Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a way to build a sidecar and subframe for my 02volusia. My back is getting bad and I don't want to stop ridding.. My brother has a tig/mig/plasma rig....
1. Do I need a subframe for my bike or can it be built to be a bolt on.
2. How to rig up the brake system.
3. I want to be able to remove it too.

'02 volusia broken motor on the way to recovery!

Remember THEY are all out to get ya, so be safe and dodge all the IDIOTS !!!

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
You should not need a subframe. The brake system will most likely utilize the foot pedal for the rear drum and create a link rod to the outside wheel drum. Look at Cozy sidecar or Inder car for examples.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Member "Ronnie" put a hack on his Vol and there is a write-up with pics here some where.............................

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
Actually, any bike made after about 1968 needs a subframe. Motorcycle frames are not built any longer to withstand sidecar attachment points. Also, being a real.wet blanket, you cannot build a sidecar rig safely and have an easily removed chair. My first rig was a BMW with a subframe. The subframe would have made.solo.use impossible. Also, proper sidecar setup takes about a day. If you do not align the chair properly... Well, that's not good. Next, the changes to the steering column make conversion.difficult. I am a long time sidecar rider. My advice is to not attempt conversion. To do.it right is a 10000 dollar job (leading link, brakes, lights, chair, subframe). You can buy a brand new rig for less than that. Finally, sidecar rigs are not easy to drive, they require a lot of back and upper body strength, especially if you don't have a leading link suspension. Without.a.leading link it's really hard. After all the work, a used Ural can be found for 6 grand and its.ready to go. I think the trike conversion is a better route if you are dealing with health issues.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
I bought my whole first rig for less than $3000. Even my first BMW rig was only $3999! something to consider before undertaking a conversion.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
Here's pics of my hacks over the last 10 years Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I saw this company on eBay. They are located in Vietnam. They overhaul old 750 BMW's, paint the bikes OD Green, add reverse and a sidecar. They look awesome and they're only 5,000...

But I was talking with wiggles about this... out of country, import/duty fees?, who knows what else.

I wonder if they're still around.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tks Mr E I read your 24/2000 nice write up

'02 volusia broken motor on the way to recovery!

Remember THEY are all out to get ya, so be safe and dodge all the IDIOTS !!!

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
Why is it that the Ural at 40 hp is considered underpowered for a hack, but a C50 at 40 hp is somehow better suited? Just wondering????

·
Registered
382 Posts
Why is it that the Ural at 40 hp is considered underpowered for a hack, but a C50 at 40 hp is somehow better suited? Just wondering????
Just my opinion, not necessarily yours. Ural has 4 forward gears instead of 5 and 100+ more pounds. These contribute to the sluggishness in my opinion, not necessarily yours. FWIW, I also consider the C50 somewhat underpowered. And I would not consider putting a sidecar on a C50, either.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
I saw this company on eBay. They are located in Vietnam. They overhaul old 750 BMW's, paint the bikes OD Green, add reverse and a sidecar. They look awesome and they're only 5,000...

But I was talking with wiggles about this... out of country, import/duty fees?, who knows what else.

I wonder if they're still around.

Unfortunately, those bikes are a disaster. They are using ChiangJang bikes, they do not use BMWs. They take a Chiang Jang, horseshoe in a rebuilt BMW airhead motor and ship them off.... For 15000 bucks. They are the worst motorcycles perhaps ever made....

For 15,000 I could get an old airhead and have a proper conversion done, a much better prospect.

Ural is the only real option right now for buying a ready made rig. Conversions are very expensive.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
I might consider a Ural if it wasn't so underpowered. I wonder if it would withstand an additional 40 hp from nitrous?

Wait...why would I even consider that??? :-?

The Ural is prepared to pull a sidecar. As such, it is the only bike in the world right now designed to do so. Unless its a space age leaner rig (about 30000), I strongly, strongly advise never going faster than 60 mph in a sidecar rig... And 55 is a much better idea. The Ural will do that all day, has the right gears, and the same power curve as a C50.

Overall, its the only bike in the world that is ready made to do the job.

if I had 45,000, I would fab up a 2002 R1150GSA into a rig, but short of that, I cant find another acceptable rig.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.