Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got a bully FI and K air filter. Went to change the air filter and see that it already had a KN filter in there the whole time. I bought the bike with 20K miles on it. What should I be worried about with riding with a high intake air filter without an FI kit?

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
If I still lived in NJ I would be worried! :biglaugh: With the air quality down there how are your lungs?

About the bike not so much. When the filter was new it allowed the engine to breath a little easier then as it clogged it probably ran like it would with an OEM.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
If you are concerned pull the spark plugs and look at the tip of the insulators. If they are white and pitted, then the engine has been running lean (and hot) for a long time and you have internal damage due to the heat. If the plugs come out clean, tan or black, then you are probably all right. I am curious about what you find. The K&N is known to make the engine run lean compared to factory. After 20k miles like that, it would certainly put the debate on whether or not a fuel processor is needed to bed.

·
Registered
624 Posts
^ +1
I'd love to see photos of the plugs if you pull them. I think it'd help answer a lot of questions people (myself included) have regarding leanness of these bikes with the K&N.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts