Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't want this thread to become a debate on tires, but if you are in the market for Shinko 777's with the wide gangster white wall, please take a look at them at Ron Ayers. I just bought a set for $155.96 and free freight.

Front 130/90/16 $72.47
Rear 170/80/15 $83.49

The web site states the sale ended in November but they honored the price when I called them. Their SKU numbers are 87-4188 and 87-4576. Worth a look and the best price I have seen on these. I am not sure I will like the white walls and only wash the bike in years ending in 98 so did not want to invest a larger amount until I know I like them.

For what it is worth

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's a really good price. I bought a set last summer from Amazon, was around $180 or so shipped. I love the look of the whitewalls. Totally transformed the look of the bike. It's not too bad keeping them clean, 5-10 minutes, some Westleys Bleach-White and a stiff brush and the grime falls right off.

·
Registered
670 Posts
yeah, I literally just bought a set of Metzier ME880www this past week. about $350 with warranty!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I really like mine. Not hard to keep clean at all but I don't get out in the wet stuff on purpose. At that price, you can't go wrong even though someone will no doubt tell you they won't last very long. But for what you paid, you can replace every couple of years!!:wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
got 13k mi on the rear and 15k on the front of the Metz. Does anyone know how long the Shinkos last?

·
Registered
19,528 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Scrapion says that in ANY thread that even mentions Shinkos. But I've got about 5000 miles on mine and they have well over half of the tread left. Glad I didn't listen...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Scrapion says that in ANY thread that even mentions Shinkos. But I've got about 5000 miles on mine and they have well over half of the tread left. Glad I didn't listen...
And the reason he would say that in this instance is... If your 1/2 way through at 5k miles, and he may and I do run 15-20k miles per year on our bikes, then I would be changing tires more than once per year. With the cost of my Metzlers per set at $400 installed and the deal described for Shinkos at less than $200, there is no savings other than what I save by not paying for installation twice per year.

By purchasing tires at less than $200 per set, you have to determine your mileage per year. If your the kind of rider that only puts less than 8k miles, then your good to go. If your racking up the miles at more than twice that number, than why not go with a premium wear set. Is a numbers game...

Oh.. And I'm not generally one to defend Skraps opinions!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't want this thread to become a debate on tires, but if you are in the market for Shinko 777's ......
LOL. Well I guess it is not to be the case. I have been taking a leak standing up for many years now and read all the threads about tires before I decided that the Shinko's were probably right for me. I just wanted to be of service to the forum and pass along what I consider a great price to anyone else that made the same decision.

No worries and good hunting.

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
And the reason he would say that in this instance is... If your 1/2 way through at 5k miles, and he may and I do run 15-20k miles per year on our bikes, then I would be changing tires more than once per year. With the cost of my Metzlers per set at $400 installed and the deal described for Shinkos at less than $200, there is no savings other than what I save by not paying for installation twice per year.

By purchasing tires at less than $200 per set, you have to determine your mileage per year. If your the kind of rider that only puts less than 8k miles, then your good to go. If your racking up the miles at more than twice that number, than why not go with a premium wear set. Is a numbers game...

Oh.. And I'm not generally one to defend Skraps opinions!
Thanks for the pat on the back, I think......

Look. RV hit the nail on the head. It is a numbers game. Yes, the Shinko's are dirt cheap. But they don't last. When someone says "I have lots of tread left", I doubt very seriously that they have actually gone in there and actually measured the remaining tread depth. Just looking and saying 'Yup, I've got plenty' is a recipe for problems down the road. MC tires wear much faster than you think they should. But that wear is incremental and you never notice it since you ALWAYS see remaining tread on the tire and think "I've got enough".... right up until you go for a few hundred mile ride and you suddenly are down to the cords... "How did that happen???? I had plenty of tread when I left the house this morning!!!!!"

The only way to KNOW what you have left is to measure the remaining tread depth. If you don't have a tread depth gauge, use a penny. If you can see any penny above Mr. Lincoln's head, you are below 2/32" tread and the tire is legally worn out. The tire should be replaced immediately, even though there is 'technically' tread remaining.

I pile on 10-20k miles a year on my bike. The one and only set of Shinko tires that I ran lasted UNDER 7000 miles (as in, they were worn to 2/32" remaining tread depth). That meant, I had to put TWO sets of tires on the bike in ONE year. Not only that, but I had to pay for installation and disposal and taxes twice. Just something to bear in mind, when you think you're getting a 'great deal' on the tires...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL. Ok folks, the thread has been successfully hijacked. I give up.

Good hunting

·
Registered
410 Posts
I said WELL OVER half the tread left, not that they are half gone.

Lol, I give up too. I'm just sharing my experience, since I was told by some on here that I wouldn't get but about 7000 miles out of mine. That's clearly not the case. Looking like AT LEAST 10-12k, maybe more. And they ride smooth and have great grip. Well worth the money IMO.

That is all. I'm out.

·
Registered
397 Posts
LOL. Ok folks, the thread has been successfully hijacked. I give up.

Good hunting
C'mon, you knew it was bound to happen! Just mention Shinko around here and the Metzler fanatics get stirred up like angry hornets. Ok, it's really only Scrap that get's stirred up...just kidding Scrap, you contribute a lot to this forum.

If you're like me and not logging 15K miles a year on a motorcycle, I think the Shinkos will serve you well. The price you paid is a steal and I always appreciate a "heads up" on a good deal.

I'm selling my VOl so I won't be able to give a long-term report on my Shinkos. Considering my usage and if I was looking for WWW tires, I would pull the trigger like you did in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
I said WELL OVER half the tread left, not that they are half gone.

Lol, I give up too. I'm just sharing my experience, since I was told by some on here that I wouldn't get but about 7000 miles out of mine. That's clearly not the case. Looking like AT LEAST 10-12k, maybe more. And they ride smooth and have great grip. Well worth the money IMO.

That is all. I'm out.
Look. There are two ways to determine your remaining tread depth. Just look at it and guess or take an actual measurement. I am encouraging people to quit looking and start verifying.

Not sure what is left? Use a penny and a quarter. If you put the penny head first in the tread and the top of the Lincoln monument is covered you have 6/32" of tread remaining. (At that point the tire is beyond HALF worn). If you're lower than the Lincoln monument use a Quarter head first. If your tread meets the top of Mr. Washington' s head you have 4/32" of tread left and need to begin thinking about ordering a replacement tire. If you are below Mr. Washington then use Mr. Lincoln. If you're below Mr. Lincoln's head the tire is worn out.

I really don't care what tires anyone runs on their bike. I'm trying to get them to PAY ATTENTION to their tires. Quit guessing and assuming you're fine because chances are you've got a lot less tread remaining than you think..... Tire brand is irrelevant. Check your tires periodically and you won't have as many surprises down the road.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts