Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I just interested in the shortest time someone has owned a C50 and at the other end of the table longest time someone has owned one.

So have you ever bought a C50 rode it from day one and say this is not the bike for me and sold it maybe upgraded to a bigger bike but stayed on this site, please give us the reason why or could you be like me, I am on my third C50 since 2005, I admit I have owned a couple of different bikes as well, so since 2005 there has been a C50 in my life somewhere and yes it may not be the same bike but still a C50 and going on 9 years now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
well i got my 05 c50t mid. 2006. so that is going on 8 years, still riding it and making it my own.

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
I got my C50 in may 2008. I sold it in May 2012 when the engine gave out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I got my C50 in may 2008. I sold it in May 2012 when the engine gave out.
The engine gave out?
How many miles were on it?
I've got an 05 with 32,000 on it, (bought it with 24,000).
Compression is still within tolerance, but on the low side of spec.
Now you've got me a little worried cause I just put a bunch of stuff on the bike.

I also see you've have a Vulcan 900.
Can you do a comparo evaluation between the C50 and the 900 for us?
Interested in your impressions of city and highway performance, and ergos between the two bikes.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
I have a 03 Volusia, I bought it used in early 2005. So that would make it 9 years for me also. I use it as my daily commuter, I use my Nomad for longer trips, just more comfortable for the longer miles. I have always liked the VOL from day one and the feeling hasn't changed :)

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
The engine gave out?
How many miles were on it?
I've got an 05 with 32,000 on it, (bought it with 24,000).
Compression is still within tolerance, but on the low side of spec.
Now you've got me a little worried cause I just put a bunch of stuff on the bike.
Not to worry, I've been riding my 05 C-50 since the May of that year. I'm close to turning 68k miles on it and I know of many others who have far more miles on their bikes. The simple secret is first to check and change the oil regularly. It should be noted that these bikes will usually start to loose oil ( I hesitate to say burn) after about 1500 - 2000 miles keep it full. I usually just change the oil and filter at that point.
You'll usually find those that blow up their engines on this model bike usually call themselves mechanics and add all sorts of performance gizmo's without really doing the research.
The only failures I've experienced is the clutch, but that was after 45k miles and that was to be expected. The only performance gizmo I added was a DJ drive back in 2007.
I'll admit I am a strong advocate of this add on. In fact to be honest I was considering selling the bike in 07. Then I saw Dan's proposal for the change. I remember all the experts ridiculing Dan and saying it will never work. My bike is proof it does work and it did solve the one thing I didn't like about the stock bike's performance.
I don't pull stumps with it or try for under 3 second quarter miles. It all depends on how you ride.
How long I owed it? I don't know yet.

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
Not to worry, I've been riding my 05 C-50 since the May of that year. I'm close to turning 68k miles on it and I know of many others who have far more miles on their bikes. The simple secret is first to check and change the oil regularly. It should be noted that these bikes will usually start to loose oil ( I hesitate to say burn) after about 1500 - 2000 miles keep it full. I usually just change the oil and filter at that point.
You'll usually find those that blow up their engines on this model bike usually call themselves mechanics and add all sorts of performance gizmo's without really doing the research.
The only failures I've experienced is the clutch, but that was after 45k miles and that was to be expected. The only performance gizmo I added was a DJ drive back in 2007.
I'll admit I am a strong advocate of this add on. In fact to be honest I was considering selling the bike in 07. Then I saw Dan's proposal for the change. I remember all the experts ridiculing Dan and saying it will never work. My bike is proof it does work and it did solve the one thing I didn't like about the stock bike's performance.
I don't pull stumps with it or try for under 3 second quarter miles. It all depends on how you ride.
How long I owed it? I don't know yet.
I wish it were that simple Bob..... But the reality is much different.

I purchased the bike with 2800 miles on it in 2008. I did every maintenance by the book, including oil changes, valve check/adjustment and other oft overlooked maintenance items. I was a fanatic about maintenance, absolutely convinced that the reason people lost their engines before me was because they did not pay careful enough attention to the schedule. If anything, I over-maintained my bike. I ran top-shelf oil with top-shelf filters. I even cleaned the oil sump screen in the bottom of the engine every other oil change. I did not race the bike. I did ZERO performance mods until the spring of 2012, when I swapped out the original exhaust for a Vance & Hines. I added a fuel processor to reduce the possibility of a lean running condition, even though I left the intake stock.

Despite all that attention to detail and absolutely anal retentive adherence to the maintenance schedule, my bike began using oil at about 20k. By 30k, the oil loss was about a quart every 3k miles. By 38k, both cylinders were below minimum compression specs and I was outright burning oil in the rear cylinder.

There is nothing on this planet that could have been done any better or more thoroughly to keep my bike on the road. It died an inglorious death, despite my best efforts.

My Vulcan is a nicer bike all the way around. From the rear disc brake, to the greater power and torque that the engine produces. It is bone stock as well and I intend to keep it that way. I am very happy with everything about the bike. In fact, I feel that Kawasaki examined the C50 and corrected all of the shortcomings they found when they built the Vulcan....

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I wish it were that simple Bob..... But the reality is much different.

I purchased the bike with 2800 miles on it in 2008. I did every maintenance by the book, including oil changes, valve check/adjustment and other oft overlooked maintenance items. I was a fanatic about maintenance, absolutely convinced that the reason people lost their engines before me was because they did not pay careful enough attention to the schedule. If anything, I over-maintained my bike. I ran top-shelf oil with top-shelf filters. I even cleaned the oil sump screen in the bottom of the engine every other oil change. I did not race the bike. I did ZERO performance mods until the spring of 2012, when I swapped out the original exhaust for a Vance & Hines. I added a fuel processor to reduce the possibility of a lean running condition, even though I left the intake stock.

Despite all that attention to detail and absolutely anal retentive adherence to the maintenance schedule, my bike began using oil at about 20k. By 30k, the oil loss was about a quart every 3k miles. By 38k, both cylinders were below minimum compression specs and I was outright burning oil in the rear cylinder.

There is nothing on this planet that could have been done any better or more thoroughly to keep my bike on the road. It died an inglorious death, despite my best efforts.

My Vulcan is a nicer bike all the way around. From the rear disc brake, to the greater power and torque that the engine produces. It is bone stock as well and I intend to keep it that way. I am very happy with everything about the bike. In fact, I feel that Kawasaki examined the C50 and corrected all of the shortcomings they found when they built the Vulcan....
I think you answered the question:
"I did ZERO performance mods until the spring of 2012, when I swapped out the original exhaust for a Vance & Hines. I added a fuel processor to reduce the possibility of a lean running condition, even though I left the intake stock".
That's about when your bike blew up isn't it!

"my bike began using oil at about 20k. By 30k, the oil loss was about a quart every 3k miles"
That's pretty much what I said except I never let my bike get to 3k miles. I changed the oil before then. I consider that normal oil usage
Maybe your not the mechanic you think you are. I support that statement by the very fact that very few Vol. or C-50's blow up with so little mileage.

I agree the Kaw. line is very nice. I've been looking at the voyager myself it's a bit high in the seat and a little top heavy and definitely more expensive, but for distance riding it must be considered.

However, this is a Suzuki, Volusia/Boulevard site. People come here for average reliable information not the experience of one individual who altered and failed their bike.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I agree with Bob. This bike is the best I personally have ever owned or ridden for my needs (not the best bike out there, that mythical beast has yet to be spawned). I have left it stock because I noticed that those bikes that fail are "usually" ones that have performance mods. I also agree that changing the gearing is a good thing in this case, if you do a lot of freeway miles. The only negative that I have ever heard is from those that do not have the DJ mod. saying that the bike will lug. To them I say that over revving an engine will kill it quicker than stretching its legs! I have the parts for a mod and will try to do this soon.

This site is great in that those that have moved to another bike still hang around. However remember it is a human condition that what we are presently riding is the best there is! ( I have bought 2 C50's :wayhappy:)

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
I think you answered the question:
"I did ZERO performance mods until the spring of 2012, when I swapped out the original exhaust for a Vance & Hines. I added a fuel processor to reduce the possibility of a lean running condition, even though I left the intake stock".
That's about when your bike blew up isn't it!

"my bike began using oil at about 20k. By 30k, the oil loss was about a quart every 3k miles"
That's pretty much what I said except I never let my bike get to 3k miles. I changed the oil before then. I consider that normal oil usage
Maybe your not the mechanic you think you are. I support that statement by the very fact that very few Vol. or C-50's blow up with so little mileage.

I agree the Kaw. line is very nice. I've been looking at the voyager myself it's a bit high in the seat and a little top heavy and definitely more expensive, but for distance riding it must be considered.

However, this is a Suzuki, Volusia/Boulevard site. People come here for average reliable information not the experience of one individual who altered and failed their bike.
The engine was on it's way out BEFORE I swapped the pipes. I ran 10w40 then 20w50 full synthetic oil and changed it at the recommended 3000-3500 mile intervals. It was not a case of neglect or using an inferior product. Neither was it a case of abuse or hot-rodding the engine that caused it to fail. It simply wore out, prematurely.

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
Also, I got quite the chuckle out of your insinuation that 'it must've been the mechanic'. If that's the case, then the 87,000 miles I have on my Yamaha and the 215,000 miles I had on my Accord were nothing short of miraculous, because I did all the maintenance on those vehicles myself.

Your insinuation that it is a lack of maintenance, neglect or even outright on the part abuse on the part of the owners is nothing short of comical. Because I said exactly what you are now and believed it with the same level of conviction too. Go back and read some of my posts on maintenance and what I used to believe..... Having your engine blow up despite those beliefs and your best efforts can shake the faith of even the most devout.

It has already been asked by another user in this thread about what happened to my engine, as theirs is experiencing pretty much the same symptoms mine did. Borderline low compression somewhere in the mid 30k range.... But I'm sure you're going to blame that on (a lack of) maintenance too....

Sorry to rain on your parade, but it is what it is. Some bikes die for no reason, other than it is Tuesday.

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
Also, I got quite the chuckle out of your insinuation that 'it must've been the mechanic'. If that's the case, then the 87,000 miles I have on my Yamaha and the 215,000 miles I had on my Accord were nothing short of miraculous, because I did all the maintenance on those vehicles myself.

Your insinuation that it is a lack of maintenance, neglect or even outright on the part abuse on the part of the owners is nothing short of comical. Because I said exactly what you are now and believed it with the same level of conviction too. Go back and read some of my posts on maintenance and what I used to believe..... Having your engine blow up despite those beliefs and your best efforts can shake the faith of even the most devout.

It has already been asked by another user in this thread about what happened to my engine, as theirs is experiencing pretty much the same symptoms mine did. Borderline low compression somewhere in the mid 30k range.... But I'm sure you're going to blame that on (a lack of) maintenance too....

Sorry to rain on your parade, but it is what it is. Some bikes die for no reason, other than it is Tuesday.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I bought my 2005 Black C50 in Sept. 2008. Rode it daily until May 8, 2009. Totaled it on the freeway segregated HOV lane on the way to work by hitting an exit lane crash barrier.
4 Surgeries and 10 months of recovery, I bought my current ride March 2010, a 2006 C50c with 12k miles. It now has 59k miles and burns some oil. Been running Mobil 1 Synthetic for all its life with me and change it every 2-3k miles. Add-ons are debaffled Cruzers, K&N Air filter, Power Commander and the DJ Drive. I ride as a daily commuter on freeway and weekend group rides and epic vacation destinations 2up. I acquired a low mileage C50T parts bike in January for a spare engine if and when this one craps out. My current oil burn is all dependent on how hard I ride it. If I'm just cruising back roads, commuting to work, 2 up with group ride, I hardly see oil loss. If I'm tearing up the roads and riding it like I stole it, hard riding for hours and hours above 80mph, it will burn oil. I know how to keep it at a minimum. Don't really measure it while changing the oil since its every 2-3 months anyway. Its always full after the change....and it will be again the next change.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The engine was on it's way out BEFORE I swapped the pipes. I ran 10w40 then 20w50 full synthetic oil and changed it at the recommended 3000-3500 mile intervals. It was not a case of neglect or using an inferior product. Neither was it a case of abuse or hot-rodding the engine that caused it to fail. It simply wore out, prematurely.
There is no rhyme or reason, its just happens sometimes and would chalk it up to bad luck. I am pretty sure if you ran a comparision of suzukis that blew up at 70k vs. Harleys I expect you would see a big difference. I still think Suzuki/yahama/Honda all make very reliable bikes.

BTW only 3 weeks on my C50. bought an 05 with 2100 miles on it. I have a Yamaha fz6r I bought new about a year ago and sold my S40 to get the C50

·
Super Moderator
9,130 Posts
So have you ever bought a C50 rode it from day one and say this is not the bike for me and sold it....
I did that with a 2000 Suzuki Marauder 800. Bought it from a friend. Boy, it sure felt great when I sat on it in her garage! :biglaugh:

Less than a mile down the road, I knew I'd made a mistake. I found the bike terribly uncomfortable. But the part I disliked the most was how twitchy it felt, like it was waiting to dive out from under me any second.

I didn't intend to trade that Marauder in a brand-new C50, but that's what I ended up doing the following weekend. :blackeye:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Bought my 05 C50 in Sept 2012 and traded it in Jan 2014 on a Vulcan Nomad 1600. I really enjoyed the C50, and wish I could have both bikes, but the gearing and size started getting to me. Instead of continuing to mod it for my needs, figured I'd just trade up and have the same stuff standard on the Nomad. I'd like to get another C50 or possibly a Honda Shadow to bob one day for quick trips around town. Never had a problem on the C50 though, bought it with 4k miles and traded it with 5k more.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
28,293 Posts
I had an '06 M50 that I owned right at a month. Before the first payment was due I totaled it out in a curve. As soon as the insurance closed out that loan I bought my '05 C50. I've been riding her for about a year and a half now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
432 Posts
Change the oil every 2k ,stay away from debaffling the exhast, and keep from adjusting the valves more than 10k miles at a time and your motor will last. The hp difference between the Kawi and the C50 is negligible, it pencils out to 1hp. Ridden them both, the C50 has more legroom. Premature death of the C50 and most modern motors usually comes from either abuse (like lugging the motor trying to get the harley sound) or defeating the mechanical design because the rider is smarter than those engineers and mechanics that actually design motorcycles. These bikes are designed to run at higher rpms than most riders realize. They ain't Harley's.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts