] today. He stopped by earlier so that he could get a glimpse of the pipes in person.

The write-up on the pictures shown above is now complete.

-Slim

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Yehp those problems you speak of slim are common with highway hawk thier directions suck for things and some of thier quality issues need to be addressed. Don't get me wrong guy's I have some of thier stuff they come up with goo Idea's but still need to do some home work on us and what we expect from them ! Still look's sweet Slim I have some stuff in the work's too !!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Love the pipes, agree about the weld though. Oh yeah, if you bob the fenders for good and still have the chrome tips and wanta get liquidate them, pm me.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
raztus said:
Love the pipes, agree about the weld though. Oh yeah, if you bob the fenders for good and still have the chrome tips and wanta get liquidate them, pm me.
Thanks for the compliment, Ratzus, but Rodogy already has dibs on the tips. :(

-Slim

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HeadHunter said:
Ok slim... Lets hear the cost for the pipes and also how loud are they?
Headhunter, the cost of the pipes was $549.00. I ordered them on Wednesday, and they were at my door the next day! Incredible delivery time, and the best price on the Internet for these pipes. I've seen them being sold for over $700.00 on some sites, and $630.00 on meancycles.com. Bought these from classiccruiser.com.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
hey Slim I resent ya those front fender pics. :wink:
Larry

·
Administrator
51,638 Posts
Holy Sh*t Batman!........Apehangers! :lol:

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Slimbone I am so looking forward to meeting you at the TOTT. Thats a very impressive bike you have there ....looking forward to seeing it. Can't wait to meet everyone so maybe I can learn something....

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Slim those look gooooood bet they sound good too. Your project is going nicely. Can't wait till it's finished.

Ride Safe,
Rex

1 - 20 of 53 Posts