Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
another monday morning sitting at the table with my morning coffee looking out the window at all the white stuff covering the ground...started thinking...

january started off with a bang...got to ride, play golf, and do some white water kayaking in a local river...figured ..."wow...this is great, going to be an early spring...thank you"..needless to say, the kiss of death and then the skies opened up and i haven't seen bare ground since

closing out the month of feb this week will hopefully bring march in with hope of an early spring or at least some opportunities to sneak some rides in. Last 2 days of 50 degree temps was a great tease... didn't get to ride but did get to remove the cover...unplug the tender, turn the key and listen to it fire right up...to those still on the fence about a tender...no brainer...get one...too affordable not to have one...

unfortunately too much snow still on the driveway never mind the immediate streets leading to the main roads which were in rideable condition...did see a few riders out and left me smiling for them...no better feeling this time of year than to be able to suit up and feed the need. Kudos to them.

Have noticed lots of potholes in the road from the ugly winter we've been having and will have to make a mental note to include such info into the riding reminders when the riding season finally gets here.

Got to think positive and hope for an early spring or at least some rain to help remove and clean the roads. Those who are riding...enjoy...those sitting like me...misery loves company. Guess I'll tend to the coffee pot...newbies sure don't... and try to figure out if march madness will be the motto here in the northeast for those of us itching but unable to ride. Have a nice week all.

·
Registered
452 Posts
We had a one day window here in central Kentucky Saturday. Several layers and a good windshield and lowers made for a very nice 3 hour ride.

A couple of observations. The skunks came out of hibernation to mate and get run over in the middle of the road. Ahhhh, the smell.....a sure harbinger of spring. And the riders I passed all waved and I waved back. Not the nonchalant two fingers down low kind of wave, but the Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies "yall come back soon" kind of wave. We were all thankful to be on the road, even for a day.

Good Hunting

Reactions: carguy

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
Yup, we fell back into a deep freeze that will be around for the better part of the week ...... -25C\13F right now.

I think I'd rather that than be teased with warm temps and not be able to get out anyway. My bike is stored else where this year due to my guest (Ali) taking space in the garage this winter.

You talk about pot holes! There are more than normal in my estimation, so the city will have quite the job come spring to keep up with all the calls that will come in to report where the potholes are located. :blackeye:

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Back to the deep freeze this week, high of 10 degrees. Have not had a break at all this winter to ride, usually I get a few days a month to ride, if the salt is washed away, but not this year. Pot holes, wow, there are some roads I won't even drive down now in my SUV, this Spring it is going to be horrible on the roads, our roads are not the best to start with but after this winter, I can't imagine.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
70 degrees Saturday. Put 200 miles on the new bike, first good ride after picking her up. Supposed to get back to rainy this weekend, which we need.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
As with DC, a couple of warm teasers here. I don't think I'd get Bessie out even on a good day until the sand washes away. Too afraid of a sand slide!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
it's getting warm enough to ride here, but i'll wait a few days (more like weeks) for them to take care of potholes. i don't want to start the season the wrong way, i'd rather be patient and safe

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
We had a warm up. There is sand all over the roads here. Then, the freeze is back on this week. Unfortunately, the groundhog called for more winter (which agrees with the ever-accurate Farmer's Almanac).

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Heck.....we had such a great winter with very little in the way of nasty weather until this weekend. As I sit and look out my window it is still puking out the white stuff "day 3". Not normal at all. Usually we get a bit of snow and then lots of rain. So far I have about 12" of the nasty stuff on my deck. Darn I thought we were going to escape it.....but not so.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Similar here...at the end of January I posted that I had taken the bike out for several rides in January (even though I had it torn apart for a few weeks) and we were having almost a "record" mild winter, several cold snaps, but only 9" of snow through January. Two feet of snow since then...:biglaugh:

We're deep in a winter wonderland right now, so I don't think I'll be riding anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Good time to tinker.

·
Super Moderator
22,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wifes headed to texas for a week thursday...hopefully will get to at least get one project done that i planned on attacking...basement which has become a catch all or the garage which could use a decluttering and reorganize...owe it to the bike. Smart money goes on I'll catch up on my sleep.

·
Registered
401 Posts
New record-73 inches and counting (8-12 inches forecast for this weekend) as I type, 16F temp, windy with windchill well below 0F. Haven't even considered messing with bike yet. My usual goal of riding by St Patty's day is in danger, no temps above freezing for at least the next 10 days.

·
Super Moderator
9,127 Posts
Bored, bored, bored.

There's nothing I can afford to do to my bike just now (because the next thing on my wish list costs 2 grand), so I can't amuse myself that way.

As usually happens when I have too much time to think and not enough opportunity to ride, I start to consider the (minor) things I dislike about my current bike, and start to consider trading it for something different. I've narrowed it down in my mind to, oh, 4 or 5 other machines. :roll:

Darned good thing I confine this aimless musing to my bike, and don't apply it to my husband! :shock:

·
Super Moderator
22,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the biggest thing i dislike about my ride is not being able ride it right now...they say below zero tonite... shame the roads are still in such bad shape...would have been fun to take a spin around the block in below zero temps just to have done it.

·
Super Moderator
9,127 Posts
When I left for work this morning, it was -4.5 degrees F.

By the time I got to Kingston, it was 8 degrees.

As I was going down Broadway, I saw a motorcyclist going the other way. He was on a Honda Nighthawk ... with no windshield. Full-face helmet ... and blue jeans. I can only suppose that he really, REALLY needed to get someplace this morning. :shock:

Reactions: RellaLou

·
Administrator
16,467 Posts
You must have really pissed off mother nature Dennis - another big storm coming Sunday-Monday

Be lucky to be riding in June....LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts