Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding season is right around the corner. At least for us seasonal guys north of the border.. I ran into an intermittent problem while out riding near the end of season. Had it happen a couple times(just not every time) I would be shifting down to first and for some reason it would not go into first gear. Tried up and downshifting while sitting still and still wouldn't go. I had to reach down with my hand and move it around some and it would go into gear. Be good for a bit then would have to go through that again. Everything seems straight and nothing bent. any ideas as to what to be looking at first.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Start simple:
Spray some WD40 into the bushing area around here...

Work it in, ride around, and see if that does the trick before you go do something more involved.

I keep a small can of WD40 in my saddlebag in case this ever comes up while I'm traveling.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oil can make a difference. Also this does sound like it could be mechanical since you can make it work by hand. You should look a little closer at all the mechanical parts. Also check your clutch that it is adjusted properly. Maybe reduce the freeplay. And change the oil if that does not work.

·
Premium Member
14,395 Posts
Also this problem will occur when shifting while stopped.... That is normal for these bikes. You may need to roll the bike forward a bit to get the gears to mesh. Try to get in the habit of downshifting while stopping and be in 1st before you complete the stop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Riding season is right around the corner. At least for us seasonal guys north of the border.. I ran into an intermittent problem while out riding near the end of season. Had it happen a couple times(just not every time) I would be shifting down to first and for some reason it would not go into first gear. Tried up and downshifting while sitting still and still wouldn't go. I had to reach down with my hand and move it around some and it would go into gear. Be good for a bit then would have to go through that again. Everything seems straight and nothing bent. any ideas as to what to be looking at first.
I sometimes have trouble shifting to 1st gear from a stop. I've found if I let off the clutch level just a tiny bit, it will easily shift into 1st gear.

·
Super Moderator
24,398 Posts
That's normal for the bike. If you aren't in 1st gear when you come to a stop, you'll often find that it will refuse to go in. Either letting out the clutch just a bit and back in, or rocking the bike back and forth will get it to go in. The best way to handle it is to make sure you downshift to first before you come to a complete stop.

·
Super Moderator
56,820 Posts
If you want a good shifting tranny Kawasaki makes them in this size otherwise put Rotella in it. That cured my problem of death defying moments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts