Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I need some help folks. I have an 03 Volusia that I keep in my dad's shop back home in NC. However, I'm currently a grad student in Georgia. I've been leaving the bike at home and only riding it when I'm home at Christmas, Spring Break, and some during the Summer. I want to bring it with me to school so I will have something to occupy my time when I'm not working. The problem is, I can't afford to store it in a unit, so it will have to stay out in the elements with just a tarp to protect it. It's such a nice looking bike that I hate to do that, especially when I spent so much time polishing her up. Since I'm a very new rider and I know many of you have ridden much longer than I have, am I placing too much importance on chrome and paint and missing the point of owning a bike? Or, are my priorities in order and I should be thinking of how to properly maintain my lady?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tough decision. On the one hand, assuming you keep some Sea Foam in the gas and keep it on a trickle charger, your bike's fine at home with Dad; on the other hand, that means months between rides. Bummer.

If I were you, I'd consider bringing it to GA, IF:
-- the place I'd be parking it is reasonably sheltered and secure (and I had invested in some good wheel or disk locks);
-- I had a good, fitted cover for it;
-- my parking spot was paved, not grass.

I'd keep some Sea Foam or Stabil in the gas, and after every ride I'd cover it as soon as it had cooled and install my locks, with the aim of keeping the bike safe from moisture, UV fade -- and thieves.

But -- I might just reluctantly leave it at home with Dad...

·
Super Moderator
20,499 Posts
get a good quality cover, find a safe place to keep it parked where theres less of a chance of someone carelessly hitting it...being close to you , you have the option to take it out occasionally when you feel like a ride, or just to keep an occasional eye on it...a lock for the wheel is a good idea, maybe you have made a friend there who lives locally and can let you keep the bike on his/her property...not like the bike is going to take up a lot of room. Good luck.

·
Registered
20,218 Posts
If you leave it at the shop, is there a way (cycle jack) to get the wheels up so they don't flat spot? I'd try asking sororities if you can park it in their living room or house commons area. :wink2:>:)>:)

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you dont have a mc jack , leave the wheels on carpet or plywood

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, let me thank everyone who posted for their advice. After some thought, I've decided to leave my bike in NC. If I brought it down here I would have to park it in an uncovered parking lot. Which means I would be worried about security and up keep, since a wheel lock can be removed and I want be able to use a trickle charger. If I leave it at home it will be safe and my dad, even though he doesn't ride, takes it out every few weeks and rides it around the yard to keep the fluids circulating and the tires in good shape. Plus, I can keep my trickle charger on it there.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Given the option to ride or not ride, I would always choose ride.

There are a few more things to consider and that's the bike itself.
It's a 2003. You may keep it factory fresh and it may have 200 miles on it but the truth is it's a 15 year old bike that sold for 10k new.
I've seen countless posts where a bad engine isn't worth the cost to rebuild because you can buy another bike.
Not that these facts exempt you from theft, but they will deter a top end thief which means you only have to deal with joyriders and weekend idiots. A wheel lock will prevent them.

Think of all the college tail you'll pull with a bike.

Ultimately the choice is yours though.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
You need to get your priorities in order. When I started college, I didn’t have a place to live... but I had a garage space for my bike.
No, that’s really true.

Anyway, ride it, don’t hide it. Get a cover, they are better than some garages for protecting your bike, also, you are in Georgia, with a good cover, there are no environmental threats to your bike. The moisture in the garage is probably worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts