Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another "happened to me" story. My Vol has the bolts inside out mod on the fender struts. I also have the round sissybar and the corresponding brackets. When I took the brackets off my bike, I noticed that the inside of the bracket was worn down through the chrome, but worst yet, it had worn the chrome off my fender bracket. So please check that your sissybar brackets are not touching your chrome fender struts. I put a small band-aid, literally Band-aid, that keeps them from rubbing together anymore but cannot be seen.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
I would think that a small piece if old inner tube would work better.

Sry to hear about your chrome. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Boxwrench said:
I would think that a small piece if old inner tube would work better.

Sry to hear about your chrome. Thanks for pointing that out.
+1 :( that sucks

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
or instead of all that ghetto stuff like bandaids and inner tubes, you could put a hex bolt run down on it, that will keep the bracket off of your struts.

EDIT, now that i think about it, your sissy bar hardware should have come with aluminum spacers... what have you done with them???

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PhL0aTeR, I do have a nut on the outside like your picture. As you know there is an indent around the hole, which reduces the nuts' acting as spacers. Maybe 2 nuts each may be better.

BTW, ghetto stuff is ok if no one can see it, ie. homeboy cut, kickstand nub removal, golf tee in the PAIR, etc. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
Mort said:
PhL0aTeR, I do have a nut on the outside like your picture. As you know there is an indent around the hole, which reduces the nuts' acting as spacers. Maybe 2 nuts each may be better.

BTW, ghetto stuff is ok if no one can see it, ie. homeboy cut, kickstand nub removal, golf tee in the PAIR, etc. :lol:
unless that nut is way thinner than mine, you have some warping problems in your struts/brackets. There was a good 3 mm between my stuff and the struts when i had mine all hooked up, no touching.

Also i would not define homeboy cut, kickstand nub, mods as ghetto. Those are ingenious mods that kick much ass. Jambing a bandaid between 2 peices of metal where the chrome has already rubbed off is GHETTO as hell because what makes you think the bandaid is going to hold up better than the chrome? LOL

Seriously, backyard mods are backyard mods..... a step up from ghetto... been there done that... and yea, i think the golf tee thing is ghetto.... i plugged mine with a freshly emptied 45 cal brass ;)

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The aluminum spacers, about 1/8" thick came with my wife's C50 which has the billet style sissy brackets. My bracket is the old pipe style sissybar, came from the stealer with no spacers. If you have the old pipe style you may have noticed that you gotta torque the brackets to meet up with your sissybar AND luggage rack.

I will change my band-aid remedy to avoid ghetto. How much are those fender struts anyway?

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
Mort said:
I will change my band-aid remedy to avoid ghetto. How much are those fender struts anyway?
$10 says you dont want to know replacement cost from dealer.... and u might want to hope to find a set on ebay that are in good condition.

Other than that, id might be more cost effective to just have them re-chromed.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PhL0aTeR, I can get two new ones from Ron Ayers for $350.12 plus SH. I don't think I will, I rather paint that frickin spot with Colorite almost chrome. But there we go again, ghetto.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts