Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was 50º and partly sunny here in No. St. Paul, MN. today and I decided to change the oil and filter on my Suzi and get her ready for the inevitable Winter hiatus. I couldn't resist the urge to take her out for a little spin, so I bundled up and went around one of the local lakes here and enjoyed the beauty of late Autumn on two wheels. I'm still hoping for at least one more ride before the s**w flies. Isn't that why God created Thinsulate™?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It looks like I'm posting a reply to my own post. Let's call it an update. Lows (temp-wise) for the next several days is around 0º. Highs in the teens (above 0º). I am not emotionally ready for this kind of arctic bulls**t. Maybe I'm not the Nordic god that once I thought I was. Definitely not "Global Warming".

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Stay focus Mank......There is sunshine in the months ahead....Soulshine too....Gvt Mule.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another frigid update. High today was 9º above zero. We're talking Dec. 1st here, not Jan. 23rd. This could be a very long Winter! I think I'm going to take the month of January off and head for the left coast. Seattle, San Fran, LA, San Diego, and back to Boulder, CO to spend some time with my daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughters. It won't be on two wheels, but four wheels will have to do.

Reactions: PopPop

·
Registered
898 Posts
It got to the high 50's here yesterday with very little wind. I did a 95 mile loop out through the blueberry and cranberry fields. I only saw 2 other bikes. A perfect day to ride.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I rode Sunday last week and also rode to work this morning in Villa Rica Ga. 49 when I left at 5:40am but will be a wonderful 65 this afternoon. I love winter in the south. Y'all come on down and rest awhile. BTW I am from NW Penna. we used to ride dirt bikes all winter. I was MUCH MUCH younger then. It wont be long till it is 70 again for y'all and you will be headed to bike week. Have fun Bsafe

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
We rode 2up on Thanksgiving weekend in the central Texas Hill Country. Stops in Mason, Llano, Willow City Loop, Luckenbach, Fredericksburg, and Kerrville. Weather was in the 70's, clear and dry. My sister and her husband rode their matching Harleys with us and we had a great time.

Reactions: RellaLou

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
As a former Minnesotan I feel your pain, the winters are sometimes just too long, especially the last couple of years. When there is still ice on the lakes the first of June, ughhh. Was in the low 70's yesterday here and also very nice on Sunday, so I got a couple of nice rides in. Getting cooler now (relative).

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I did about 250 on Saturday but the high eventually got to about 72 after lunch (was in the 40s when I started out). Next day, the high was like 28...that's winter here. If it's in the 40s (even short rides in the upper 30s), I am on the bike to run around town. I just pile on the gear. Yes, the windshield and lowers are on the bike for winter. So, no plans to winterize the bike. Also, we will probably get some days when it is 50+ and I will definitely set out for some time on the road on those days. Fortunately, I have a flexible schedule.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are definitely times when I wish I could ride year-round, but I think it's a blessing in disguise to have some time off without the temptation to hop on the scoot and disappear for the day, giving me the opportunity to work on some other projects. The key is to actually work on the other projects.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It has been one month since my last post on this thread, and I must say that it is definitely WINTER here in the Northland! I'm not a newbie to this phenomenon, but it just feels so freaking COLD! I think I'm getting wimpy in my dotage. I'm actually looking forward to this coming week with temps possibly in the 30º range.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
It has been one month since my last post on this thread, and I must say that it is definitely WINTER here in the Northland! I'm not a newbie to this phenomenon, but it just feels so freaking COLD! I think I'm getting wimpy in my dotage. I'm actually looking forward to this coming week with temps possibly in the 30º range.
I'll admit that the older I get, the less appealing the winter is for me. I used to love the snow and stoking up the wood-stove. Temps this week in the negatives have not helped me... Still need to work & protect my pension, so I'm stuck here for a few more years. :(

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I'll admit that the older I get, the less appealing the winter is for me. I used to love the snow and stoking up the wood-stove. Temps this week in the negatives have not helped me... Still need to work & protect my pension, so I'm stuck here for a few more years. :(
Hang in there for the pension! I toughed it out for thirty years in the food service industry as a warehouseman and deliveryman, took the pension and never looked back. Not too many folks are going to be able to qualify for a pension anymore. That's just the way it's going to be.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ride to la!!

another frigid update. High today was 9º above zero. We're talking dec. 1st here, not jan. 23rd. This could be a very long winter! I think i'm going to take the month of january off and head for the left coast. Seattle, san fran, la, san diego, and back to boulder, co to spend some time with my daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughters. It won't be on two wheels, but four wheels will have to do.
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
hey mank, if'n you decide to come to the left coast, be sure to let me know @ [email protected]
you'll have a place to park your rental bike!!
Ciao

·
Super Moderator
25,574 Posts
finally accepted yesterday I won't be riding for a while...put stabil in the tank...thinking about calling in sick sunday... turning on the propane heater in the garage...setting up the large screen in the garage...and watching the playoffs while I give my ride a good cleaning...lets not forget the football spread also. Figure the games should last 7 hours ...between eating, watching, yelling and cheering...and with fingers crossed getting in some bedroom activity during halftime...hopefully the bike gets finished.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
hey mank, if'n you decide to come to the left coast, be sure to let me know @ [email protected]
you'll have a place to park your rental bike!!
Ciao
Hey Jerry, Thanks for the the shout out. It looks like we'll be out there in Feb. We'll be staying with a friend in Lawndale. I'll keep you posted and maybe we will have a chance to connect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.