Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took off the afternoon. Closed up the shop, picked up my OL. Got this Kury trunk thing, lashed it on with big towels, sandals, & sunscreen. Took off from Friendsville. Just W of Lenoir City turned on US 70.

Now US 70 is labeled a scenic byway, and it certainly is. Runs along the ridge crest with great views, rural scenery, lots of turns and hills. Great road. Then we were in Kingston. Quaint county seat, lakeside riding, interesting new bridge near the Kingston Steam Plant (big ash spill - made the national news). Marina. A flat run into Rockwood, then up the Cumberland escarpment. Climbing twisties, pretty quick still. Onto the plateau, Ozone falls. To Crossville and a bit beyond.

Visited Timberline resort. Pretty nice. Big cold pool, too cold, but a great hot tub. Good food, good scenery, very peaceful, a bar. And no need for a swimming suit. Highly recommend the place.

Then back home, gradually getting dark. Turned on the green LEDs. Just gently wafting through the darkness. I do like that silverstar bulb, or whatever it's called. The OL had never been out after dark before. A bit magical, especially deep in the countryside, the reflectors marking the road snaking in and out of woods, up and down.

Great ride! 150 miles.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Been there , very cool place !! :)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OL really liked it. Couldn't stay for the party, but she's interested in going back for a Saturday/Sunday. She even thought of a costume, relying on my knotwork skills. Don't know whether she'll tolerate a leash.

I was there before with OL2, she got so relaxed she had trouble walking. I know she'd tolerate a leash!

It's a great ride, Hwy 70. Way under-used by motorcyclists, which is a good thing. We only saw a few bikes and no groups. The section between Crab Orchard and Rockwood is especially nice. Remote, don't screw up!

In Rockwood, can link up to Furnace through the old downtown and then travel up to Airport Road. That's a beautiful ride, especially when it drops down to the river at Oakdale. There's a back way to Harriman on the west bank of the river that's interesting, too. Takes some wiggling around on narrow back roads, well worth it.

Another loop possibility is 127 then 68 into Grassy Cove.

And it's worth climbing up Black Mountain, walking over to the amazing rocks.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pictures? None at that kind of place. Former fans may have images of my OL from her Internet model days. Or even one of her CDs with the special shots. She seemed surprisingly popular.

I may get pictures on my next trip out that way, but of the roads and views!

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Timberline won't allow camera's , unless to take pics in private.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
best thing to do , save gettin thrown off the premises

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Timberline had a bike weekend last year. Various contests - I was finalist in one. Fun time! Good spot for a VR meetup, eh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts